Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any aftermarket plug-in devices that will provide significant increase in horsepower for a 3.6L 1st gen CTS?

Of course you can't expect TOO much out of such a device, but I figure that if I could get an extra 20 HP, it'd be worth some reasonable amount of money for one.

I'd like to get input from people who have actually tried it and gotten results, and not trust advertising.

I'd also like to know if there were any updates to the 3.6 in later model years that increased net horsepower. I believe the rating is 255 for 2004, did it ever go any higher, and if so, how was the upgrade achieved?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
it looks like these cars wont gain any horsepower from tuning, or chips.
You could look into several small upgrades such as.
Volant air intake.
Port/Polished Throttle body
Custom Air Intake Manifold
Air intake Manifold Spacer

These all being just Air induction upgrades, I have not been able to see any headers being replaced.

Theres also talk about changing the exhaust cams from a outlook truck for a bit more horsepower but I'm unsure if it was possible.

These are the methods I can currently think off.

·
Registered
629 Posts
How do you figure there are no gains to be had from tuning the ecu? No there are no plug ins for this car because of lack of interest in people building the ly7. Now if you talk to the aussies it's a different story. As for tuning most stand alone ecu system can work for the cts just depends on your knowledge and if you have deep pockets.

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I confess, I'm interested in a turbo kit for the 3.6. Depending on total cost. Not necessarily looking for block-twisting horsepower levels, just a good solid boost of 50 to 100 HP.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
I confess, I'm interested in a turbo kit for the 3.6. Depending on total cost. Not necessarily looking for block-twisting horsepower levels, just a good solid boost of 50 to 100 HP.
Start here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine#LP9

I've been dying to see someone try this. This is the same LY7 motor with a strengthened head. All the parts are OEM and should be a bolt on.

LP9 Head - Donor 2006-2008 Saab 93
Twin Turbos - Donor 2006-2008 Saab 93

Should be a nice set up and I think the easiest route to turbo charging a CTS.

lp9.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts