Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all the wonderful CTS owners

I have a 2003 CTS, my left headlight bulb went out, (that's the blue one, I believe they are call HID, or OEM HID, - it came with the car, I didn't add it one, - Problem is, it is burnt out
:eek:
1) does anyone know the GM part number for this, can I pick it up at a local car part dealer? - I need a bit of spec's on this

I went to GM, they told me its going to cost $534 (cnd) for this piece!

2) How do I change this, Do i really have to take off the whole bumper in order to change this

- Please I need your help before I get pulled over

Thank you kindly in advance to those willing to help out

·
Registered
'04 Escalade EXT
352 Posts
You do actually need to remove the fromt bumper. there is a writup on this procedure at www.cadillacfaqs.com under exterior. i would check that site out, there are a lot of good and interesting things there. as far as price i don't know, but over 500 seems waaaay to much. welcome to the forum and enjoy your cts

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
If you are sure you have the HID bulbs, then that price is correct. Xenon light bulbs are very expensive but they are supposed to last the life of the car. It makes me suspicious that your car may not have HID bulbs because it burned out so soon. Check again before you plop down money for the wrong bulb.

For replacement of the lightbulb, you will need to remove the front bumper.

·
Registered
362 Posts
WestPaulCts said:
Hi to all the wonderful CTS owners

I have a 2003 CTS, my left headlight bulb went out, (that's the blue one, I believe they are call HID, or OEM HID, - it came with the car, I didn't add it one, - Problem is, it is burnt out
:eek:
1) does anyone know the GM part number for this, can I pick it up at a local car part dealer? - I need a bit of spec's on this

I went to GM, they told me its going to cost $534 (cnd) for this piece!

2) How do I change this, Do i really have to take off the whole bumper in order to change this

- Please I need your help before I get pulled over

Thank you kindly in advance to those willing to help out
I'd see if it's not the control module or the ignitor thats worn out. My buddy had a CLK and the Xenon light burnt out on one side, and we thought it was the bulb, the dealership laughed and pretty much said that those do not burn out usually within 10 years. Sure enough it was his control module.

Isn't your car on warranty for another year anyway?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
P.S. We're here to help. If you need illustrations from the service manual I can fax them to you:D You can find almost all the answers here.:p Just give me a fax number if you need it.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I replaced one earlier today on an '05. (which is not common in the least)
Yes you have to remove the bumper, but it's really pretty easy.
Yes it costs that much and yes I believe the ballast is built in as part of the bulb.
The diagnostic chart says if you have power and ground at the connector to the housing it needs a bulb.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes it costs that much and yes I believe the ballast is built in as part of the bulb.
:tisk: The ballast is separate from the light, it's located under the actual light assembly.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Keep in mind that its best to replace both bulbs when one burns out. Especially on an 03.. HID bulbs are not like Halogens, they color shift after about a 100hrs of use so if You replace just the burned out one more then likely you're gonna have different colored bulbs. The new 1 will look yellowish white while the other will be a more pure white (basically more blue looking to the eye).

Try www.suvlights.com they have the D1S bulbs our CTS's use. Actually what you could do if u want to buy just one is buy the 5400k D1S, that should be more similar in color to the 2 yr old (4300k) bulb u still have. Phillips actually made and designed the 5400K bulbs for this purpose.

Oh an the ignitor is attached on the D1S bulbs, not the ballast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts