Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
135K miles, Both catalytic converters changed, new spark plugs, all recently. Car has no check engine light appearing and no codes appear when OBD is checked. The car just has no low down power. What could cause the problem and NOT show a code?

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
I have a 2005 with the 2.8 engine also. I don't know if your car has the button for driving in snow or not but if you do and it is turned on then the car will take off in 3rd gear and be really slow so check that. I don't remember if it defaults to regular or stays in the snow mode once you push the button.

Roy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I imagine you are talking about the TCS button in the glove box so I have tried with it (the warning light) on an off and it makes no difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I didn't even know about the TC button in the glove box, I will have to check that out. My car is an automatic and just to the left of the shifter there are the the indications for gears and at the bottom is an S button for sport and at the top is a snowflake for snow driving.

Roy

·
Registered
170 Posts
To start with do you have your own scanner? If so can you watch what you're O2 sensors are doing? The up stream sensors should be pretty erratic and the downstream ones should be relatively steady. If the downstream is jumping around a lot then you might have a problem with the sensors and that can cause the symptoms you are having. Also if your timing is off that could be another cause. You may have to do either a compression test or a leak down test to see if you have bad rings. Another way to check somewhat is to pull the PCV tubes out of your intake if yours is set up that way like mine and block the intake passages and then undo the other one out of the valve cover at the intake area and then see if you're getting very much smoke or vapor out of any of the three openings. That would be a possible indication of too much Blow by. I own 14 vehicles and do some work on all of them so I am just using my cumulative Knowledge from those to spitball ideas here. I have very little Cadillac specific knowledge because I haven't had too many problems with mine and have only done a little bit of work to it so far.

Roy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked the o2 sensors and they are operating within limits. I am doing simple things like changing the fuel filter and cleaning the throttle body even though I would have expected them to send a code of some sort (iean mixture) and will see if that has a result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts