Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 2005 Sports Luxury 2.8 V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I am unable to open front passenger door from inside and outside, the lock/unlock button works and the locking knob goes in and out but the door is still not opening.
What is the reason it happen of this problem?
how to release the door lock without damaging the door or internal trim?
What tools do I need to release the lock, and to replace it? (kindly paste some pictures as the names of the tools may be different in UK)
what parts do I need (the catch)?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,806 Posts
What is up with you UK guys having passenger door issues? There are several other folks from the UK who has problems with it too. But of course they don't post what they did, or if they given up.

How cold is it over there on a daily bases right now?

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 2007 Sport Luxury
145 Posts
My friend who had this, took out the lock, and there is a moving part on the locking mechanism that looked like it might be sticking, so he filed it down so it moved more freely.
I will ask him tomorrow when I see him what part it was.
So far it has been working for him since he did it 2 weeks ago, after having the fault for 8 weeks.
By the way, you cannot get the door panel off if you cant open the door, lucky for my friend the lock started working again, so he quickly took the panel off and sorted the lock.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KOT/Pete, it is not that cold I believe. I think Cadillac is running in Canada and Northern states of US which are much more freezing than UK. I think it is rain than cold which is causing the problems.
when I had the exact same problem 2yrs back , luckily the door started working after freezing for 1 month and I took the chance as your friend did and replaced the lock myself but this time my car front passenger door is sealed since Dec 2014 and still NO LUCK.

Is there a way to reach the door catch while it is sealed and hammer it open, which will definitely break the catch assembly but is that possible without breaking the door or inner trim or anything else. Your further guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,806 Posts
Muhammad said:
KOT/Pete, it is not that cold I believe. I think Cadillac is running in Canada and Northern states of US which are much more freezing than UK.
I don't think we use the same mechanism, because your door does not have a key tumbler like ours do. Simply because it's your passenger and our drivers door. So with that one detail being different, the whole mechanics of the lock maybe different too.

The part that the other person mentioned maybe a little bit larger because of this or that. Hence why his friend was able to shave it down some and hasn't had a problem.

I'm looking forward to the part in question.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 2007 Sport Luxury
145 Posts
Well, it turned out that my friend, who is a lazy man, took it some where to have them look at it, and it was them who took the mechanism out and refitted it while my friend stood around.
I showed him all the photo's on ebay of CTS locks and catch's, but he said none of the photo's resembled the part that came out of his UK spec car, so posibly the UK one is made slightly different than the US version.
Also, remember, the lock went back to working, as he was able to open the door to get the panel off and lock out, and so far, it is still working, which may be just a coincidence, time will tell.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you KOT.... I know the part number for the lock mechanism which are

my question is that if I want to force open the door, I don't want to damage the door metal or inner trim because they cost a fortune. Now the only way is either to reach the lock mechanism while it is frozen and break the latch which clips on to the metal stricker plate (on the car body) or somehow use reciprocating saw to break the stricker plate and free up the lock.

Pete, can you please check with your friend whom he took the car to, to get it fixed. Were they American car experts or just random car mechanics.

·
Registered
CTS 2007 Sport Luxury
145 Posts
Thank you KOT.... I know the part number for the lock mechanism which are

my question is that if I want to force open the door, I don't want to damage the door metal or inner trim because they cost a fortune. Now the only way is either to reach the lock mechanism while it is frozen and break the latch which clips on to the metal stricker plate (on the car body) or somehow use reciprocating saw to break the stricker plate and free up the lock.

Pete, can you please check with your friend whom he took the car to, to get it fixed. Were they American car experts or just random car mechanics.
The guy is a self employed mobile mechanic, but has been around american motors for many years, he is in rainham essex.
I will see if I can get his phone number.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Pete, I would wait for you to come back to me with the name/contact of the mechanic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts