Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
40 Posts
Hey everyone!

Have a 2007 CTS 2.8 with an engine about to go. Planning to do a swap to a 3.6 - does anyone have experience with this?

Should it just be a straight reflash of the ECM? Any trouble with security/vehicle acceptance?

Also, any other mechanical issues to be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do you have the ECM from the 3.6 motor? If so it's literally plug and play. If you have all the electrical components.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,496 Posts
All that work for 45 HP and 58 lb. ft. of torque?...Seems a bit on the PITA side to me....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Is the 2.8 blown or going out? Cause if it is, it's a great idea. And that 45hp makes a hella difference.

----------

It's Like going from the 3.6 to a new tuned 2.0t not really that much more power but it's night and day.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
The 3.6 has a lot more torque across a broader band, so if you have a 3.6 laying around then I say go for it. The only difference between the 2.8 and the 3.6 is the cylinder size and related hardware. It should pretty much be plug and play. Heck if you resleeve the cylinders and get the internals from a 3.6 you can turn a 2.8 into a 3.6. Hmm how about getting the LP9 turbo 2.8 out of a saab 9-3, or saab 9-5 (2010 -2012) 280 hp, 270 tq. might be fun to look into. Here is the wiki on the engine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_High_Feature_engine#LP9_Turbo

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
377 Posts
I've pondered this question about 2.8 to 3.6. Is the actual tuning different? Or will the ecm sense added airflow and compensate? If not do you need an ecm from a 3.6 or have one programmed? The programming seems to be based on the cars vin. If you program the vin of a different car or use an ecm from a salvage car will the bcm conflict(are the bcms programmed to the vin?)? Like some gm radios have to be programmed to the vin or they say theft lock. Can a aftermarket tuner do this?

----------

I even looked up the engine wiring harness and its the same.http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=375605&ukey_make=1023&ukey_model=14463&modelYear=2007&ukey_category=19592&ukey_trimLevel=14343 http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=375623&ukey_make=1023&ukey_model=14463&modelYear=2007&ukey_category=19592&ukey_trimLevel=14343

·
Registered
629 Posts
You may also get trouble with the rear end. If it's a 03 w a 373 gear and you put a 3.6 ECM in it that runs a 343 gear, you'll have issues.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
-=chuckles=-Okay okay, this is pretty funny. If you are very worried you can go to dealership after the install and have them reprogram the ecm for a hundred or two. Yes, you can reprogram the gear ration from the rear as well so the speedometer is correct. I am not sure that it would need it for the engine size since the ecm is smart enough to relearn the air flow, power output, knock and timing. Think of it like this: If the car was running at a high altitude with less air it would adjust right? But if you are worried just get a dealership to reprogram it.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi again!
Thanks for the responses and interest guys!

Aurora and Curt, the motor is toast, it's getting pulled. So it's either another 2.8 or the 3.6, why not right?

Kael, those Saabs sound awesome. But they're FWD or AWD, possible difference with where accessories and such are mounted...

As for the ECM and related issues, we have a programmer.
So I'm guessing all the issues everyone is assuming there will be is with the ECM

Well! We've found a 3.6 out of a 2009 CTS AWD (yes, it's the LY7)
Does anyone know why the AWD LY7 would be under a different category than the RWD?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Alright everyone,

IT'S DONE!!!

Just to recap:
2007 2.8 CTS mated with manual trans (engine was blown)
2009 3.6 CTS AWD mated with automatic trans (engine used to drop in)

Job done

Thanks again guys...
Later

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude you cant just post something like that and not show us pics let alone video of that beast in action.
Lol, I asked for help... and genuinely could've used some tips...
But the thread went dead even :/

Anyways, I was gonna post some simple pics, but couldn't on my phone

As for the video... What kinda video were you looking for?
I'm avoiding pushing it too hard as I just put in a new clutch

·
Registered
377 Posts
Man great job. I think the reason you didn't get a lot of responses was you're in pretty uncharted territory here. So back to the swap, was it just plug and play or did you have to swap ECU's or program it differently? Any parts on the engine have to be swapped out?
When not if I need a motor down the road this seems like the logical swap for me. New clutch you say? Which one did you go with? I put in a luk which was stamped valeo same as the original and OE flywheel.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,568 Posts
I think the reason you didn't get a lot of responses was you're in pretty uncharted territory here.
Bingo! You can't expect to get many answers when nobody on the forum has done what you want to do. Presumably you've learned the answers to the questions you were trying to get answered at the beginning of this thread, so share your hard-earned knowledge so that others can benefit.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
717 Posts
Exactemundo, Personally with the readily available 3.6's out there id have kept the other car for spares or part it out and bought a ready to roll car, if your involved in a crash and things dont match up ie vin/engine codes etc, the blame will be all at your door.
Congrats on the swap though :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well I know your UK mot inspections are way more than the USA but I've never seen the police or insurance in this country digging around for casting and stamping numbers on an engine. Is there any difference if you swap a 2.8 for for a 2.8? The Vin engine codes won't match up either. But if you have a super nice 2.8 CTS with a bad motor can do the work yourself for say 1500 to 2000 dollars why not drop in a 3.6 for the same money? That is if it's plug and play. I mean a nice 2007 CTS might be 10k. You're 8k ahead. They are the same motor just different displacement. Now if you opened the hood and it had a small block Chevy someone might notice but still if your abs and airbags work who cares.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts