Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
03 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when the movie Bad Boys 2 came out i was a in high school. If you remember the movie you will recall Will Smith tacking the brand new never before seen Cadillac CTS from then football star Dan Marino while he was on a test drive.
Growing up in a heavey Chevy population I fell in love with this car. As a kid all I wanted was a Silverado and a CTS, so in 08 i baught my brand new Silverado lowered the back end and slapped some 24 inch all black rims on it.(see picture) Well Last year Around this time i need another car but couldnt budget a brand new CTS payment along with a large truck payment. So I Got the closest thing to my dream car I could get a pearl white 03 CTS and i love it, except.......
AC went out $900, Front In Smashed in by a friend in my drive way long story my fault $1500, new ceramic pads and sport roaters $900 dollars, Heater only one side works $250they flushed it, Thermostat $700, new good year triple treads for winter and a sway bar or something like that $1000, had an oil line break and a vaulve gasket leak (oil every where least thats what they tell me I know nothing about cars) may have been the cold $300, had rear bumper painted $500 (wifes fault),
Now just got the car back and took it to wash the mechanics dirt off and the the cover for the rear back up lights fell off, and it took me three days to notice. Good news found the cover in one piece, take it to me guy says we can glue it but recomends all new piece those are like $250.
Even though Its Been crazy stupid costs I love this car just need words of encouragment to keep going. The idea was to buy the car Lower put some wheels on it tint it out and just love it. Now i have way to much monie invested for me to rap up wheels and stuff onto this car. maybe after a couple more months but $6300 in repairs taps you out, you know what i mean?

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Some of these payments look overpriced. $900 for rotors and pads? Thats too much. Thermostat $700? Rear bumper painted for $500? JUST PAINT?

I'd start looking at other mechanic spots. Welcome to the forums. Pics of CTS?

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
bumper should have been like 300 tops.. rotors and pads could have been had for $450.. thermostat requires some work, so that's where that price comes in (its 95% labor cost) the actual part is like $40

·
Registered
03 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They did have to work out the bumper because it met a concreat light poll. But cost may seem Hi but they are on I wouldnt take the time to Lie to you, I may have been riped off a couple times but everyone acts scared of this car. I did find somone good to work on it but he is so slow. the brakes and where hi cause it was an out of town got to fix this right now at a Rip me Off Pboys thats minus two letters so i dont get in trouble. But my brother in cts love i have reciepts for all of these things. I dont think of my self as dumb but I will pay whatever the price is to get something fixed. When it comes to my cars that is. That 08 silverado i baught brand new the motor blew up in under 4000 miles. maybe I have the worst luck with cars. I just love them so much its just what i do I could shop used or new cars all day long. I spend hours on Craigslist never buying a thing. Except this Cadillac From Some Dude In the hood.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Sounds like you have some driving issues, hitting light poles,front end smashed in your own driveway,etc.
Some adjustment there might save some money.
Or just shop around for better deals, or do some repairs yourself, like most of us do on here.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
bumper should have been like 300 tops.. rotors and pads could have been had for $450.. thermostat requires some work, so that's where that price comes in (its 95% labor cost) the actual part is like $40
hes including labor on these item, which makes them actually average.
the rotors for 900 is probably with tax, parts and labor. that sounds right. the price of rotors at a store usually range from 80-120 each then add 1 hour labor per side which is normal shop rate for brakes (4hrs labor) plus pads. it may be a very easy job but thats how shops charge for it usually and they take their time doing it.
thermostat, well he could have done a lot worse, my friend paid 11 or 1200 for his parts and labor. i paid a couple hundred cash to a cadi tech i know. cant remember exactly what i paid but it was cheap... i think he asked for $40 and i gave him more than he wanted because i knew it would have cost me a LOT at a shop.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
just saw you say they said not to re-glue the trunk bezel $250 for a new trunk bezel (that plastic lens that fell off) although that isnt a bad price.
do this one yourself its not hard, go get a headlight sealant (i used GOOP on mine) take your trunk liner off remove the 8 bolts that hold it on and then pull it out. disconnect the light harness.
once you have it out use needle nose plyers and a couple screwdrivers to pull out as much of the old glue as possible.
lay the glue you choose in the bezel where the lip of the lens goes, and dont forget the middle section around the license plate.
put the lens on and then use masking tape wrap it around and keep pressure on it to make sure its in tight and stays in place. let it set a few hours top dry.

yes you have paid a lot in repairs, but its not been anything major, if you have a toolbox and read this forum you will be able to save a lot on repairs.

·
Registered
03 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just saw you say they said not to re-glue the trunk bezel $250 for a new trunk bezel (that plastic lens that fell off) although that isnt a bad price.
do this one yourself its not hard, go get a headlight sealant (i used GOOP on mine) take your trunk liner off remove the 8 bolts that hold it on and then pull it out. disconnect the light harness.
once you have it out use needle nose plyers and a couple screwdrivers to pull out as much of the old glue as possible.
lay the glue you choose in the bezel where the lip of the lens goes, and dont forget the middle section around the license plate.
put the lens on and then use masking tape wrap it around and keep pressure on it to make sure its in tight and stays in place. let it set a few hours top dry.

yes you have paid a lot in repairs, but its not been anything major, if you have a toolbox and read this forum you will be able to save a lot on repairs.
I had the guy at the shop glue it on for me he did a really good job did it for $40 fair enuf for me not to have to do it myself. I just baught some new struts form the parts store for my trunk but i think there to long but all the post say to compress them but i can not get them to compress, some post say there are shorter struts so I may try to order those offline. anyone here had that issue? And thanks for all the help. by the way im not a bad driver just had issues with this car for some reason just my luck i guess. But im really excieted for the weather changing I do love to drive this car,

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
40 isnt bad considering the glue would cost you $12 plus your time.

there are 2 different trunk strut lenghts, i dont remember off hand how long they are. the 03 and early 04 use the shorter lenght and the late 04-2007 use the longer ones. its a different hinge design depending on which year you have. yours takes the shorter ones. just match them up with your current ones.
its not going to be easy to compress them by hand...i wouldnt recommend it.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Bad Boys & The Matrix only movies that I remember that had our gen CTS

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
CTS-V was on the Simpsons. Brad Pitt drove a CTS-V in Mr Mrs Smith (although in some of the scenes I think it was an STS)

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
CTS-V was on the Simpsons. Brad Pitt drove a CTS-V in Mr Mrs Smith (although in some of the scenes I think it was an STS)
i didnt notice the STS but i did notice he switched to the linclon...i havent seen the movie in a while but i think he stole it and then parked it on his sidewalk and his neighbor told him he should move it so he doesnt get a ticket...shortly after he was used as a human shield while getting a tour of the house lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts