Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Nav in my car and the installer says I need another module to make the navigation work and show the car moving on the screen and my speed etc.... can anyone assist me with this?

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Assuming you also installed a GPS antenna, you definitely need a VSS (vehicle speed sensor to the speedometer) wire spliced into the signal behind the instrument panel (like Wrestler said). The FAQ has full instructions, although it shows the VSS wire as red in one picture, then yellow in the next. It's the same wire . . . Miscreant soldered two colored wires together to get the proper 30" length. I used the proper 'brown' color coded wire for mine.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
You don't need to buy a harness to get a VSS wire. That is the one thing I found to be inaccurate about Reed's FAQ.

Just get a nice copper 20 gauge wire, about 4 feet of it, and tap one end of it into the VSS wire behind the gauge cluster and on the other end crimp a nice little metal connector and it will fit right in the pin hole (7) on the plug to the back of the nav. This cost me 1.00$ for the wire taps and like 2$ for the wire and metal connector. Probably the easiest thing I have ever done, and I am terrible with wiring.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS - white diamond
111 Posts
You don't need to buy a harness to get a VSS wire. That is the one thing I found to be inaccurate about Reed's FAQ.

Just get a nice copper 20 gauge wire, about 4 feet of it, and tap one end of it into the VSS wire behind the gauge cluster and on the other end crimp a nice little metal connector and it will fit right in the pin hole (7) on the plug to the back of the nav. This cost me 1.00$ for the wire taps and like 2$ for the wire and metal connector. Probably the easiest thing I have ever done, and I am terrible with wiring.
sorry to dig up a thread but your saying that the scosche harness is not needed now? just plug from splice on VSS to #7 connector?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
sorry to dig up a thread but your saying that the scosche harness is not needed now? just plug from splice on VSS to #7 connector?
You see... there is no metal connection in the #7 slot on the CTS harness. This is where the NAV needs a VSS wire tho. Any way you want to connect the VSS wire to the harness to make good contact with the back of your NAV is up to you. As long as the VSS gets good connection to the wire you are tapping and the back of your NAV, u are fine.

My personal case, I went out and found a reverse VW harness for free. The connectors that were supposed to slide into the #7 slot did not fit properly, so I rammed it in there hoping it would make a good connection.

I was then sent a VSS wire from a forum member that was supposed to fit perfectly. This wire also did not fit and broke as I tried with all my force to make it snap into the slot (or atleast push it in more then half way, this thing didnt go in!)

I then went back to my old wire from the VW harness that I had gotten myself and really rammed that thing in there and bent the hell out of it. It sits in there and actually sticks out of the front of the #7 slot a little bit. But the connection to the NAV is fine. It worked great on the first shot.

Good luck, relax and take your time!

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS - white diamond
111 Posts
i guess i'll be like everyone else and hit up best buy for the VW harness.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Sorry to dig up this thread again, but I wanted to explain how I hooked my VSS wire to the connector.

These connectors are very similar to the connectors on a computers power supply. I have some old PSU's laying around in the garage, so I cut one of those cables off, took apart the connector and used the metal piece that goes in there with the stock connector on the CTS. Worked like a charm.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts