Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 cts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, kinda freaked out right now..i have a 03 cts 3.2..earlier i was driving on the hwy..was going up a hill going about 90 in sport mode...then all of the sudden my rpms shot all the way down to 0 and the battery light came up on the dash for about 5 seconds then returned to normal..then 10 seconds later it did it again and i pulled over immediately & as i pulled over the car began to shake really suddenly. i turn the car off to check if it was leaking or over heating but everything was fine.

when i get back in to start it up, the car wouldent start!, it would shake really badly for about 5 seconds & try to turn over but would die out with the battery light flashing. after a few attemps i decided to disconnect the battery and it finally turned over..after that it was smooth..no meesaage on the dic came on and no codes popped up when i pressed the f1 and f6 buttons. do you guys have any idea of what it could be?..i would really like to fix this before it happens again. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
The RPMs dropped to 0 exactly or they dropped to about idle (5-600 rpm)? Did the car turn OFF if they dropped to 0? Engine stop, etc. Even if you pull the codes, you should still have H codes (history codes) existing. Your best bet would have been to pull the codes before you disconnected the battery.

No leaks or anything, correct? Check the codes again, try running it hard for about 20 minutes and see if it happens again. If it does, code it and come back.

·
Registered
2003 cts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick response. yea the rpm dropped to 0 for about 5 seconds it felt like i had lost power then 5 seconds later it turned back on and the rpms shot back to normal. there was no leaks or any signs of over heating..i pulled the codes before i disconected and nothing popped up..no cel or any message on the dic. when i restarted the car it drove normal all the way home. i ran it for about 40 mins after with no problems.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)...i had a very similar issue at one point in time when my CPS went bad

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Was the battery terminals on tight?
Get your battery tested, that sounds like it stalled out and somehow bumpstarted itself...is it a manual or auto?

·
Registered
2003 cts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the responses guys! i got a brand new battery 2 months ago and the terminals were on tight. it certainly did feel like it stalled and started it self..i have an automatic thats why all this is soo strange to me, it felt like it stalled while doing 90, the rpm shot down to 0 but the sterio and all the lights still worked...then a few seconds later it went back to normal like it bumpstarted it self like you said ghettomike.

txbest, would the cps be the cause for the battery light coming on and flashing when it stalled in drive?, would that be the cause for the car not being able to start after?

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
i dont no where they are located off hand, but check your engine and all other ground wires, you may have a loose/defective one.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
i dont no where they are located off hand, but check your engine and all other ground wires, you may have a loose/defective one.
I agree with mike, check your starter, solenoid, etc, connections .. Follow the KISS rule before you panic & spend countless hours & money chasing the problem.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
i have heard the CPS can cause a bunch of different issues, including stalling, its the restarting while in motion that throws me away from it.
my CPS went bad and i couldnt restart the car, i let it sit a little while i researched on here the cause of no start, went down to try it 1 more time before calling a tow truck and she fired up. i brought her right to the dealer and had it fixed the next day. i dont remember if i drove right to the dealer and left my car there overnight or not...i think i did.

im just thinking in this case it may just be something more simple like electrical grounds or something like that(or less considering the frequency of the CPS failure) you may want to have the CPS changed out either way because it can leave you stranded and its such a cheap part. i think that they are usually only good for 100,000km or 60 miles(basing that on what i have read on here, some guys have changed theirs 2x)

·
Registered
2003 cts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help guys..i took the car in to my mechaninc today and he also agreed that it was the cps..that because i was going 90 and stressing the mottor going up hill that the exhaust/cats could of created alot of heat and affected the cps, iv never changed it so maybe it has a bit of wear..lol

Any way i had it changed out and now shes driveing perfect again. Thanks alot for all your help guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts