Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 CTS4 sedan has been having the same code P0017 come up which is for crankshaft and camshaft positioning sensors not correlating. I've only bought the car 4 months ago. When I bought the car it had the code but the dealership fixed it. They changed the sensors for both crankshaft and camshaft but didn't fix it so they changed the timing chain which they thought was stretched. The code went away for a couple months but now its back. The same dealership changed the time chain again but the codes didn't really go away. It was off when I left the house but when I was running errand it came back on so I ran the codes and it's still P0017. But on the way home it was off again. Any help is appreciated cause I'm losing hope with this damn thing.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
If the timing chains have been replaced, I would have them remove all of the camshaft solenoids, clean them and swap them back onto the motor on the opposite bank from which they were removed, in case the problem persists afterward, but changes to the opposite bank along with the solenoids. It sounds like you may have a sticking solenoid since the problem persists following the timing chain replacement. There is a history of the crankshaft reluctor wheel moving from position on the 3.6L, but that's a long shot.

I would also question the authenticity of the timing chains having been replaced (especially twice over 4 months), only because if they were going to do so, that's something that should have been done before it went up for sale, so the customer could drive away with no known major problem. Leaving the lot with that code is major problem, considering the cost of a timing chain replacement and the possibility it was traded in for that very reason.

What's your mileage, what's the second of the two codes and have they replaced the crank sensor?
Was it purchased from a general used car dealer, or a Cadillac dealership?

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mileage is right at 100,000. The second code pulled up was the same thing P0017 but I'll put the picture up. They did replace the crank sensor. It was a general used car dealer but they contracted the work out to a known good mechanic in the area with GM certifications. Honestly the whole process has been shady because the dealership bought the car from an auction. The auction had the car inspected and certified it was state inspection ready. So the dealership bought it and sold it as state inspection ready as well. When I bought it i took it to get inspected and they pulled up the same P0017 codes. But the check engine light wasn't on. Took it back to the dealer and they found a piece of black electrical tape over the check engine light. That's when they got the sensors replaced first and when that didn't fix it got the chain replaced. They've used the same mechanic both times they've had the chain replaced.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Mileage is right at 100,000. The second code pulled up was the same thing P0017 but I'll put the picture up. They did replace the crank sensor. It was a general used car dealer but they contracted the work out to a known good mechanic in the area with GM certifications. Honestly the whole process has been shady because the dealership bought the car from an auction. The auction had the car inspected and certified it was state inspection ready. So the dealership bought it and sold it as state inspection ready as well. When I bought it i took it to get inspected and they pulled up the same P0017 codes. But the check engine light wasn't on. Took it back to the dealer and they found a piece of black electrical tape over the check engine light. That's when they got the sensors replaced first and when that didn't fix it got the chain replaced. They've used the same mechanic both times they've had the chain replaced.
And the plot thickens. Hopefully my asking that question regarding who the vehicle was purchased from, illuminates the suspicion I have expressed. A timing chain replacement runs in the area of $2500-$3000. Without any indisputable proof that any of the repairs were made; receipts, old parts, etc; I would remain fully suspect. Timing chain replacement is about a ~12 hr job, 15 hrs the first time around.

What exactly does "state inspection ready" mean? It can be driven to an inspection station? Purchased from an auction you say, here's what I think may have happened; It was at the auction because the engine light was on and the owner did not want to fix it. The dealer purchased it in that condition and sent it to a third party for "repair", possibly to fix it as well as to be protected from liability since they didn't repair it. For all you know, the only thing they did is reset the engine light after discovering the repair would cut too deep into their profit, if not wipe it out.

I believe the car is still in the same condition it was in for the most part when you purchased it and they're just waiting you out. The codes usually register as pending, before turning on the engine light and that's why they were caught during inspection before you actually saw an engine light.

I could be and hope that I'm wrong, but that piece of tape covering the engine light suggests not likely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the chain was replaced I saw the old parts before the dealer sent them back to GM for a parts warranty inspection. What they mean by inspection ready is when I buy the car it is garenteed to pass inspection or they will fix it at no cost to me. To this day I haven't paid anything for the actual fixing of the car so I honestly don't think the dealer is the one messing with me as they keep forking out the money for new parts and paying the mechanic to fix it. If anything I'm suspicious of the mechanic if he's actually fixing it correctly. But if he is I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem. The dealer has already said if they can't get it fixed they will be replacing the entire engine. I'm just sick of the car being in the shop and reducing my fiancee and me to one car.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
I know the chain was replaced I saw the old parts before the dealer sent them back to GM for a parts warranty inspection. What they mean by inspection ready is when I buy the car it is garenteed to pass inspection or they will fix it at no cost to me. To this day I haven't paid anything for the actual fixing of the car so I honestly don't think the dealer is the one messing with me as they keep forking out the money for new parts and paying the mechanic to fix it. If anything I'm suspicious of the mechanic if he's actually fixing it correctly. But if he is I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem. The dealer has already said if they can't get it fixed they will be replacing the entire engine. I'm just sick of the car being in the shop and reducing my fiancee and me to one car.
Address the solenoids as I suggested, they can and have caused this kind of problem before. If you're covered warranty wise, you've done well. Ride it out and update. Enjoy the extra time with the fiancee, unless you're sleeping in separate rooms.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,235 Posts
yours is the first thread I have seen that had the timing chains done on a 3.0 liter V6 and yours was covered under warranty...

Hopefully JU's suggestions get you back up and running...good luck

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts