Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To pull codes in my 1996 STS I simply press and hold the OFF and Pass. Up buttons at the same time. We're planning on testing an '04 CTS. Do we use this same method or is there a different method? Same for answering Yes and No?

Thanks!

PS - Anyone know of typical problems with the '04?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
All that method of code pulling ended with only the earliest and most ancient '03 CTSs having this capability. If you want to be able to pull codes from all the modules it will cost you thousands for a professional machine like a Tech II. Parts outfits like AutoZone can read some codes. Most cheap code readers will only read the most basic and generic OBDII codes. The price of poker has gone way up.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So the 2004 CTS doesn't have OBDII? Wow.

Edit: maybe it has OBDII, but why wouldn't I be able to get the DTC's?

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
So the 2004 CTS doesn't have OBDII? Wow.

Edit: maybe it has OBDII, but why wouldn't I be able to get the DTC's?
OBDII data has to be read out through the OBDII port on late '03s and newer cars. The Cadillac OBDII is CAN enabled and requires the TECH II code reader if you want able to access all features. The DIC will no longer access the OBDII data like the old clunkers did.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Ha and when your spending those thousands to pull your codes I am going to be thinking of you when I diagnose my own with my obdII STS
I may have an old clunker but the good thing is I can still diagnose it myself and repair it without having to take it in. But I'm guessing since your driving an 06 STS your not to worried about spending the money to repair it or just buy a new one when the warranty is up. Sometimes it is more beneficial to drive the older cars especially when gm takes a very important tool away from the customer.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I LOVE MY CLUNKER.
It beats those new things.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
buy a $80 scanner at pepboys

Also, Autozone with read your codes for free. For around $100 you can get a CAN enabled OBDII tool that not only displays the codes, but also displays the description of the codes and can display live data from various sensors. A basic CAN OBDII can be purchased for about $60. Search eBay.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts

Also, Autozone with read your codes for free. For around $100 you can get a CAN enabled OBDII tool that not only displays the codes, but also displays the description of the codes and can display live data from various sensors. A basic CAN OBDII can be purchased for about $60. Search eBay.
Bargain scanners aren't going to read ABS, HVAC, or body codes. If you want coverage like the older cars it'll cost $2500 on up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts