Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the CT6 supposed to be an eventual replacement for the XTS?

I was given a brand new 2019 CT6 with 6 miles on it as a loaner car for a week while my 2017 XTS was being repaired and did not particularly like the overall ride of the CT6 compared to the XTS.

The XTS takes bumps much better and I think that the XTS rides nicer as well.

I did find the CT6 very comfortable and roomy as my XTS.

John

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think if it was intended to replace the XTS they would have stopped making the XTS a while ago. Be that as it may, 2019 is the last model year for the XTS and it appears they will continue to make the CT6, so it will be the only large Cadillac sedan.

Your ride complaint is pretty common from XTS owners, although I would be surprised if an XTS rode a lot better than mine. The 2019 Platinum is night and day different in ride from the 2017 Platinum. I have driven on an old (100 years) brick road and didn't really notice it, and I have 20 inch wheels with low profile tires.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2,183 Posts
The XTS was a 'stop gap" car until GM could bring out the flagship. Regardless it turned out to be a very nice car and was kept around longer than intended. I recently had one as a rental car and it was a nice cruiser with a very nice interior. It is the perfect replacement for the crowd that loved the DTS. The CT6 is a different animal and more of a drivers car. It is confusing for non car nuts to understand why they both exist at the same time, but if Cadillac had ever marketed these correctly, they would have complimented each other rather than confuse the customer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would agree. The CT6 and XTS are entirely different beasts. Especially mine... a 2019 CT6 Sport with the 3.0TT... Panaray 34-speaker system... Active Chassis / Rear steering on 20" wheels... The CT6 is CRAZY, inside and out.

I just got an XTS as a loaner while my Escalade was in for service, and, well... it's a nice car and all... But it's honestly nothing like the CT6...

·
Registered
31 Posts
The XTS is a cruiser - the CT6 is a sport sedan along the lines of BMW and Mercedes. We had an XTS as a loaner and my wife said it was 'nice'... but 'boring'.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The XTS was supposed to be retired two years ago, but strong sales and shared chassis development with the resulting higher profit margin extended its life to the final 2020 model year. A pretty good run for a "stop-gap" vehicle. With two sedans in the full-sized segment, it's definitely taken a bite out of CT6 sales.

CCC

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just did a drive through hard rain on bad pavement and my XTS was taking it beautifully, then I passed a new black CT6 and the styling just makes me want one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your reply about a smooth ride in the 2019 Platinum with 20 inch wheels makes me wonder if there is some "fix" to smooth out the ride of my 2018 with 20 inch wheels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently traded my 2016 CT6 3.0TT with 19" wheels for a 2019 CT6 with 20" wheels. The 2019 also has dynamic ride control (the 2016 did not)......so perhaps an unfair comparison.

This I can report....I rate the overall ride better in the 2019. At slower speeds you do "feel" the road more in the 2019....that is, small road imperfections are more evident. At highway speeds there is not much difference for small imperfections, if any. However, the 2019 handles larger bumps much more smoothly (much less jarring) at both slow and highway speeds. The 2019 also has a "sure-footedness" character that is different from the 2016. In summary....the 2019 handles more like you would expect a premium foreign car to handle.

That said, my 2019 CT6 w/20" wheels rides much more smoothly than my previous 2014 BMW 650 w/20" wheels (and with run-flats...never again).

All this does boil down to personal preferences though.....so always do an extended test drive to make sure it is what you are comfortable with.

I do have to say that GM engineers have done an extraordinary job balancing luxury ride characteristics with performance characteristics for the CT6. It is a sorry shame that they have never been able to market the very positive aspects of the CT6 in this regard.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I recently traded my 2016 CT6 3.0TT with 19" wheels for a 2019 CT6 with 20" wheels. The 2019 also has dynamic ride control (the 2016 did not)......so perhaps an unfair comparison.

This I can report....I rate the overall ride better in the 2019. At slower speeds you do "feel" the road more in the 2019....that is, small road imperfections are more evident. At highway speeds there is not much difference for small imperfections, if any. However, the 2019 handles larger bumps much more smoothly (much less jarring) at both slow and highway speeds. The 2019 also has a "sure-footedness" character that is different from the 2016. In summary....the 2019 handles more like you would expect a premium foreign car to handle.

That said, my 2019 CT6 w/20" wheels rides much more smoothly than my previous 2014 BMW 650 w/20" wheels (and with run-flats...never again).

All this does boil down to personal preferences though.....so always do an extended test drive to make sure it is what you are comfortable with.

I do have to say that GM engineers have done an extraordinary job balancing luxury ride characteristics with performance characteristics for the CT6. It is a sorry shame that they have never been able to market the very positive aspects of the CT6 in this regard.
I was never a fan of 20" wheels and was on the verge of changing my 20" wheels and tires for 19". When I told a tire dealer what I was planning on doing he ask me if I realized that the difference in size was so minute that I probably would not see that much difference in ride to warrant the cost associated with making such a change. His recommendation was for me to just try a different tire.
I switched my OEM Potenza's RE97 A/S 245-40-20V for the GoodYear Eagle Touring A/S 245-40-20W and to be quite honest I see very little difference with the ride on 19". The ride on the 20" is much better with the GoodYear Eagle Touring.
My 2019 XTS has MRC and it also helps to smooth out things traveling over rough surfaces. I totally agree with you about the feel of the road at slow speeds with the 20's but try riding on the Bridgestone RE97 and you will really experience what it is like to feel the road at slow speeds.
I sometimes wonder if the ride on 19's might even be better with MRC but I think at least as far as the XTS is concerned it might make the ride to floaty and take away some of the performance expect that are intended for the car.
As far as wheel damage I believe that the same pot hole that will take out a 20" wheel would do much the same to a 19" wheel too. As cautious as I am with my 20" I was just as cautious when I had the CT6 with 19's.
The 20" wheel thing is more of a mental thing with me as I have always been firm on not purchasing a car with 20" wheels but the way Cadillac is packaging these cars off I had no choice. I really appreciated your post.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Keep in mind there is only a half inch difference in sidewall for the 19" vs 20" wheels. So your comment about tires perhaps being more important is well taken.

And if you are concerned about ride characteristics do not even think about run-flats in that regard. The fact that the CT6 still has a donut spare was a selling point for me (having come off a BMW 650 with run-flats). I went through 6 tires in 16K miles with the BMW and it was a very harsh ride. That included 4 blowouts and one damaged wheel. At $500 dollars a pop that gets old very fast. The 2016 CT6 I just traded in had over 28K miles on the original Goodyear Eagles with plenty of rubber still left. Very big difference!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I traded my 2014 XTS in on a 2016 CT6. I then traded that in on a 2018 CT6 to get Super Cruise. Both had the suspension and rear steering options. This forced 20in wheels on me. I put about 20k miles on each CT6.

The CT6 had a much stiffer ride than the XTS. I obtained aftermarket 18in wheels (with Michelin's smooth ride tires), being careful to match the original overall tire diameter. These went on the the 2016, and then on the 2018. This smoothed out the ride considerably.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As an overall satisfied 2017 ct6 owner equipped with 19" wheels & OEM Goodyear Eagle Tourings, we've found zero fault with this combo while driving seasonally here in the foothills of the S-N in Northern California in terms of NVH & road traction. When we originally purchased our ct6 in May, 2017, we first test drove at the dealer a 2017 ct6 with 20" wheels and magnetic ride control. While we discerned no noticeable discomfort in our brief test drive, we ultimately chose our ct6 equipped with 19" wheels for greater sidewall protection from fod. (yes, every 1/2" radius helps). FWIW, regardless of tire manufacture or size, maintaining recommended tire air pressure is paramount to ensuring both advertised handling and ride comfort characteristics not to mention affirming tread wear life. Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
713 Posts
I traded my 2014 XTS in on a 2016 CT6. I then traded that in on a 2018 CT6 to get Super Cruise. Both had the suspension and rear steering options. This forced 20in wheels on me. I put about 20k miles on each CT6.

The CT6 had a much stiffer ride than the XTS. I obtained aftermarket 18in wheels (with Michelin's smooth ride tires), being careful to match the original overall tire diameter. These went on the the 2016, and then on the 2018. This smoothed out the ride considerably.
They not only force the 20" wheel on you with the Premium, Platinum, and V trim but they only offer one wheel. Personally I did not care for the 20" nor the look of the wheels that came on my 2019 XTS Premium Lux AWD.
I first contacted Cadillac Customer Service to make certain that I could put the OEM 19" wheels on my car. Their response was that they did not recommend that dealership switch the OEM wheel size on cars and they did not recommend that I do it. Now I know that the 19" wheels with the 245-45-19 tires would be comparable to the 20" wheels with 245-40-20 on my car. The switch would compromise nothing. The speedometer would not be affected and the only thing that might be is the TPMS.
In that it is also a mental thing with me not to change the wheel tire set up listed on the drivers door post on the car I decided not to put 19" wheels on, but I did purchase the 20" OEM wheels that come with the Platinum Trim and put the GoodYear Eagle Touring opposed to the Bridgestone Potenza RE97 on the car. The GoodYears improved the ride especially going over rough surfaces and make living with the 20" wheels much better.
There are times when I think perhaps I should have purchased the 19" wheels, but to do so now would be way to costly and at this point a waste of money.
There is absolutely no reason that Cadillac could not have put the 19" wheels on or at least offered them for the 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD.

·
Registered
713 Posts
They not only force the 20" wheel on you with the Premium Lux, Platinum, and V trim but they only offer one wheel. Personally I did not care for the 20" nor the look of the wheels that came on my 2019 XTS Premium Lux AWD.
I first contacted Cadillac Customer Service to make certain that I could put the OEM 19" wheels on my car. Their response was that they did not recommend that dealership switch the OEM wheel size on cars and they did not recommend that I do it. Now I know that the 19" wheels with the 245-45-19 tires would be comparable to the 20" wheels with 245-40-20 on my car. The switch would compromise nothing. The speedometer would not be affected and the only thing that might be is the TPMS.
In that it is also a mental thing with me not to change the wheel tire set up listed on the drivers door post on the car I decided not to put 19" wheels on, but I did purchase the 20" OEM wheels that come with the Platinum Trim and put the GoodYear Eagle Touring opposed to the Bridgestone Potenza RE97 on the car. The GoodYears improved the ride especially going over rough surfaces and make living with the 20" wheels much better.
There are times when I think perhaps I should have purchased the 19" wheels, but to do so now would be way to costly and at this point a waste of money.
There is absolutely no reason that Cadillac could not have put the 19" wheels on or at least offered them for the 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD.
I just detailed my car a day ago and today I took it out on a little drive. The 20" wheels from the Platinum Trim not only look nice on the car but are a lot better looking than the OEM wheels that come with the Premium Lux and I think they compliment the car better than 19' wheels.
As I stated earlier the ride is much better on the GoodYear Eagle Touring than the Bridgestone Potenza RE97 so much so that I think to put !9" wheels on this car with MRC might indeed make the ride to soft and take away from some of the performance expects that were intended for the car.
With only 900 miles on them the GoodYear Eagle Touring are really just starting to break in. They also do not seem to suffer from flat spotting as easily as some low profile tire are. None of the tires were out of round at purchase and they all balance well right out the door.
It will still be interesting to see if Michelin comes out with the Premier A/S in size 245-40-20 V or W.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I was in service today and a gentelman pulled in behind me with an identical XTS as mine. Because I put the Platinum Trim wheels on my car he thought I had 19" wheels and said to me that he wish he had 19" wheels. He was a little surprised when I told him my wheels were 20" with GoodYear Eagle Touring which I felt would give him a better ride than the Bridgestone Potenza's on his car.
Why can't Cadillac understand that everybody does not desire 20" wheels and there is absolutely no reason for not offering 19" wheels on both the Premium Lux and Platinum Trims. In that the XTS is on its way out the door this not anything that Cadillac really needs to concern its self with now.
Another interesting thing was that there were three of us in the service bay and we were all driving Phantom Grey color cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts