Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 silver smoke CTS
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about getting a 06 CTS with the manuel tranny, i was wondering how do these CTS's hold up in the snow? I live in MI so it'll have to go trough some winters

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
gritter said:
im thinking about getting a 06 CTS with the manuel tranny, i was wondering how do these CTS's hold up in the snow? I live in MI so it'll have to go trough some winters
Not a problem at all. I'm in Ontario, drove my '04 through winter on the stock tires, no prob. Get snow tires if you wanna be safe.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i concurr. i've said it before, i'll say it again...i think the cts does fine in snow, i run the stock tires also. i feel you about michigan...gets ugly. just be careful around those side-street turns unless you enjoy playing, like me.

·
Registered
03 CTS *sold*
66 Posts
The first major road trip I took in my CTS was through the hills of PA... and for some reason they decided not to plow the roads.

Mind you, the car needs rear tires - but it still made the whole drive!

(If you want a little added support, get some tube/traction sand and set two bags in the trunk. It does help if ya need it. ;) )

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is my first rear wheel drive since 1978. I've been on a steady diet of front wheel drive prior to this. We are in the middle of a nasty cold spell here in Colorado and the CTS is doing great with the stock M&S all seasons. I actually prefere to run it with TCS turned off so I can drive by feel. I'm very impressed with it's handling in snow.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I just shod my car with a set of winter tires JUST TO BE SAFE. I'll let you know how they perform after the next round of snow comes through.

btw, my car handled OKAY last week with the stock tires. I was amazed at how easily I could spin out on 90 degree+ turns. Also, I slid all over the place with a mere dusting of snow on my parking garage roof at work (but I think there was a thin layer of ice from the rain-to-snow changeover).

·
Banned
394 Posts
we had our first ice over in Dallas. I had the 18" tire on...The CTS did farely well with the snow button and stabilitrac on the ice. Here in Dallas, we dont get snow...but mostly ice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm in IN with about 9" currently. I'm runnin' Yokohama Ice Guards all the way around and two tubes of sand (60lbs each) in the trunk. Runs just as good as my brother's Liberty, no joke.

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
With stock RS-As, they suck. I've owned a lot of RWD cars and the CTS was among the worst last winter. This year I bought Dunlop Graspics and the difference is phenomenal. Now I actually look forward to the snow :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Quick update:

My new snow tires handled extremely well in tonight's bad weather in and around Cleveland. I passed several cars and trucks on the freeway. In fact, I drove the car as if I was riding on dry pavement. I even felt a sense of invincibility! :thumbsup:

Tire: Dunlop M3

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
johnnybn said:
I'm in IN with about 9" currently. I'm runnin' Yokohama Ice Guards all the way around and two tubes of sand (60lbs each) in the trunk. Runs just as good as my brother's Liberty, no joke.
Where in IN? We've got about 6 or 7" on the ground in Indy right now, I was dragging the belly when I drove down a road that hadnt been plowed or used by anyone else. Other than sliding around a bit, I didnt have too much trouble. The left tires are a bit thin on tread so it may be time to start looking for good deals... (not sure why its only the lefts, the rights are pretty much fine)

·
Registered
32 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
The left tires are a bit thin on tread so it may be time to start looking for good deals... (not sure why its only the lefts, the rights are pretty much fine)
Too many right turns or your racing on an oval track going the wrong way. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
We had our first real snow yesterday, 4 inches with sub 10 degree temps. The evening commute was problematic, they had not cleared the roads yet. I just used 2nd and 3rd judiciously and took my time. The car handled fine (much, much better than the Vette last year). Only problem I had was backing out of my space at the office. The maintenance guy had plowed the aisles and left 6-8 inch ridge behind our cars.

I'm running Pirelli P-Zero Neros and they seem to work just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chuck C said:
Quick update:

My new snow tires handled extremely well in tonight's bad weather in and around Cleveland. I passed several cars and trucks on the freeway. In fact, I drove the car as if I was riding on dry pavement. I even felt a sense of invincibility! :thumbsup:

Tire: Dunlop M3
Just got my M3's on the other day (purchased them from a user on this forum) and was extremely pleased with them. MI was hit with a snow storm so I got them on just in time. Plowed right up my driveway with over 7" of snow in it. I couldn't even get halfway in my other tires. The roads were plowed but the car handled 10x better than it had on similar conditions. Overall, the car handled much better than my FWD Sunfire had in the past with the M3's on. All of the schools in the area were closed (rare for my area) for bad conditions but the car still handled perfectly. Hopefully this will continue.

·
Registered
2003 3.2L Luxury Raven Black
120 Posts
Someone help to better understand the traction control button. We had gotten @ 6" of snow in Chicago yesterday I pushed the traction control button and I noticed when I started to fish tail then the traction control message would come on saying engaged, also if I had the traction control button off it would automatically kick in is this supposed to happen? And do you still find yourself fishtailing?

·
Registered
11 CTS Sport Coupe, 2000 Carrera GT3, 2013 Jetta
86 Posts
Well I caved in today. Ummm.... to be fair it wasn't my fault. I get a call at work from the spouse, yelling at ME that the "tires SUCK". Seems she can't get up a small hill on the way to work and blocked traffic. I got her to turn off the TCS and do a mini donut and reverse her direction and pick a different route. Then it's 5 minutes of, "We need snow tires":mad2:. ME: "I thought we were parking the caddie for the winter". HER: "NO, I like the heated seats". ME: "But, I TOLD you about the RS-A tires not being the best..." HER: I can *see* her cold stare:annoyed: at me over the phone and silence from her, oh and the sound of spinning GoodYears in the background...

I lose - I called up a dealer and got lucky, he had four X-Ice's and 17 inch steel rims in stock. (sigh) Picked them up after work (I work 70 miles from home) and brought them home and had the local fools at Canadian Tire put them on. (Whole different story for later on these knobs!:cookoo:)

They are 255/55x17's and the max psi is listed as 51psi!! They put 30psi all around and it seems way too soft. I'm going to have to find a lot somewhere with snow and up the psi to maybe 38 or 40 to see how it feels. I also think they need a couple of heat cycles in them, but in winter it could take several weeks of running on dry pavement at a good clip before they settle down. So far on some nicely salted/melted iced up pavement, I was happy at the grip levels I found.

The one complaint I have that is not going to be solved very soon is the E- gas. There is something wrong with the program and I had the dealer admit it to me last month. It just doesn't respond quickly or smoothly at low rpm. Off the line you can almost count to 2 before something happens from the back end and then it's all wheelspin if your in snow or wet roads when it does happen. He just shrugged and gave me the, "what can you do" look. He thinks I'm picky cause he knows I race and do indoor karting, but I really feel that I've felt more responsive Singer sewing machine foot pedals then the Caddie's gas pedal!

GM really has to rethink either the hardware or the software or both.
I had a 998 a few years back with the first E-Gas that Porsche produced and it was way better then this car. This E-gas set up in the CTS reminds me of the first ABS GM installed in the F body cars - locking up the brakes on bird sh*t but not working in heavy rain!

Oh and I had a recall last month for a *firmware* upgrade - but no one knows why or what the upgrade does - or not willing to tell me. I think I'm more afraid if they don't know then if they don't want to tell me...:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts