Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I purchased a 2019 CT6 V with 3100 miles on it and I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how to remove the top speed governor? The 149MPH governed speed is really a shame on such a smooth powerful vehicle that can achieve a higher top speed easily and safely. I'm hoping there is a relatively easy fix that doesn't require "chipping" the car. That I will not be doing to this beautiful machine. Any tips out there?
Thanks!
Mountain Blackwing

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,053 Posts
Call Wester's Garage in west central Canada. They work on PCMs for a LOT of different cars. (No, not the 2000 - 2004 FWD Northstar cars)

The "Price List" tab -

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV 2WD 6.2
29 Posts
The speed limiters are set to account for tire limitations. What is the speed rating for the tires you intend to use? What driver training have you had for handling at car at over 150?
No one needs to be endangering the rest if us by being unqualified and having inadequate equipment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip Submariner. I will give them a call.
SoCalESV - your concerns make sense as there are idiots on the road everywhere. I am however not one of them. I have taken a variety of driving classes over the last 20yrs and have owned a variety of high performance vehicles. My most recent class was from the Proformance Racing school. They hold classes at Pacific Raceways outside of Seattle where I live. It was part of the qualifying requirements to race in the Silver State Classic. They also have Sport Driving days at Pacific that I enjoy doing. I have also taken a variety of classes at Dirtfish. I have the stock tires that come on the CT6 V which are Goodyear F1 Super Car Y rated tires. These are rated to 186MPH. Taking a CT6 V up to 150MPH on a track or an open stretch of Montana (when conditions are right) that I drive regularly for work is not like taking an escalade up to 100 mph. The CT6 V is a world class performance sedan that competes with European brands flag ships such as Mercedes S class AMG, S8 Audi, and BMW 7 series. All of which have higher speed governors. It is a drivers car and that is what I bought it for and what I do.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV 2WD 6.2
29 Posts
That is good to know. Sounds like you are a skilled and knowledgable driver. Removing the speed limiter is usually easy with a minor programming change in the PCM. If you are getting an upgraded performance tune, it can be done at the same time. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I won't be doing any performance tunes with this engine. Hand made engine that shares no parts with any GM engines besides basic sensors. I would be scared to death to tune it and have something go wrong with it. Not going to be a cheap engine to work on and replace parts with. I also got an extended warranty to 125K miles that I don't want to put at risk by tuning. I just want a stealth governor lift. Cool forum.....

·
Registered
2020 CT6-V, 2014 CTS V-Sport Premium /04 SLS / 06 STS-V LC3/14 Chevy SS/ 08 Dodge Magnum RT
110 Posts
Thanks for the tip Submariner. I will give them a call.
SoCalESV - your concerns make sense as there are idiots on the road everywhere. I am however not one of them. I have taken a variety of driving classes over the last 20yrs and have owned a variety of high performance vehicles. My most recent class was from the Proformance Racing school. They hold classes at Pacific Raceways outside of Seattle where I live. It was part of the qualifying requirements to race in the Silver State Classic. They also have Sport Driving days at Pacific that I enjoy doing. I have also taken a variety of classes at Dirtfish. I have the stock tires that come on the CT6 V which are Goodyear F1 Super Car Y rated tires. These are rated to 186MPH. Taking a CT6 V up to 150MPH on a track or an open stretch of Montana (when conditions are right) that I drive regularly for work is not like taking an escalade up to 100 mph. The CT6 V is a world class performance sedan that competes with European brands flag ships such as Mercedes S class AMG, S8 Audi, and BMW 7 series. All of which have higher speed governors. It is a drivers car and that is what I bought it for and what I do.
Hello, wow you are a CT6-V owner and a neighbor as I am from the Tacoma area. I also found out there is a Cadillac V-Club in Seattle that I will look into. Maybe I will see you around, what color is your V and do you ever get to Griots Garage in Tacoma for the Cars & Coffee shows?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello fellow CT6 V owner! Wow is right. Not many CT6 V's in this land. Mine is in the Manhattan Noir metallic color. It's almost black with a grey/slight blue tone in sun light. How about yours?
I have not gone to Griots Garage before but sounds interesting.
I joined the V-club Seattle branch a few weeks ago. I'm really not a social media guys and have never been on a forum before but wanted to learn more about my V car. I love how rare they are and their sleeper nature. I've owned 2 other sleeper class cars but this one is definitely in a class of it's own.

·
Registered
2020 CT6-V, 2014 CTS V-Sport Premium /04 SLS / 06 STS-V LC3/14 Chevy SS/ 08 Dodge Magnum RT
110 Posts
Hello fellow CT6 V owner! Wow is right. Not many CT6 V's in this land. Mine is in the Manhattan Noir metallic color. It's almost black with a grey/slight blue tone in sun light. How about yours?
I joined the V-club Seattle branch a few weeks ago. I'm really not a social media guys and have never been on a forum before but wanted to learn more about my V car. I love how rare they are and their sleeper nature. I've owned 2 other sleeper class cars but this one is definitely in a class of it's own.
Yea these are rare cars! Mine is Satin Steel Metallic and its pictured in the what color is your car post from a few weeks ago. Where did you buy yours from? I found mine in Olympia had 31 miles on it. My cousin has a Black 2019 CT6-V with about 5,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
see photo of my CT6-V . I also have a 2014 CTS V-Sport that I like. and I sold a Silver
IMG_7179.JPG
2014 Chevy SS to my oldest son

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The world is small. I'm basically positive I sat in your car at Titus Will Cadillac in August. I drove down to check one out up close. It was the only new one on the west coast at the time so I got lucky. Bet it was yours. I got mine out of Rochelle Illinois. Had it shipped out. The owner of the dealership had been driving it for a awhile before they sold it to me, I do like your color. Sharp looking.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The world is small. I'm basically positive I sat in your car at Titus Will Cadillac in August. I drove down to check one out up close. It was the only new one on the west coast at the time so I got lucky. Bet it was yours. I got mine out of Rochelle Illinois. Had it shipped out. The owner of the dealership had been driving it for a awhile before they sold it to me, I do like your color. Sharp looking.
Yep I bought it from Titus Will and took it for a test drive when it had 31 miles on odometer, and then I found out the master engine builder for my car was Steve Stinson and I am a Steve too. So thought it must be an omen and I am supposed to get that car!

who signed off on your V ? Oh, I also like your color too.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Blackwing, 2014 CTS-V Sport, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1972 Pontiac
465 Posts
I've been begging Trifecta to do a tune for our cars but I I don't see it happening with the low build numbers I asked the dealer about changing the governor if I put higher speed rated tires and they laughed at me. 149 is so disappointing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The speed limiters are set to account for tire limitations. What is the speed rating for the tires you intend to use? What driver training have you had for handling at car at over 150?
No one needs to be endangering the rest if us by being unqualified and having inadequate equipment.
Good answer. Hope he doesn't live around me.

·
Registered
2019 - CT6-V - Black Raven; 2018 - Escalade ESV - Black Raven
108 Posts
That's an interesting topic that a few individuals have brought up beforehand. However I don't think anyone of them have actually taken them to a shop to get it tuned through as they were waiting for more known brands to release a tune instead of just local speed shops.

Biggest concern for the other owners is that tuning it from the factory settings is an instant warranty voider in this case unless you can flash it back to the original tune, would be neat to see though as I know this motor can do a lot more than what is advertised as "stock".

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Blackwing, 2014 CTS-V Sport, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1972 Pontiac
465 Posts
I've checked with several shops and they all said there is no software that has unlocked our cars yet and there probably won't be due to the low production. So it is extremely unlikely anyone will ever be able to tune our cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts