Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys today I woke up and tried entering my vehicle with the fob unlock however nothing happened. I manually opened the car door with the steel key and as soon as I tried turning the knob to start engine it showed on the screen that the battery volts are too low. I proceed to get out the vehicle and when I come back the doors won’t open again; I try using the manual key however the doors do not open with that either. No functionality even if I move the steel key left or right.

Basically I think my battery is so low that I can’t open the doors with the unlock button, or the steel key within the fob.
How can I enter the vehicle? Is there any way to charge the battery just enough so I can get inside and open the hood?

I want to boost or jump start my car however I can not go inside the vehicle to open the front hood.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,845 Posts
Welcome, apolloplays-
Sorry to learn of your unfortunate situation.

The steel key should work as it did on your first attempt to enter the vehicle.
I see you hail from the frozen north. Is it possible that the lock cylinder has been compromised by ice?
Without getting in the vehicle's cabin, there is no way to access the trunk or release the hood latch to facilitate a jumpstart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, apolloplays-
Sorry to learn of your unfortunate situation.

The steel key should work as it did on your first attempt to enter the vehicle.
I see you hail from the frozen north. Is it possible that the lock cylinder has been compromised by ice?
Without getting in the vehicle's cabin, there is no way to access the trunk or release the hood latch to facilitate a jumpstart.
The vehicle is in my garage , perhaps there may have been ice. However I don’t understand how it could work the first time and not the second. If I move the key right to lock it nothing happens and if I move it to the left nothing happens as well. I am able to open the trunk with my FOB key. There is a battery in the back of the trunk. I put jumper cables on it and had a car running on the other end for 15 minutes hoping that it would give my battery enough charge to open the doors. This didn’t work. I assume this battery is probably for something else.
Keep in mind when I click unlock with my fob key the lights turn on and I hear a click however the doors do not unlock.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
I feel some details are missing here or I am experiencing difficulty understanding the information you've presented.

To be clear: The battery located in the trunk is the only battery in your car.
I'm not certain as to why you are unable to access the cabin area of the vehicle using the steel key as you did on the first attempt or why the trunk will open with the fob, but the door(s) will not.
Have you tried to open all four doors?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick response. I have one battery at the front too. The steel key does not open the door anymore. It is very odd; I have tried to open all 4 doors and it won’t work. The trunk opens but nothing else.

If I could enter the car and open the hood I could try jumpstarting it with a portable booster. However I am not able to enter the cabin to open the hood.

I can only access the trunk. Fob key opens the trunk and the lights turn on. Let me know if you need more information thanks.
I feel some details are missing here or I am experiencing difficulty understanding the information you've presented.

To be clear: The battery located in the trunk is the only battery in your car.
I'm not certain as to why you are unable to access the cabin area of the vehicle using the steel key as you did on the first attempt or why the trunk will open with the fob, but the door(s) will not.
Have you tried to open all four doors?

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Jumper cables on a bad battery are no guarantee of a start and if you're not careful you may damage the alternator on the jumper car. I would never start my car up while attempting to jump start another. If battery power alone is not enough, I can't help you.

If you have two batteries, that's new, special and complicated. Which one does what?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jumper cables on a bad battery are no guarantee of a start and if you're not careful you may damage the alternator on the jumper car. I would never start my car up while attempting to jump start another. If battery power alone is not enough, I can't help you.

If you have two batteries, that's new, special and complicated. Which one does what?
Yeah I’m not sure which one does what. The back one might be for a subwoofer which was installed before I bought the vehicle.
I can’t even attempt to jumpstart the vehicle because I can not open the hood.
I need to find out how to charge up my battery without access to the inside of the vehicle.
This way I can charge the battery just enough to open the locks with the fob key (assuming they’re don’t open because of the low battery).

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
The battery in the trunk in the passenger rear corner with the big fancy cables on it should be for the car. Disconnect the negative cable for a while and reconnect it. If a computer is involved with shutting you out it may reset and allow access. There should also be an opening in the middle of the rear seat back, small enough for a kid to get through maybe, it's been a long while since I've had to use that access.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery in the trunk in the passenger rear corner with the big fancy cables on it should be for the car. Disconnect the negative cable for a while and reconnect it. If a computer is involved with shutting you out it may reset and allow access. There should also be an opening in the middle of the rear seat back, small enough for a kid to get through maybe, it's been a long while since I've had to use that access.
Is it possible to fold down the seat from the back of the trunk? I’ll try doing the first step and let you know if it works.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Battery in the front? What?
My CTS has a split folding rear seat which will not open from inside the trunk.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Maybe I’m wrong I remember when I opened my hood a little while ag and removed a fender I saw a Positive terminal. Maybe there is only one battery at the back.
Ah. That is a remote post for jumpstarting, not an auxiliary battery.

·
Registered
08 CTS none DI 3.6
299 Posts
I think you might be seeing the top of the fuse box under the hood. It looks like a small battery terminal but it isn't

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
2,966 Posts
In the trunk there is a tab on each side at the top back with a long stud and nut on either side. I suspect if you remove the two nuts you can just push the rear seat half forward.

Without knowing what the voltage of the trunk battery is we are just misting the wind. I'd just connect a 12v battery charger at about 10A for a few hours.

No DVM or charger ? Call AAA.

Need someone trapped in an XLR to make the news again. Looking for a deal on one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts