Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I got a new Key FOB for my 2012 CTS Coupe 3.6, I tried to program the new key fob the simple way (with the lock cylinder 5 times etc..) but nothing worked (nothing shows on DIC).
So I tried to program it with my Tech2Win adapter.

Whenever I go to program it, it just shows an error - 'Device Control Not Allowed'.
Anybody got any idea what to do?

Maybe Tech2Win is too old and I need MDI or something?
Thanks!

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
3,144 Posts
Maybe Tech2Win is too old and I need MDI or something?
Not positive, but I do believe that is the case. I believe Tech2 was mostly out except for maybe scanning and some other functions around 08 +/-. 2012 uses a new GM based PCM and operating system in place of BOSCH for the 3.6L. You may be under what's called the global A model which comes with it's on challenges, which I recall makes reprogramming used PCMs more difficult, if not impossible. I believe earlier registered FOBs have to be removed from memory at some point, youtube may be helpful.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so as I said my coupe wouldn't go into the key fob programming mode (with the 5 times turn key on the trunk lock cylinder) no matter what I did.

I got my VCXDIAG and instead of using Tech2Win I went into acdelcotds.com and got a subscription for my VIN.
Downloaded and ran their Techline Connect program, then flashed "V.T.D. Keyless Ignition (With rotary switch) Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn. " -> "Prepare RCDLR for key fob programming. ".

Random lights in the car flashed, it made me wait ~12 minutes, then when it finished my key fob still worked, but when I did the 5 key turns on the lock thing, it went right to the programming mode on the DIC, as all the guides show.

Well, turns out the key fob I got from AliExpress doesn't work with my car, so I need to get a new fob from somewhere. Its the 433mhz model for export as I am from Israel, so its really hard to find.
I hope this helps someone with a weird coupe like mine.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
3,144 Posts
Well, turns out the key fob I got from AliExpress doesn't work with my car,
Many here including myself would have told you the AliExpress knockoff was a bad idea if you had mentioned that was what you were working with in the first post. The knockoff Tech2 is fine, but parts that can deadline the car when they fail, or malfunction need to be replaced with OE parts.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many here including myself would have told you the AliExpress knockoff was a bad idea if you had mentioned that was what you were working with in the first post. The knockoff Tech2 is fine, but parts that can deadline the car when they fail, or malfunction need to be replaced with OE parts.
Yes, but the OEM 433mhz fob is like $200 (without counting the fun 48% tax when I bring it into Israel). Got the AliExpress fob in hopes it would work and sit in a drawer as a backup as I have only 1 OEM fob.
Though, guess that's not happening and I need to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
3,144 Posts
Yes, but the OEM 433mhz fob is like $200 (without counting the fun 48% tax when I bring it into Israel). Got the AliExpress fob in hopes it would work and sit in a drawer as a backup as I have only 1 OEM fob.
Though, guess that's not happening and I need to bite the bullet.
Understood, but detailed information is for the purpose of helping one problem solve efficiently. This could have been even more expensive and tedious, the longer it had gone on without your discovering the FOB was not compatible.

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
2,103 Posts
why pay the tax? just attach it to your regular key ring:)

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Understood, but detailed information is for the purpose of helping one problem solve efficiently. This could have been even more expensive and tedious, the longer it had gone on without your discovering the FOB was not compatible.
True. I greatly appreciate the help :D

why pay the tax? just attach it to your regular key ring:)
Gotta order it to Israel with DHL or USPS or something, and it will inevitably be stopped by the Ministry of Communications or something because they are for some reason afraid of normal everyday car remotes - and if they do approve it (after some good old bureaucracy, not kidding), it will be taxed to hell... Ridiculous, yeah. Of course AliExpress chinese remotes just pass without anybody looking at it because they don't label it - common bureaucrat logic, letting questionable unlabeled items through without inspection and properly labeled OEM items get practically checked with a microscope.

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
2,103 Posts
True. I greatly appreciate the help :D

Gotta order it to Israel with DHL or USPS or something, and it will inevitably be stopped by the Ministry of Communications or something because they are for some reason afraid of normal everyday car remotes - and if they do approve it (after some good old bureaucracy, not kidding), it will be taxed to hell... Ridiculous, yeah. Of course AliExpress chinese remotes just pass without anybody looking at it because they don't label it - common bureaucrat logic, letting questionable unlabeled items through without inspection and properly labeled OEM items get practically checked with a microscope.

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
2,103 Posts
mail it to a friend outside? have him put some stupid keys on it and say with a letter - your forgotten keys, hope to see you again LOL

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,526 Posts
There is an amazon based key fob that works that is $25 but it is really cheap. Have one as my third remote.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts