Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I drive a 2013 Cadillac CTS Coupe AWD. I was in a accident a month ago which resulted in everything from the radiator forward being replaced including both frame rails. Shortly after getting the vehicle back from the shop, it had to be towed back due to a speed sensor going out (Cadillac recommended a tow). Insurance said there was no impact to the front wheel so they didn’t cover it. I took care of it and got my car back Friday. It has been parked ever since. However, I decided to drive it today. I came to a stop light and stopped. Upon accelerating when it turned green, there was a loud boom which sounded like something fell out from under the front of the vehicle. My car would not move and made a extremely loud sound when trying to accelerate. It had to be towed back to the dealership once again as it was no longer drivable. The tow guy mentioned that something for sure broke because the vehicle rolled when it was in park. Any ideas what this could be? Related to the accident itself or just a coincidence?

I would appreciate any advice or assistance. Thank you

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,836 Posts
Transfer case ?
Sounds like it.
I would lean on the insurance company again. Seems like hidden damage caused by the accident.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
737 Posts
I came to a stop light and stopped. Upon accelerating when it turned green, there was a loud boom which sounded like something fell out from under the front of the vehicle. My car would not move and made a extremely loud sound when trying to accelerate. It had to be towed back to the dealership once again as it was no longer drivable. The tow guy mentioned that something for sure broke because the vehicle rolled when it was in park.
Well that sounds familiar. I know it's a 2013 which should have the upgraded parts, but eerily similar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that sounds familiar. I know it's a 2013 which should have the upgraded parts, but eerily similar.

Very interesting. Seems like the same exact issue. My vehicle only has 62K miles on it. Prior to my accident about a month ago, I had no problems with it. Now it’s one thing after another. You think it’s just a coincidence or hidden damage from the accident that Cadillac missed?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,228 Posts
It took a greater impact than your insurance wants to pay for. Go after them,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It took a greater impact than your insurance wants to pay for. Go after them,
I agree. It’s at Cadillac and they are running diagnostics now to figure out the issue. The problem is that Cadillac has been blaming it on “wear and tear” of the vehicle for whatever reason. That’s why insurance denied the speed sensor (no physical damage to the wheel). The estimator at Cadillac already warned me that what just happened is probably from “wear and tear”. I am also going through the individuals insurance that hit me. Perhaps I need to go through mine.
The impact happened at 60MPH with no time to brake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
Cadillac wanted me to authorize a $7000 repair and pay it myself. They said it was a malfunction that they can’t see in the transfer case. Other things might be wrong as well. They said it most likely wasn’t from the accident so insurance won’t take the blame.

Any advice? My vehicle was in perfect condition prior to the accident.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Any advice? My vehicle was in perfect condition prior to the accident.
Push back harder.
A 60 mph impact causes all kinds of hidden damage and the insurance company doesn't want to total out your vehicle.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,228 Posts
Agree with Long. . They are in business to make money, not help you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UPDATE:
Cadillac estimator told me that the service department deemed it a internal problem with the transfer case. Due to that, he stated it wasn’t due to the accident. He also stated that neither the at-fault insurance company or my insurance company will pay out due to it being deemed internal. It just seems like Cadillac is working against me. No telling what they touched during original repairs. He also told me that my transmission fluid was dirty and hasn’t been changed so that could have been the cause.

What should I do? I am very open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
You're screwed. First, your dealership didn't help you at all. Thanks for nothing. What they may be saying is your T-case truly is bad so you have no chance of insurance coverage. Sad, but my belief is that you are screwed. I hope others can spew forth better, helpful information.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
62k is less than the OM recommended normal duty schedule for transmission fluid replacement.
Sounds like they're no help to your cause at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
62k is less than the OM recommended normal duty schedule for transmission fluid replacement.
Sounds like they're no help to your cause at all.
What is the recommended mileage for transmission fluid replacement? I can use this for my case.

The collision manager is supposed to call me tomorrow to discuss all of this. I feel like they are just working against me instead of for me when I am giving them the business.

They said that something inside the transfer case came loose. Specifically, the transfer case failed. That’s why they said it was internal. The service department also stated other stuff would be damaged besides that if it was from the accident. However, there could be significantly more damage once they disassemble the vehicle. I did ask if the outside was damaged and he stated no. He stated that it would take a lot to damage it.

Despite what I am being told, is there a high possibility that this is related to the accident? I will argue with the insurance company that they did not repair my vehicle to pre-accident condition which they are obligated by law to do. However, I know they will argue it especially with Cadillac not on my side.

Any arguing points or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Severe duty is @ the first oil change after 50k.
Normal duty is @ the first oil change after 100k.

They could argue that you should have followed the severe (city or mountainous driving/towing) duty schedule.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:
I just recalled that the fluid my vehicle was leaking right after the accident had a very red tint to it. Anytime the vehicle was on, it would form a large puddle under the front of my vehicle. Could this have been the transmission all along or most likely the radiator leak like Cadillac told me?

·
Registered
2012 CTS 3.6 AWD Premium
23 Posts
My transmission fluid has been red in most of the ones I own. It certainly sounds that way. It could have been from a seal leaking, not actual damage. The impact could have shifted something to cause the seal to fail. Big difference than actual damage, but no way to prove that, since seals do go out and leak.

·
Registered
2012 CTS 3.6 AWD Premium
23 Posts
Here are photos I took of the liquid leaking. You can see where it’s located. Is this radiator or transmission fluid?
I can't tell much from the pictures, but that is more fluid than what I would expect to see from transmission. I could be wrong. But you stated the dealer told you how dirty it was. Did it smell burnt and was almost black? That is a sign there is an issue, but not necessarily a leak. As far as antifreeze, I have seen weird colors for that, such as in my Audi. Wish I could offer more, but that's all I got. I wish you luck, as it seems as if you are in a shitty situation.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts