Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm being transferred to Greece this summer and, based upon the great experience I've had with a SRX, I'm thinking about buying a used 04-06 CTS 3.6/stick to bring with. Any suggestions on what to avoid/look for?

Also the cadllaceurope com website appears to be down. There's a Cadillac dealer in Athens, but no website. Anyone know if warranty is good there, etc (not that there are too many 04-06s out there with existing factory warranties).

Thanks!

·
Registered
CTS 2,8 l
230 Posts
For the record anything I wright may may not apply in Greece since there can be very big differences in the different European countries.

1. Taxes on cars very from country to country. Her inn Norway a brand new CTS 3.2 cost the equivalent of 120 000$. In Sweden you pay less then half of that price. And so on. This means you have to do the research of what you will have to pay in Greece since used prices are a function of the new price.

2. In many country's GM does not give a 5 year warranty. Here in Norway thy only give 3 years. This is annoying since it would be simple to give 5 years.

3. Look on the Internet for used cars or the local dealers. This will also give you an an idea about the local prices.

4. If you are going to be stationed for a finite time and the taxes on cars are high you could look in to taking one with you from the US. There are rules that allow foreigners to drive there car for a certain number of years. In Norway a foreigner can use his car for 1 year with the license plate from his country for one year before he has to register it as a Norwegian car. This gives big tax brake on the car.

5. Check with the Greece embassy for which rules apply.

God luck. Europe needs more American cars.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Taxes, registration, and import duty will not be an issue. Going to buy here and have it shipped.

I had a Dodge Dakota when I was posted to Kenya and the Philippines (also had a Surburban in the PI) and despite the admonishments about "not being able to get parts" both vehicles were bulletproof. And I beat the bejesus out of that poor Dakota in Kenya.

As an American living overseas I feel it's my patriotic duty to drive an American car :bouncy:

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Aren't you just a little interested in driving a car there
That you don't have the slightest chance of driving in north
America???
Personally I would have something they sell and service there.
I would see this as a oppurtunity to drive something cool by a company
I have hever heard of, but make sure it isn't the equivalant
Of our KIA or Daewoo (that is now gm....bad purchase)

·
Registered
CTS 2,8 l
230 Posts
God for you that you want to drive American. I have had many American cars.
Thy aren't usually a problem to get them serviced. The problem is that American cars are in so small numbers that spear parts are not hat easy to get on short notes. That means when you have a repair or service on the car it may take opp to a week even for simple repairs. That means if you need the car all the time you need ether a different car or a loner.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL if I was interested in another make of car I woulda posted in the forum appropriate for that make :D Having worked in a repair shop in the distant past that specialized in odd and orphaned makes, the junk I dealt with there has driven me to buy/own American (at least with an American car I'm pretty confident I don't have to have a fire extinguisher at the ready).

As I mentioned I'm no stranger to driving and owning American cars in countries where there's no dealer or parts available. Interestingly I was always on the road with these cars when colleagues with locally bought vehicles were down waiting for parts from Japan, or France, etc. Not to say it won't happen to me, but unlike here in the US I won't need to depend on the car for everyday transportation.

Soo... that issue off the table, anyone have comments on the CTS in particular?

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans
39 Posts
Not sure which market, but the CTS is/WAS built in RHD, it is in SI (GM's online service info for us that work at dealerships). I personally haven't seen one, but that would be a fun car to get your hands on.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the trigger on a 06 3.6L, six-speed manual. Got 29.3 MPG @ 75 MPH driving it up from Atlanta. I think it'll fit the bill for Greece - has a few minor battle scars so I won't be tempted to slit my throat when someone gives me a door ding.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans
39 Posts
From the GM warranty manual:
"For U.S. Military/Government personnel operating their privately owned GM vehicle either purchased through the Post Exchange Program or taken overseas from the U.S., the U.S. vehicle warranty terms apply. If a used U.S. GM vehicle is purchased overseas by U.S. Military/Government personnel from a non-U.S. Military/Government personnel, the U.S. GM warranty coverage does not apply."

That's all I could find, so hope it's helpful.

Congrats on your purchase, looks like a nice ride!

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ Thanks for that!! It would apply to me if the car was still under warranty... 73K miles though.

So far I love it... buttery smooth clutch, 6+ hour drive was easy, handles well enough, and my 2 teenagers don't gripe about sitting in the back seat. The only slight dislike is the somewhat notchy Aisin 6-speed. Still beats a slushbox though :stirpot:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts