Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Please allow myself to introduce...myself.

Anyway, with the current GM incentives of 0% for 60 months, the affordability of a Cadillac CTS is within my grasp. I found a dealer that has a black CTS with a 5-speed manual with NO options. About the only thing I can afford.

Currently I drive a 2000 Mustang GT which I've thoroughly enjoyed. However, the itch for something new is hitting me. Unfortuanetly there are practically no affordable (affordable I mean mid $25k) performace vehicles around nowadays. You have the Mustang, Subaru WRX and that's pretty much it before hitting the upper 20s/30s price tags.

My question is, how well do you think a 5-speed manual CTS would fit my preferences? It sure looks sporty, and the 0-60 times of "under 7 seconds" is certaintly respecticable. I've sat in a CTS and love the interior. But from the point of view of a muscle-car fan, will this car satisfy me?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There was an OLD a barber in the Navy we used to call "Shaky Jake" ;)
Welcome aboard!
Going from a Mustang GT to a CTS will be culture shock let alone slower. You're SO CLOSE to one of my dream cars (Cobra Convertible), it's killing me that you want to get rid of it. Or is it just a lease so it's almost up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes and quick replies!

it's killing me that you want to get rid of it. Or is it just a lease so it's almost up?
Nah, it's just that after 2-3 years I have this insatiable desire to get something else...something new! Unfortuantely there's nothing to get that would satisfy my need for speed without emptying my wallet. Sure wish I could afford a Corvette... :(

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
There sure are a lot of 5-speed CTS's out there with under 2000 miles on them.

People just seem to be buying them, hating them, and trading them for automatics.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
Now why do you suppose they'd be doing that? ;)

Don't start THAT again!:D

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Oh yeah! Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
To mis-quote Henry Ford: "You can have any color you want, so long as it's NOT black".

My boss has a black CTS. Frankly, I think it's the ugliest possible color on that car. When I first saw it, I thought the CTS was butt ugly. Then I saw other colors & thought it was sharp. But a black CTS just doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Personal taste i guess! I like it in black more than any other color....And I don't even like the car for the most part!

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you like it, get one.......then trade it in like everyone else when you realize how stupid you were for getting it in the first place

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
OUCH!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Welcome! If you know Fords (sorry KC, thats F****) check into the new Cobra mustang. The Z06 is rated at 405 HP, the new Cobra at 390. I think it was Motor Trend Mag. TV that said the Cobra might beat the Z06 because it is underrated and actually more like 420!! I like Vettes also, but if a new Cobra is cheaper, think of the parts you can put in it with the savings? You could put many perf. parts into your GT, unless you are sick of your car? Has anyone heard if the Cobra has beat a Z06 yet?

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
CTS would certainly be different. And, no offense, a step up the class scale, even with no options.

But if you're itching for some excitement, I'm not sure CTS could satisfy beyond the first payment.

Coming from a Mustang GT, might I suggest something light on its feet? The Subie is awfully hard to beat, but seats aside it's a cheap interior. The Acura RSX is also a nice ride. Both are a definite contrast from the live-axle pony car.

Of course, twenty-five large buys you a lot of used car. A *big* Caddy, for example.

.Jinx
Ralph, Cobra beats Z06 in your dreams. Great value, but no Corvette substitute.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Ralph said:
I don't think it would take too much to beat the vette with some tweaking on the Cobra. The cars are close to begin with.
eventhough they are pretty close in paper but their weight difference is too great. z06 weighs in somewhere 3100lb whereas cobra weighs 3600lb+.
Cobra will definitely be cheaper and easier to tweak to get more power out of because it has a blower. Forced induction systems respond better to mods. (example: On a grand prix gtp which are rated at 240hp stock, you can get a smaller pulley for less than 200 and that will give you 40hp or more)

Also z06 isn't just about straight line performance. Z06 shines in every category of performance (straight line, braking, slalom, handling, skidpad, top speed)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts