Cadillac Owners Forum banner

181 - 200 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,463 Posts
I honestly hope GM quits wasting their time and money on hybrids or electric cars. There are only two big names in this tiny hybrid/electric car market: Toyota/Lexus and Tesla. And only one of those two are making money on hybrids...Toyota/Lexus.
Hybrids have been in the market place for many, many years and have so far failed to really take off in grand scheme of auto sales. Gas prices are acceptable and gas/diesel vehicle mileage is up and emissions are down. There’s not enough compelling reasons for people to pay the upfront upcharge of a hybrid.

·
Registered
CT6 plug-in, ELR, Tesla Model X, Ford Fusion Energi
643 Posts
I honestly hope GM quits wasting their time and money on hybrids or electric cars. There are only two big names in this tiny hybrid/electric car market: Toyota/Lexus and Tesla.
The top seven plug ins (EV or hybrid) sold in the U.S. are:

Tesla Model 3
Toyota Prius Prime
Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X
Chevrolet Volt
Chevrolet Bolt EV
Honda Clarity PHEV

Why those cars? Because their manufacturers fully embrace, support, and evangelize those cars. None of them feel like half-hearted compliance cars or feeble attempts at getting some greed cred.

While the ELR was a stunning looking vehicle, everyone could tell it was a half-hearted attempt at an upscale Volt. If GM had been smart, the ELR would have come FIRST, and then the Volt would have followed a couple of years later. But GM is not smart.

More proof of the lack of corporate intelligence at GM is the CT6 plug-in. Having learned nothing from the ELR debacle, GM again took their flagship car and made a half-hearted effort to electrify it. But not enough for the CT6 PHEV to even qualify for California's HOV lanes! (Even the BMW 530e which only gets 15 miles of electric range qualifies for the HOV lane!) Had GM instead made the CT6 PHEV its answer to the Tesla Model S; gave it SuperCruise, Panaray, and Magnetic Ride Control; and actually advertised it, Cadillac would have had a winner on its hands. Instead, it made this thing in China which gave it an aura of cheapness, had barely any inventory at dealerships, and didn't even match the EV range of the ELR.

So there you have it - Cadillac (not GM) fails at EVs not because the EV market is difficult, but because it just doesn't learn and makes the same mistakes over and over. Chevrolet is under GM, and has the best plug-in hybrid on the market, and the fourth-best all-electric plug-in.

only one of those two are making money on hybrids...Toyota/Lexus.
Tesla was profitable in Q3 this year, and also in one or two quarters in 2013 and 2016.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
The top seven plug ins (EV or hybrid) sold in the U.S. are:

Tesla Model 3
Toyota Prius Prime
Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X
Chevrolet Volt
Chevrolet Bolt EV
Honda Clarity PHEV

Why those cars? Because their manufacturers fully embrace, support, and evangelize those cars. None of them feel like half-hearted compliance cars or feeble attempts at getting some greed cred.

While the ELR was a stunning looking vehicle, everyone could tell it was a half-hearted attempt at an upscale Volt. If GM had been smart, the ELR would have come FIRST, and then the Volt would have followed a couple of years later. But GM is not smart.

More proof of the lack of corporate intelligence at GM is the CT6 plug-in. Having learned nothing from the ELR debacle, GM again took their flagship car and made a half-hearted effort to electrify it. But not enough for the CT6 PHEV to even qualify for California's HOV lanes! (Even the BMW 530e which only gets 15 miles of electric range qualifies for the HOV lane!) Had GM instead made the CT6 PHEV its answer to the Tesla Model S; gave it SuperCruise, Panaray, and Magnetic Ride Control; and actually advertised it, Cadillac would have had a winner on its hands. Instead, it made this thing in China which gave it an aura of cheapness, had barely any inventory at dealerships, and didn't even match the EV range of the ELR.

So there you have it - Cadillac (not GM) fails at EVs not because the EV market is difficult, but because it just doesn't learn and makes the same mistakes over and over. Chevrolet is under GM, and has the best plug-in hybrid on the market, and the fourth-best all-electric plug-in.

Tesla was profitable in Q3 this year, and also in one or two quarters in 2013 and 2016.
The CT6 PHEV was made in China because it's made FOR China, where people actually buy CT6s.

Just to give you a quick idea... In Jan '18, 2234 CT6s were sold in China, of which 451 were PHEV. There were 628 CT6 total sold in the US for Jan '18.

Latest PHEV sales figures I could find.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Even if Cadillac made a awesome CT6 hybrid, it would still lose money on it. They shouldn’t just throw money away, doesn’t make sense.
It would be like telling Mazda to go all in and start making a limousines . No body wants a Mazda limousine.
Don’t get me wrong, I like hybrids. My wife and I almost bought a Volt. We brought one home from the dealership for an overnight test drive. We loved everything about it until we tried to get a rear facing baby car seat in it. It wouldn’t really fit so we didn’t buy it. Now here we are a few years later and that’s no longer a concern, but we’re not really interested in any hybrid vehicles. And we’re even less interested in all electric vehicles (we have range anxiety). We’d have to have a gas engine hybrid if we were going that direction.

·
Registered
2018 CT6 PHEV (Black) 2016 ELR (Graphite) 2005 Escalade EXT (Black)
9 Posts
Can anybody tell me what these "latches" are/what they do?

Trunk.jpg

On my car, they don't seem to do anything...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,765 Posts
The CT6 PHEV was made in China because it's made FOR China, where people actually buy CT6s.

Just to give you a quick idea... In Jan '18, 2234 CT6s were sold in China, of which 451 were PHEV. There were 628 CT6 total sold in the US for Jan '18.

Latest PHEV sales figures I could find.
I was speaking to the sales manager at my dealership yesterday. He said they did not order any and never sold one. A rival dealership ordered six and still had six on their lot.

·
Registered
CT6 plug-in, ELR, Tesla Model X, Ford Fusion Energi
643 Posts

Of those 628 CT6s sold in the U.S. in January 2018, guess how many were the PHEV variant? 6. Yup, just 6. Cadillac has sold a whopping 209 CT6 PHEVs in 2018, and sold only 207 for the entire 2017 year.

And that's why GM just killed off the PHEV variant.

And GM just killed of the CT6 entirely: http://www.thedrive.com/news/25119/the-cadillac-ct6-is-dead-ct6-v-to-be-offered-as-final-year-model-for-2019

Amazing.

·
Registered
19 XT4 17 CT6E 14 ELR, XTS Vs 13 ATS 2.0 10 SRX 09 CTS 08 STS-V 05 STS 04 CTS, EXT
42 Posts
OK, so I'm one of those 209 for 2018. I'm also the one whose car died, complete loss of power, and whose transmission the dealership changed. So, quick question, does anyone's car have the engine pop on while backing down a hill??? I don't recall this happening before the transmission change but now as I back out of the garage and onto my driveway, which slopes downward around 15 degrees, my engines starts as if to provide me with regenerative breaking. Engine kicks off again as I start to drive forward but it just seems odd and startles me a bit as this start is a little rough (I suspect it's rough because it's trying to sync up while moving in reverse...). Any thoughts???
TKS,
Dickee

·
Registered
2017 CT6 Plug-In; prev. an ‘08 STS & ‘13 XTS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Seasons Greetings and Happy New Year to all!

Wow oh wow, it’s been exactly one year since I started this thread with the lease of my CT6 Plug-In. I can’t believe all the activity and many posts on here. Lots of spirited opinions and debate. Especially for a make and model that sold in such few numbers.

I’m still going back and reading many of the previous posts. But as I mentioned it has been a year since my original post and I am planning to post a series of updates on my experiences and opinions of the car in the year’s time I’ve had it. Yup, still got it. Still driving, commuting back and forth to work. In 12 months, 24K miles on the odometer. Oops, so much for my lease! ��

I’ll be posting over the holiday break before going back to work. Quick highlights: impressive combined gas/electric mileage (averaging about 66mpg), and reliability. Not a lick of trouble or issues over the year. Some low-lights: who designed these front seats? Too narrow and pinching. It has taken me a year to find just the right seat position. No Qi phone charging (a retrofit is in order), and OMG car registration renewal and insurance costs. Details to come...

Best to all for the coming new year!

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
glad to hear it's going well... as i've always said, it's a damn nice car (despite what naysayers think)... we didn't order these but were given 2 sold them quickly...and sold half a dozen more, that we got as ex GM executive cars...and have one left that's lingering .... not because it's a plug-in, but because it's purple.... I have a feeling CT6's story is yet to be completed and suspect all production variants will come from China once the Hamtramck plant is wound down.... looking forward to ordering the V8 blackwing models soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
So... (I know, long break) ... I was all set to write up a series of reviews, post some pics, etc...

And then this happened:
0E44E3E2-13FD-4811-9203-58D01ED3502E.jpeg

48062C15-0362-4DE6-A37D-B35808E13FAD.jpeg

The vehicle powers on and operates though the check engine light is also glowing. The battery has a full charge. I haven’t tried to power on the ICE. But it seems drivable the 7 miles or so I need down the road to the dealer.

Service is scheduled for Friday. Quick posts and feedback on Facebook (!) says this could be a low coolant fluid issue up to a power converter. Either way, the full factory warranty is taking care of this.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 13/14 Escalade Platinum
677 Posts
Probably a coolant issue. Could be low. Maybe code P1FFE - F

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Service is scheduled for Friday. Quick posts and feedback on Facebook (!) says this could be a low coolant fluid issue up to a power converter. Either way, the full factory warranty is taking care of this.

Stay tuned...
Per my dealer, “there was an air bubble in the battery coolant system that found its way to the top which was just enough to cause a slight drop in coolant level. No leak detected.” A bit of a top off and I’m good to go. All covered under warranty (including the XT5 rental for the day) — Nice!! ��

·
Registered
19 XT4 17 CT6E 14 ELR, XTS Vs 13 ATS 2.0 10 SRX 09 CTS 08 STS-V 05 STS 04 CTS, EXT
42 Posts
Got the same Service advisory today. Have an appt on Monday, Feb 18. I hope it's as simple as adding fluid. Had the car for a year now with over 12000 miles. I still love her...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
To do this repair, the service tech needs to remove both the rear seat and the rear shelf in order to top off the coolant. However, be sure to check and test everything once they’re done. Two days out I find my rear window privacy shade no longer goes up and down. Back to the dealer on Monday the holiday. <steaming>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Roger that. They are changing the sensor back there that monitors the fluid level. It stopped working a few days ago so I got the warning about not charging. Part is on its way and I should get her back Friday, weather permitting.

ALSO, they are working the service update, Aux Trans Fluid Pump High Current DTC P0C28 and Aux trans Fluid Pump Motor Phase W Low Current DTC P0B07, Loss of Propulsion...Hmmmm, I know someone with loss of propulsion. ME. The Dickee update...#18199. I got my car back in July of '18 and this Update is dated Sep 19, 2018. Maybe I didn't need a new transmission regardless, I'm glad they found something that may help other CT6E owners. BTW, I wasn't notified of this...

TKS,
Dickee

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
To do this repair, the service tech needs to remove both the rear seat and the rear shelf in order to top off the coolant. However, be sure to check and test everything once they’re done. Two days out I find my rear window privacy shade no longer goes up and down. Back to the dealer on Monday the holiday. <steaming>
Come to find out that when the rear shelf and seat were reinstalled, the service tech haphazardly crimped/pinched a wire to the rear shade causing the shade to not work. Replacement of the wiring harness fixed the problem.

Having said that... it was interesting to read thru the tech’s notes on the workorder. They (the service dept.) knew I was just in there a week ago for the battery fluid issue and they should have/could have remembered ‘oh yea, we had to take the back seat out of this one.’ With the Plug-In’s sales numbers, I’m sure they don’t see too many black Plug-Ins. BUT NO! The work order notes say first they looked at the electrical system, then tested the 12V battery, then inspected the overhead console switch for failure while verifying rear seat switch operation. After a whole bunch of futile and useless steps they finally come to the determination that ‘oh, it must be something in the back with the seat or shelf.’

O.M.G. It took the service dept. a day and a half to figure out this problem. It’s one thing to follow SOP; it’s another thing to use common sense about how to go about fixing things. I already knew where the problem was after discovering the issue to begin with AND knowing how the last repair was performed figured it had to be something in the back. Couldn’t their ‘authorized’ electric service technician?!?!

I’ve been going to this same Cadillac dealership (which will remain nameless... for now) for over 10 years and over three Cadillacs. Generally, the service has been good, on time, and as painless as possible. However, it’s always the little things with them... the TPMS sensors are never matched up with the correct tire. Or, the tires are overinflated beyond their factory specs. Once, a metric socket was left on the floor in the back. ‘Oh, we’ll plug it in for you.’ Nope. ‘We ran it thru the car wash for you.’ Smeared windows. This last service advisor I dealt with was from the Chevy side of the dealership and wasn’t even aware my CT6 WAS a plug-in. ‘You want me to plug it in?!’ he quizzically asked!

But they ALWAYS have the balls to ask me at the end to rate them 5-stars when I get the survey emails from GM. It’s very important to them! We’re not satisfied with anything less than 5-stars. These last couple of trips certainly did NOT earn them 5-stars. However, I know I won’t hear from anyone. That is the state of customer service today. <frustrated>

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
272 Posts
Come to find out that when the rear shelf and seat were reinstalled, the service tech haphazardly crimped/pinched a wire to the rear shade causing the shade to not work. Replacement of the wiring harness fixed the problem.

Having said that... it was interesting to read thru the tech’s notes on the workorder. They (the service dept.) knew I was just in there a week ago for the battery fluid issue and they should have/could have remembered ‘oh yea, we had to take the back seat out of this one.’ With the Plug-In’s sales numbers, I’m sure they don’t see too many black Plug-Ins. BUT NO! The work order notes say first they looked at the electrical system, then tested the 12V battery, then inspected the overhead console switch for failure while verifying rear seat switch operation. After a whole bunch of futile and useless steps they finally come to the determination that ‘oh, it must be something in the back with the seat or shelf.’

O.M.G. It took the service dept. a day and a half to figure out this problem. It’s one thing to follow SOP; it’s another thing to use common sense about how to go about fixing things. I already knew where the problem was after discovering the issue to begin with AND knowing how the last repair was performed figured it had to be something in the back. Couldn’t their ‘authorized’ electric service technician?!?!

I’ve been going to this same Cadillac dealership (which will remain nameless... for now) for over 10 years and over three Cadillacs. Generally, the service has been good, on time, and as painless as possible. However, it’s always the little things with them... the TPMS sensors are never matched up with the correct tire. Or, the tires are overinflated beyond their factory specs. Once, a metric socket was left on the floor in the back. ‘Oh, we’ll plug it in for you.’ Nope. ‘We ran it thru the car wash for you.’ Smeared windows. This last service advisor I dealt with was from the Chevy side of the dealership and wasn’t even aware my CT6 WAS a plug-in. ‘You want me to plug it in?!’ he quizzically asked!

But they ALWAYS have the balls to ask me at the end to rate them 5-stars when I get the survey emails from GM. It’s very important to them! We’re not satisfied with anything less than 5-stars. These last couple of trips certainly did NOT earn them 5-stars. However, I know I won’t hear from anyone. That is the state of customer service today. <frustrated>
The reason they want 5 stars is that if you rate them less then the dealership gets "dinged" from the region for low scores. And low scores means lower on the totem pole in GM speak. So, they ask for 5's because of that. And most times they don't deserve it! Cadillacs IMO serviced by Chevy technicians. And without adequate training to back them up. They make the showroom look good. They make the area you see look good but behind the scenes they are no better than Chevrolet. Don't believe me ask any technician.

Steve

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Service Advisors ask for 5 stars because their pay plan has a component based on survey scores. So if the advisor does everything great, but someone else in the dealership screws up or misses something, the advisor takes the paycheck hit. It’s so competitive, that even 4 out of 5 stars (which is a very good score) can hurt the service advisors paycheck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took my 2017 CT6 Plug In for it's first service visit. It needed the oil serviced, and it had a SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM message. The service person said he had never seen a hybrid come in for service, and he didn't know Cadillac made a CT6 Hybrid. Anyway, they wrote up doing the oil, the transmission fluid pump service bulletin, and the high voltage charging system.

So while they had it, the car went dead. Would not start. They had to manually push it back into service bay. Personally, I'm assuming it was something they caused due to unfamiliarity with hybrids. They wound up replacing the high voltage battery ($7K~$8K part) to get it running again.

There's still a fault code set, which they will try to clear with the assistance of remote technical support.

They've had the car almost 2 weeks now. Thank God it's still under warranty.

181 - 200 of 245 Posts