Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS & 2009 SRX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife 2003 CTS, 5 speed manual has 41K, with the dealers extended warranty. Over the last couple of years she has had the clutch hydraulics replaced, a new transmission installed(bad synchro) and now the drive shaft is being replaced. Does anybody have a opinion if these problems are related? How about the repair work not being done properly(alignment of the tranny with the drive shaft, clutch not being fixed properly) causing these parts to break?

It does seem like with low mileage, there is a lot of major work being done. I am hoping that new parts are more durable than the original

Thx,

Peter

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Let's see, you said your wife's CTS has drive train problems. Could all the problems be related to a women driver? Ha Ha ... just adding some levity to bump your post.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,945 Posts
There are all kinds of opinions but they mean nothing without being able to prove anything. I'd take it to a different shop from now on and I think you have two chances for a recovery, slim and none.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS Sport
44 Posts
Well, what broke on the driveshaft exactly?? I've never heard of that happening on a regular CTS. My guess is that this most recent problem is related to your previous repairs. How often do dealerships work on manual transmission CTSes? Plenty of opportunity for something to not be repaired or replaced correctly.

As far as the first repairs go... not sure about that. Could be bad components that failed prematurely, could be driving style... it does seem that the first year of any new vehicle is bound to have more issues.

·
Registered
94 FWB - 03 CTS 5 speed
150 Posts
I have a 2003 CTS w/manual and its funny that you post this, because I just got my driveshaft replaced at the dealer 3 days ago because the rubber bushing was shot. Apparently the driveshaft and bushing only come as 1 piece and they needed to replace the entire thing, being a Small Block Chevy guy, I have seen alot of driveshafts in my time, and never saw one with any rubber parts on it, possiably yours just wore out like mine. My CTS has 55k on it.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
My early 03 has 102K miles and is still using the original clutch, trans, and driveshaft, so I don't think it's a routine thing to wear out so soon. I did have a bolt on the driveshaft back out and fall off once. the dealer simply replaced it under warranty and I was on my way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've had my drive shaft replaced twice in my 03, both under warranty while the car was out of warranty. The first time it happened I was told it was not balanced correctly and they did not use the proper locking washers to keep it in place. The second time it happened I was told there was a recall on the unit to connect the drive shaft up. I could be wrong on my term but I believe they said most cars use a ujoint and the 5 speed CTS is a little different. It has been replaced for well over a year maybe a year and a half and it has been solid. I have 110k miles on my 03 and I have had some minor problems but the car has been a rock for the most part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts