Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've had this 05 CTS 3.6 auto for 5 years now and it's been great with minimal issues. Now I want some more performance. Only mods is the V grill and replaced the center tail light. I'd like to swap my car for a V, however 3 accidents of rear quarter panel damage diminished the resale value. Replacing the engine, harness, transmission, adding a clutch from a V is way too much work. So I've come up with this list of upgrades I intend to do on the Cadi.
1.) Replace brake booster and master cylinder with new AC Delco units. Brake fluid has always weeped out from in between the master cylinder and brake booster. And the master cylinder reservoir cap always weeps no matter how many times I replace the cap. I already have drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic brake pads.
2.) Right now I have 17" Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50R17W. Any suggestions for the best summer tires? I have another set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on a different set of 16" rims for the winter.
3.) Timing chain and performance camshafts. It's time to do the chain, adjusters and the rest of the kit that MACE engineering provides. I don't hear or feel any timing chain issues, I just want to do it because not doing it destroys alot of these cars and it gives me the opportunity to do the cams. I also want to replace my upper intake manifold and add a spacer with the units that MACE engineering supplies because it'll allow in more air and maybe stop the occasional whine I get when I run the engine too hot.
4.) Oil Catch Can. I have to add half a quart once a month. Hopefully it'll help.
5.) I don't want it to sound like a loud fart can so I'm keeping the resonator. I want lighterweight performance mufflers that can pass inspection. I'm throwing on the Volant Cai.
6.) I've replaced the rear diff bushing with a matching oem because I want that smooth ride balance. I'm adding the rear diff block that creative steel offers. The front suspension is holding up well so I'm holding off for now.
7.) Spark plugs and using premium gas.
8.) Engine and transmission tune.
There is a raptor supercharger available, however I'm trying to only add about 50 whp so I don't blow my transmission, rear diff or surpass my braking capabilities.
Please any thoughts or ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,187 Posts
#2 - What's your definition of "best summer tires"? Best dry traction? Best hydroplaning resistance? Best ride quality? Lowest price? Best tread life? Best steering response? Best ride quality? etc etc etc... I'd figure out what size you want (sticking with 225/50s, or maybe going to 245/45s?) and then look at the tire comparisons and testing results on TireRack.com. You have to figure out what your priorities are and go from there.

#3 - Seems like there's very little information here State-side about the Mace cams, so it'll be interesting to see what sort of gains you're actually able to get out of them. If you can, get some baseline dyno pulls done (or some repeatable 1/4-mile runs) before you start tearing into the engine, so you can share some good data once all the work is done.

#7 & 8 - As far as I can tell, not many people have tuned the LY7s. I know HPTuners supports the LY7 in the 1st gen CTSs, but I've only seen one or two mentions here of anyone using it, so you may have a hard time finding a tuner that has any familiarity with it. It would certainly be the best way to get the most out of the mods you want to do (and take advantage of the higher octane gas), but you might want to start asking around at whatever local tuners you may have to be sure someone will be able to do what you want before you go spending money on all the parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#2 I like to swing out the rear end on almost every turn. So would dry traction be best? Or best tread life?
#3 I'll get dyno pulls before I do any mods, and after all mods are done.
#8 I'll start calling around for a good tuner shop.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
695 Posts
^this
No reason to get good tires if you will wear the rears out in a year. Just get whatever cheap imported tires you can find and burn them off!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it be crazy to put nice grippy tires in the front and cheap ones in the back? So that I can better control my sliding...

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
695 Posts
I generally like to have the same rubber all around and rotate them every 7k miles. In your case I wouldn't worry about any traction issues in the front unless you are driving in winter conditions. By keeping them the same you could rotate them every few months so they all burn down at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts