Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what kind of gas mileage everyone is getting. I am big numbers guy so I am constantly watching my Distance to Empty, Avg Fuel Mileage, etc. What is your average?

Here is mine

11.7 L per 100km
or
20.4 MPG

I do alot of highway driving.

:burn:

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably both. When I hit the city or when I feel the need to do some hard shifting my mileage goes down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't have any exact numbers, but...

Highway:
80MpH ==> 22MpG
55MpH ==> 26MpG

Suburbs:
16MPG to 18MPG

As this is my 2nd week with the car, I "reset" the Avg MPG when I switch driving locales to get a better idea about the average on each. My suburb driving is hard to tell as it's up and down hills, so it fluxuates quite a bit.

I knew going in this wasn't going to be economical. In fact, when gas was super-high during the hurricanes I was thinking of abondoning my CTS purchase alltogether. I figured they would never come down again and we'd be seeing $4/gallon gas soon. But the prices settled enough for me to not care so much about the mileage.

Now my only problem is, do I risk letting the feul go down to 1/8th of a tank to see if I suffer from the "running out of fuel" bug.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
We normally run around 22/24 mpg in mixed driving - '03 automatic. Nearly always leave the climate control system set at automatic...

On a 4000 mile+ trip last year we averaged around 27/28 mpg - had a couple tanks where we actually got 31/32 mpg at 75/85 mph. Wasn't using A/C most of the time - winter...

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
19 mpg "normal" driving (mostly city but some highway)
26 mpg highway (I usually cruise around 80 mph)

I think my numbers are pretty good given my driving habits. In the city I like to punch it every now and then just for fun. On the highway I hate getting passed so I'm always among the faster-moving traffic. If someone passes me at a speed faster than I'm comfortable driving alone (to avoid getting a ticket, not a fear of speed), I'll drop in behind them until they get off the highway. I've had some wonderful high-speed (anywhere from 90-120mph) cruises doing this. Hopefully someday I'll come accross someone who can outrun me so I can finally find out first hand my cars top speed while still having someone around thats going faster just in case Johny Law makes an appearance.

BTW - I have only joined these high-speed runs when traffic is sparce to non existant.

·
Registered
98 Posts
kanniballl said:
I don't have any exact numbers, but...

Highway:
80MpH ==> 22MpG
55MpH ==> 26MpG

Suburbs:
16MPG to 18MPG

Sounds about the same for me, although when the conditions are perfect, and I keep my foot out of it, I will around 28-30 on the freeway.

·
Registered
2006 CTS & 2003 Escalade
89 Posts
I have a 2006 3.6 liter and my mileage computer reads 20.1 mpg, but if I divide the mileage by the number of gallons of gas used, I am getting 19.4 mpg in my first 3,000 miles. That's almost all city driving with occassional short trips on the expressway. I haven't had an opportunity to take the car on an extended expressway trip yet. I think that is pretty good considering I have not been driving it to achieve any kind of economy and most of my time in the car is stop and go traffic. :yup:

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,034 Posts
My computer shows an average of 20.0 MPG for my 2004 3.6L. I drive about 65% city, accelerate moderately most of the time and have gotten on it at least once every few days. I've only owned the car a few weeks, so this mileage is being skewed by the previous driver(s). I just reset it today and will be checking it weekly or so out of curiosity (and to compare with different driving habits).

·
Registered
CTS
41 Posts
I'm getting closed to 20 MPG, about 60% hwy, 40% city. Most of my trips are usually short < 20 miles though. I have about 9300 miles on the car.

·
Registered
'04 CTS, '79 Coupe DeVille, '78 Sedan De Ville, '77 Firebird
1,020 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
19 mpg "normal" driving (mostly city but some highway)
26 mpg highway (I usually cruise around 80 mph)

I think my numbers are pretty good given my driving habits. In the city I like to punch it every now and then just for fun. On the highway I hate getting passed so I'm always among the faster-moving traffic. If someone passes me at a speed faster than I'm comfortable driving alone (to avoid getting a ticket, not a fear of speed), I'll drop in behind them until they get off the highway. I've had some wonderful high-speed (anywhere from 90-120mph) cruises doing this. Hopefully someday I'll come accross someone who can outrun me so I can finally find out first hand my cars top speed while still having someone around thats going faster just in case Johny Law makes an appearance.

BTW - I have only joined these high-speed runs when traffic is sparce to non existant.
fyi- around here it's safer to get caught by johnnylaw speeding alone, if you're speeding with another car they call it "racing" much higher penalty/ fines. be careful out there

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L 6spd manual
13 Posts
With my 05 3.6L 6spd I get a pretty consistant 24MPG. Lots of Hwy driving with the cruise set at 72mph. It dipped a bit when the winter gas came out, but it seems that I have countered that by installing a K&N intake kit. Maybe when summer gas comes around again I'll do even better.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2 & 2014 ATS 2.0T
94 Posts
8.7L/100km almost all Highway driving, cruising speed is 130km/h for me...
that's 27MPG & 80mph for you Yanks...

I can do better in the summer time.

I tend to watch my gas mileage more than my spedometer, Any new car I get HAS to have this feature, I'm obsessed...

Turning off TCS can supposedly help a bit, try that...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
E.P.A. Plans Closer Estimate of Gas Mileage

By MICHELINE MAYNARD, The New York Times
DETROIT (Jan. 11) - The Environmental Protection Agency on Tuesday proposed the first major overhaul in 20 years in the way it calculates fuel economy ratings for cars and trucks, a shift the agency said would reduce mileage estimates by 5 to 30 percent, depending on the type of driving and kind of vehicle.
The new testing method, according to Stephen L. Johnson, the E.P.A. administrator, would come much closer to bridging "the gap between what the window sticker says and what consumers can expect in their fuel economy."
The agency expects to introduce the changes starting with 2008 models, which will go on sale as early as a year from now.
Consumer groups have long complained that the E.P.A.'s ratings are far too optimistic, compared with fuel economy that drivers achieve under real-world conditions. Recent tests by Consumer Reports magazine, for example, found that E.P.A. window stickers could be off by up to 50 percent.

See full article here.....http://articles.news.aol.com/business/article.adp?id=20060111092009990001&_ccc=1&cid=403

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
FWIW:

Highway one-tank trip to and from PA @ 65mph: 415miles/tank
Typical rush hour commute to and from downtown Cleveland: 340miles/tank

BTW, I read that fuel economy decreases exponentially for each increment of speed: 55mph-65mph = 10% less fuel economy. 65mph-75mph = 25% less fuel economy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts