Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CTS is 10 days old and just shy of 1000 miles. 260 of those miles were driven yesterday, so it's probably a good time to share my first impressions of the car:

Performance: Excellent! When I test drove an '03 last year, I decided not to buy the car because of the engine. The 3.6 meets my expectations nicely. Everyone comments on how quiet the engine is. (Since I usually put aftermarket exhausts on my vehicles, this isn't a big surprise.) The trans in sport mode is fun. In normal mode, the trans shifts through the gears very quickly and smoothly, enhancing the quiet.

Handling: The sport suspension feels great 90% of the time, even on most unpaved roads. The only complaint is that it seems to transmit a bit too much shock to the passenger comparment when hitting heaved expansion joints. Steering at speed is nice and firm.

Interior: Comfortable, no squeaks or rattles, no glare from the instruments. I have a small amount of leather squeak from the driver seat that some leather treatment should cure. I like the upgraded plastic, leather, and the feel of the controls as compared to my vette. The high door panels and short windows take some getting used to at drive up windows, toll booths, and ATMs. I like the auto up window when pulling away from a toll booth in the rain. Before I bought, I wasn't sure about the styling of the interior, but it's grown on me. I like the way the storage bin under the armrest is sized for CD cases, but I'd like more storage space, especially a place for my sunglasses.

Dash & instrumentation: I like the location of most of the controls except the DIC control. It's too far to the right and my wife likes to play with it while I drive. (Get your mind out of the gutter.) Speaking of the DIC, I'd like it to include more engine info like oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, and a tire pressure monitor. I'm not really interested in how many gallons of fuel I've used. It's nice that they replaced the analog clock with a temp gage, but some labels would be nice. I thought the speed markings only every 20 MPH would be annoying, but it hasn't been a problem. I like the feature of the headlights turning on when I turn on the wipers. I want a HUD.

Under the hood: The dip stick is a pain to extract and replace. I have to reach above two A/C lines to start it and then reach under the lines to remove it. I'd gladly trade my engine shroud for an underhood light

Exterior: Love the looks. Paint was quite good with one small mote in the paint on the hood - not visible by eye but by feel when I clayed the body last week. I noticed some sticky stuff on the front part of both rear doors about half way up. Maybe something was stuck there or it was a grip point by a robot during assembly. It came off with clay. I wish the truck opened easier after unlocking. I like the size and shape of the trunk and the way all the hinge hardware stays out of the way of the trunk contents. The mirrors don't pee on the side of the car after washing (unlike my vette). However, the rear license surround sucks - it holds water, fogs after washing, and wicks small particles behind it. The grille is boring and the color doesn't really go with a cashmere car. I have an E&G mesh grille on order. I like the looks of the 17" painted wheels, but my son doesn't. I want the gas door on the left side with a remote release & lock. Oh, and what is the little square thing on the face of the left rear bumper?

Misc.: Fuel economy reads an average of just under 23 MPG. I suspect it will go up, but I have to laugh that at 25 MPG, the vette is still my "economy" car. The door closing sounds like a standard domestic car, not a high end vehicle.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Shh!!
I've been told we're not allowed to mention the ********* here... <looks around nervously to see who may be watching>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
gothicaleigh