Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I just changed a rear brake light bulb, done this several times before. However this is the first time I droped a small wrench/spanner down the small gap on the inside of the rear panel. Can't reach or see down there at all, as it is just a very small gap.
Can anyone advise me what can happen and potential damage etc. that could happen.
I was thinking of just leaving it there and not worrying about it, butI have nagging thoughts it could cause issues. I don't know how I could access in there or easily to find it?
Would removing the rear wheel liner, give access to that area?
Know it's a long shot but maybe sombody here knows.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
732 Posts
You could get a magnet and fish around in there. If it went behind the metal panel, removing the trunk liner probably won't help much.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless A) it was an expensive wrench, or 2) it is wedged against the outer body panel. In that case there is a small possibility that it could dent the panel.

Lots of cars on the road with lost tools somewhere in inaccessible crevices. My van currently has a socket somewhere in the engine comoartment. Also, in a previous life I had a windhield replaced in a Buick. When I later dismantled the dash to replace the radio, I discovered a 1/4 Snap-On flex ratchet wedged between the wiring harnesses. That was a good day! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ryan, for taking the time to reply. I think I will leave it for now, perhaps when I next have the rear wheel off I will have the lining under there in the wheel well removed and see it it fell in there.
Only worry I have is if it could end up somewhere and cause damage, would be my luck. Nice find on the ratchet :)

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
437 Posts
You absolutely will not be able to get it by removing the wheel liner, -Ever . Go to an auto parts store and look at magnets on a flexable stalk. Cheap. I Have done the same thing so I know you can get it with the magnet. Sometimes it may take 5 min. of fishing but you will catch your tool. Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks CWB. You have saved me the trouble of removing the wheel liner. Will go get a magnet tool soon and go fishing for it. Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts