Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 2003
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a CTS 2003 with 85,000 miles on it. I had it for 30 days and the all of sudden my car started jolting while it was changing gears... then I would hit the brake and it jolted again. I was freaked out so I took it to a mechanic shop and he said it was the ECM. He told me to take it to the dealership. I took it and they said something was wrong with the throttle sensor and that the entire throttle body had to be replaced. It has been 3 weeks and I am still able to drive it. I'd say about 40% of the time the engine light comes on and my car begins to jolt... Its really weird because the other 60% of the time the engine light automatically goes off and nothing is wrong with it.
The other day it said SERVICE IDLE and the car began to go into lower power and then shut off while I was in traffic on the freeway. It did this 3 times but has not done it the last few days. I cant afford to replace the throttle body $400 parts plus labor... I was reading on the forums about cleaning it... does anyone think that will work? and should I give it a shot? if so where do i find the throttle body and what kind of instructions can i find on how to clean it, and what kind of cleaner should i use?

Or is there no other way, do i just have to surrender and fix it?
 

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
Joined
·
6,414 Posts
first ? for ya...do you know if the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) has been replaced?

also, i recommend using Seafoam with cleaning your throttle body...if you just do a search on this forum, you will find out how to clean it and all the other ?s you have
 

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
Joined
·
32 Posts
Hey Fastforward...I recently started experiencing the exact identical problems with my 03 CTS. I haven't driven my car for about a week now because it wont start sometimes and it completely shut down on me on the freeway a few times already, its pretty scary. Anyways I tried cleaning the throttle as well but I saw no results. If you find anything on how to fix this let me know please...and I'll do the same for you. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
Joined
·
6,414 Posts
Crankshaft Position Semsor (CPS) and do a search on this forum about it, there are plenty of instructions on how to do it
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top