Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS w/Manual Transmission
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tore apart my glove box in my 2009 CTS in preparation for the BlueStar Bluetooth module. The plan is to completely remove the OnStar VCIM and in its place install the BlueStar 2010, Wilson 801212 mobile amp, 120VAC inverter, and 4 powered USB ports. I have debated extending the GPS cable but in reality, today's receivers are so good its generally not needed in the lower 48. I plan to use this thread to document my endeavors with this project.

I am having the darnest time trying to find Fakra D plugs (male) so that I can make a cable to couple my Wilson amp to the OnStar antenna cable which will require a cable to an FME female on one end and a Fakra D plug (male) on the other. I found the exact cable I need on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/FME-Jack-Fakra-...tworking_SM&hash=item45f35deef7#ht_2562wt_906) although I am a little skeptical of the seller in addition to the lead time issue of shipping from China and its unclear how to order a longer length.

Pasternack has the cables but they want $20 for one and there isn't an option for FME to Fakra D plug so that means getting a Fakra D to Fakra D cable and cutting it. Seems like a lot to pay when I still need to make my own cable. For some reason, they also don't seem to list any loose cable connectors except for PCB mountable ones although most Fakra connectors require a special crimping tool which I don't have. http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/AssemblyInstructions/FAKRA.pdf

Has anyone done anything similar and if so, what route did you take to wire in a cell booster to the OEM antenna?

(sidebar: really weird you can't post links until you have 5 posts)

·
Registered
2009 CTS w/Manual Transmission
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up custom ordering one from China from www.rfsupplier.com and they agreed to make it to my specs. Ordered 50cm length to accommodate different vehicles as its a lot easier to make them shorter than longer.

I bought two in case someone else on here decides to do a similar project or if I end up doing this to another vehicle myself. Just PM me.

I also started work on the old power inverter I had laying around. Replaced its fan with a larger higher flow one and will likely remove its external screw down power connectors and replace with a Molex style plug. I am also playing around with where to keep it. There is a perfect space between the battery and rear passenger tail light assembly but not sure I really want it next to a lead acid battery (they release hydrogen when they charge) and there is no good way to secure mount it. There seems to be a fair amount of space under the rear package deck on either side of the subwoofer. It would be nice to have it interfere with the usable space so it might end up going behind the carpet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts