Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
CTS Coupe '14
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't see any good threads on the capability of the newer CTSs in snow with AWD. Will get my 1st chance tonight with my '12 coupe. Michigan is getting hammered today. What have others experienced with the the AWD (and Michellins) compared to say a SUV 4wd as far as handling and takeoff traction?

·
Registered
CTS
86 Posts
My 09 CTS goes great in the snow with half wore out Michelins. Stopping on ice was another issue just because of the mass of the car so I bought a set of Cooper WSC winter tires now it does great. Not as much clearance as my SUV but the car handles better on snow and ice in my opinion and they both have winter tires.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
236 Posts
I'm driving a loaner 2013 coupe AWD, and I'm in a blizzard here in cleveland Ohio, so far the car has been pretty good in the snow. I think a lot of people forget that AWD still means nothing when it comes to stopping on snow covered streets btw.

·
Registered
2013 CTS4 Coupe
63 Posts
I have `13 Coupe AWD and had an `08 sedan AWD. Both do great. The problem you have is very deep snow with the low ground clearance. I've actually "plowed" snow with the sedan. The deepest the coupe has been in was on Christams day and it was only 4" but I did not have any problems at all. I ran thru rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow all in one day.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe '14
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Drove in 5" last night - basically minimal plowed/rutty highway...observation on 1st CTS AWD drive in snow:

The car handles great overall. Actually fun with the AWD. Cornering no real oversteer or understeer, just a flat out "slide" upon acceleration and the traction control/active handling keeps you from getting too playful.

Michellins are not real great. Ok, but not that great. Never had a 100% confidence of stability on the hwy at speed as with our SUV. Somewhat squirrley compared to a better winter tire or better M&S tire. Winter tires on this beast would be just perfect.

The throttle definately needs to be finesed a bit in snowy weather since with the avg Michellins will spin often.

The low front spoiler definately grabs the deep ruts & plows which makes you have to pay very close attention on the highway to keep the vehicle straight at higher speed. This in combo with the avg traction Michellins is probably the worst part about driving in deeper snow with the CTS.

Build up snow can cause heavy pulsation/vibration. This morning drive felt like had a major trans problem with heavy vibration which was strange never had this in a vehicle before (just the right front tire packed). Had to exit the hwy to see what the hell was going on. Wheel well behind tire packed up to tire (why this would not wear off after 12 miles is strange).

Then to top it all.....go to shovel this morning and find the parked Coupe slid down driveway overnight halfway into street...very strange never had any car in my drive do this. Luckly no one hit it.:helpless:

·
Registered
CTS4 Wagon
83 Posts
BLUE CTS>>>Try your AWD with Traction Control and Stabiltrac disengaged...

Remember what ajazolino, post #3, stated about stopping! I suggesting using the transmission to decelerate as much as you can before braking.....By sliding down the driveway your new car might be telling you either 1.) Different tires are in order OR 2.) Tie your car to the driveway hitching rail when parking overnight ...I have driven 4WD vehicles since the mid 60's and I am very impressed with my CTS4 Wagon>>> 4 good snow tires makes you pretty hard to hurt....

----------

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
Went home yesterday during a Blizzard, 7" of snow on the ground and the car handled great - just had new Cooper RS3-A tires put on a couple of weeks ago so I was excited to see how they would grab in snow. Much better grip than the original Michelins ever had. Had no problems at some icy uphill intersections where some other folks were fighting to get enough traction to make the corner.

·
Registered
CTS
86 Posts
I have tried it with the "technology" disengaged and it really shows how much I appreciate the systems built into my CTS4. I am past the days of sliding wildly in parking lots or roads!

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 Coupe 3.6 AWD Diamond White
122 Posts
I got my 2009 in November and immediately bought a set of Michelin X-Ice XI-3s. We have had an early and bad winter here so far, but the combination of AWD, traction control, and those tires - Wow! Amazing! I can accelerate on packed ice almost like it was a dry road.

The risk is that I become over-confident, and get into trouble. That, and forgetting that almost everyone else on the road is still sliding around on their crappy all-seasons, and could easily hit me.

·
Registered
CTS4
600 Posts
North jersey. Cts4 just got the continental dws last month. Driving in the snow / sleet has been no problem.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
I'm driving a loaner 2013 coupe AWD, and I'm in a blizzard here in cleveland Ohio, so far the car has been pretty good in the snow. I think a lot of people forget that AWD still means nothing when it comes to stopping on snow covered streets btw.
This is the key statement in this thread. AWD only gives an advantage when starting. The tires are what matter in stopping and maneuvering. Winter tires are far better than all-seasons for stopping and maneuvering. I've daily driven two RWD CTS-Vs in snowy conditions in Cleveland (my 09 for four winters and now my new 13 Vagon) and with winter tires and Stabilitrack, I have more confidence on the road than in my wife's SUV. At this point, she has me beat only on clearance.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
The biggest mistake people make is to think that awd will save them in the snow and slippery conditions. I said it many times - noting bits snow/winter tires and drivers skills.

Many years ago when I lived in snow country I always took my car to an empty parking lot to learn my winter driving skills.

If I lived in snow country I would definitely purchased winter tires.

Just my 2 c

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Very nice videos. They prove two things:
- Driving on snow you need the right tires
- There is no substitute for drivers skills ;)

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,381 Posts
Spinning around just about dead center of the car...that looks like fun!

·
Registered
Sold my 2009 CTS4 and my 2004 CTS
121 Posts
I have a 2004 RWD 3.6L and a 2009 AWD 3.6L. I live in Southern MI, and we get a fair amount of snow and ice.
I grew up with RWD cars, and the CTS RWD is the worse RWD car in the snow I have ever experienced.

The RWD gets parked for the winter. Sometimes I have to move it. I've been stuck twice on level pavement with ice and less than an inch of snow. I couldn't believe it! Sure, different tires would help, but my basic all-weather tire should have been OK... stuck twice... I still can't can't believe it.

The AWD is awesome.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have a 2004 RWD 3.6L and a 2009 AWD 3.6L. I live in Southern MI, and we get a fair amount of snow and ice.
I grew up with RWD cars, and the CTS RWD is the worse RWD car in the snow I have ever experienced.

The RWD gets parked for the winter. Sometimes I have to move it. I've been stuck twice on level pavement with ice and less than an inch of snow. I couldn't believe it! Sure, different tires would help, but my basic all-weather tire should have been OK... stuck twice... I still can't can't believe it.

The AWD is awesome.
The Michelin OEM tires are horrible in snow, so winter/snow tires is a must up North. My first car was RWD as most of my cars, and I did grow up North so I know what winter means. Still good tires and drivers skills are more important than AWD. Just my 2c.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts