Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good alarm to install on my 06 CTS? I prefer a paging alarm. Will that cause any problems? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Get the clifford matrix 3.5 alarm/remote start. It is the best that I have ever worked with. I even have a used one that I would be willing to part with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
I think he's referring to a content theft alarm. Base model CTS' do not have a theft alarm (i.e if a window breaks, or someone enters the car while it is locked the horn with sound and lights will flash) only sport and luxury packages have it. For some bizzare reason that is beyond my comprehension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think my factory alarm is enough and plan on getting rims soon. I would like something a bit more sensative. Thank for the tips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
get the viper 791xv. best alarm on the market, almost identical to the clifford matrix. installed mine myself (mecp cert) so i highly reccomend u have a professional shop do it as it is not easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Another options is hiring a 300lb guy to sit in your car with a baseball bat. lol

BTW, Ive heard from many people that remote/auto start alarm systems really mess up your starter and many cars with it breakdown easier. T or F?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,939 Posts
A large percentage of the cars you see around here(Fairbanks Alaska) have remote start. They work fine. Anybody that says they don't is totally ignorant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I have a Code Alarm with remote start that has worked great for 2 years on my truck. Not cheap though. It has all kinds of built in safy features including monitoring temp and oil pressure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,187 Posts
newton said:
get the viper 791xv. best alarm on the market, almost identical to the clifford matrix. installed mine myself (mecp cert) so i highly reccomend u have a professional shop do it as it is not easy.
I agree 100% I have the same one. The remote start is soo convinient it has a LONG range. I have ran out my house in my boxers a couple times because my remote started going off. turned out to be I left my radar detector on that triggered the alarm. 1 time I was soo drunk I started running out side naked. :alchi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I has a window mount antena that gives it the great range. I would not suggest you install this system yourself. The wiring harness is about 3 inches thick. This is a comprehensive system that integrates into all the sensors on your car. It cost me $600 for the alarm and $600 for the installation. Worth every penny in S Florida 98 degree summer heat to walk out to a nice cool ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,023 Posts
How about that Trunk Monkey? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also live in S Florida the heat is bad. That is why I would like the remote start. Have a nice cool car to get into and not stick to the leather for the first 10 minutes. Im looking at the Viper or the clifford. Thanks for the info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
a few places sell the viper system but i wasn't sure if the price was competitive or not...what has everyone payed for theirs? is there a website that you can order the complete kit from for a lower cost that a retailer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
I'm not sure about the web-site part, but paying 600 for the system and then 600 for install is waaaaaaaay to much. the system should cost maybe 600 once you've payed for the extra part including the install. I am currently selling my matrix(exact same as the 791 other than it comes with a carbon fiber keyfob insted of just blue). I am not trying too hard however because i am still debating on using it myself. the only problem is i have the manual trans. I had it on my manual celica, but this is a much nicer car so i don't know if i want to risk it. If anybody wants my matrix make me a good offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
newton said:
installed mine myself (mecp cert) so i highly reccomend u have a professional shop do it as it is not easy.
nice to see we have another mecp guy on here. ay these systems are pretty difficult systems if you haven't done a r/s install before. even harder when your doing it in your own non-heated garage in the middle of winter with about half as many tools as you need. anyways, they are great systems.

as far as the r/s burning out the starter, that is only if you set the setting wrong and let the starter crank for a couple of seconds every time. these new systems are pretty smart when it comes to this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
d-dash said:
I'm not sure about the web-site part, but paying 600 for the system and then 600 for install is waaaaaaaay to much. the system should cost maybe 600 once you've payed for the extra part including the install. I am currently selling my matrix(exact same as the 791 other than it comes with a carbon fiber keyfob insted of just blue). I am not trying too hard however because i am still debating on using it myself. the only problem is i have the manual trans. I had it on my manual celica, but this is a much nicer car so i don't know if i want to risk it. If anybody wants my matrix make me a good offer.
there were many cheaper systems out there but they did not offer the engine protection that the code alarm did. that price also included a moduel to bypass the in key security chip that my truck has. it had to be installed in the stering colum so all that had to come out as well. it took my installer 6 hours to do the install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
rm2077 said:
there were many cheaper systems out there but they did not offer the engine protection that the code alarm did. that price also included a moduel to bypass the in key security chip that my truck has. it had to be installed in the stering colum so all that had to come out as well. it took my installer 6 hours to do the install.
did you have to give them a spare key programed for your car as well. those modules usually run 50 retail and an extra 25 for install.

ya, the installs generally run that long if you actually hook up and use all of the optional stuff in the system. there are a lot of places that will just hook up the remote start, keyless entry and the door sensors and say they hooked everything up. but these systems do so much more than that. I think that there are like four seperate auxillary outputs to controll god knows what, more inputs for other stuff. these things are way cool. If anyone gets one of these systems installed make sure they hook everything up how you want it and if not, make sure you get all of the extra parts back because you can always add things in later.

one of the funnest installs i did was on a caddy deville. I hooked up the fuel door to open from a button on the remote, and this car also had its auto headlights go out so i hooked up a button to turn his head lights off for him so he wouldn't have to go get back in the car when he forgot to turn them off. Im sure that we could find all sorts of cool stuff on the cts to play with. let me know how it all goes when you decide on what to get
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
TripleOught
Top