Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DTS V8 4.6L
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any attempts in doing an engine swap for the first generation CTS. the only reason why i was thinking about doing this is because. There are little to no aftermarket parts for the 1g CTS n to supercharge a cts is gonna cost over 10k. Anyone know of anything?

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
it's been talked about a hundred times, if you want to do a swap, just get a V.. not only do you get the engine, but you get all the other components and goodies that go along with.
the V gets you the engine, the diff, the suspension, the transmission, the brakes, the exterior, the interior, etc..

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
its much easier to buy a V...i was looking on ebay and they go for 16-22k now.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DTS V8 4.6L
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahah sorry guys i would buy a cts-v but im a college student and only have about 1-2k to mess around with so buying a "V" is outta the question. And i got all the parts for the engine that im thinking about swapping into it.

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
what are you wanting to put in it and how much power is coming off the engine?

i think our diff. is nearing the upper limit for power/torque as it is (for the 3.6L engine that is), the 5spd manual is rated to a max of 250ft*lb (wikipedia specs) not sure what the 5spd auto can handle but likely about the same.
and it's safer to say, bigger engine=bigger brakes. and what's the point of the added power if you cant take a turn properly (it's not the 1960's and it's not a GTO lol), so stiffer struts and bigger sways would likely be helpful

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
With 1-2k, an engine swap is out of the question as well.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
hahah sorry guys i would buy a cts-v but im a college student and only have about 1-2k to mess around with so buying a "V" is outta the question. And i got all the parts for the engine that im thinking about swapping into it.

try racing stripes, .... it will make you feel fast, plus you'll have the extra $1,950 in yoru pocket :)

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
what are you wanting to put in it and how much power is coming off the engine?

i think our diff. is nearing the upper limit for power/torque as it is (for the 3.6L engine that is), the 5spd manual is rated to a max of 250ft*lb (wikipedia specs) not sure what the 5spd auto can handle but likely about the same.
and it's safer to say, bigger engine=bigger brakes. and what's the point of the added power if you cant take a turn properly (it's not the 1960's and it's not a GTO lol), so stiffer struts and bigger sways would likely be helpful
Where did you find the specs on the Getrag 260? The 5L40E is rated to 250 lbs-ft. The Aisin 6 spd can handle 350+ lbs-ft. The 5L50E (STS/XLR/SRX) is the same basic trans as our 5L40E, but rated to 300 lbs-ft.

Im curious about your claims of the differential. AFAIK, there are no differences except gear ratio between the V and the V6 LSD. Ive seen a few failures in V's, but Ive never seen a catastrophic failure in the V6. I think the G80 LSD is perfectly fine for the V6 use. Even in the V, its not a gaurenteed failure...

Id like to know if the V G80 LSD and the V6 G80 LSD are the same part#...Rippy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts