Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this is my first post! I've been on this forum before, but never had to join and post til now. I have searched and searched Google and this forum for a diy guide on replacing headgaskets. I found a cts that's in perfect condition inside and out. White Pearl paint is mint. But of course she drove with a crack in expansion tank and overheated it causing a blown head gasket.

I am very mechanically inclined, but have not messed with much Cadillac stuff. I've done headgaskets and timing belts and motor replacements and so on, but just want to buy this as a comfortable daily. I do not want to remove motor to do headgaskets as I'm hearing many do. If I'm pulling motor out, at that point I'd just replace it. She only wants $800 for it since she already has a new cadillac. Anyone have a diy guide on headgaskets? Would be much appreciated to see the job before I purchase. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you've done anything with DOHC, almost everything is the same. First thing to do is disconnect the battery, else you run in the risk of messing up the electrical components. Reconnect the negative side first when done. You'll set of the security system if you don't. Make sure you have the cams locked up with a camshaft tool and don't rotate them. Retiming these engines is a bitch if you do, as there is a primary and two secondary chains/ belts. Having done a water pump on the 3.2, you HAVE to remove everything on the front of the engine. Doing one side at a time is easier, or else you're going to frustrate yourself. Pretty standard stuff

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
335 Posts
Instead of connecting Neg post first, which normally is not recommended, I think you will avoid the security system if you leave the drivers door open as you connect the pos first and the neg last. Otherwise good advice. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I usually disconnect the battery when I'm working on mine. If I connect the positive first it usually sets off my alarm. A minor "glitch" maybe ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts