Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (91k miles)
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine lives in the desert in the middle of nowhere and we are invited to his place. However, his house is about 6 miles off the main road. We need to drive through unpaved dirt and gravel roads for about 7 miles to get to his place, most of it is pretty flat but there are a lot of bumpy areas, especially after the rain. Do you think the CTS suspension and tires can handle it if we go slow and carefully?

Registered
08 CTS DI
It's difficult to say without any knowledge of what the surface is like. I don't have any problems with roads in a remote part of GA on clay and sand roads the one trip a year I make that encounters them but if it rains, you have to be careful not to slide off. If all of their vehicles are trucks, it might be a job for a rental. The CTS is no different then any other reasonably treated passenger car under the same circumstances. It will probably boil down to what speed up to the limit you feel comfortable with driving on them. If they have ripples in them like some of the sand roads I've encountered, you'll be driving slow to keep the panels on the car.

And what Long said, I thought the screen name was familiar and distant.

Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (91k miles)
Discussion Starter #4
LOL I been around, but the miscellaneous thread posts lately have been about stuff I can not contribute any useful banter to. As usual, as I am not a DIY person (other than air filters) I have nothing useful to contribute to the mechanical threads.

I would say from memory of the last time I was there, half of it us pretty flat and solid dirt with some loose gravel.

The problem is the other half which is a path that winds through brush and cactus (literally wide enough for a F150) so I don't think it will scratch my car, but there were some areas where the dips were a couple inches deep so I remember the car rocking side to side a lot. Last time we were in my other friend's Camry, and it made it up and back without losing any parts but there was a whole lot of creaking and we went probably 10 MPH in the bumpy areas.

As long as the wheels can clear the holes without the ground hitting the bumper, we should be okay? Don't really want to shell out like $150 to rent a pickup to drive it like 200 miles with crappy gas mileage just for 7 miles of dirt. It's normally like 5 miles but because of the recent rains a big portion in the middle became a giant mud lake so we need to drive around it or we will get stuck.

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
Since he is a "buddy" just ask him, "where can I park my car where it will be safe and you can come get me, because my car does not have enough ground clearance to go OFF ROAD?

Registered
08 CTS DI
I'm with TheFlash on this one. The front bumper is pretty low. I don't drive all the way up on parking stops because the rubber bumper deflector usually doesn't clear them and there's a small notch dead center from a previous snag. If the dips are deep enough you just might have a bumper scrape.

Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
Do as you like but there is NFW I would take my CTS sedan off road on anything more than a well-groomed gravel driveway. The approach angle and ground clearance are both terrible for off-road use. YMMV

Registered
I don't now if you took your cts down to your secret drug orgy but don't forget you have on star,at least will find your cts jk.
Just do it i live in northern Minnesota where most back roads are gravel and low maintenance. Most people park at the end of there driveway in spring. Because they got stuck and ripped up there driveway spinning the tires.
I would drive until i think i would get stuck or if it bottms out. I have plenty experience getting stuck. I moved up here from Florida and learned quickly 4x4/awd and snow tires make life easier.
I personally have not broke anything when I've getting stuck or hung up. I have seen people hook a tow strap on the wrong place and broke stuff,slid into stuff get a dent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts