Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so a nearby dealer is taking custom orders now and I’m hoping to place an order soon. I have my color and options picked, but I can’t decide on RWD or AWD. I live in Chicago and we can get some decent snow so you would think AWD is a no-brainer. But I hear the RWD is much more fun to drive in normal weather which is also important to me.

Does anyone have experience with a similar car that is RWD? My last RWD car was a 98 Crown Vic P71 with NO traction or stability control at all and that was a nightmare in the snow, even with an experienced driver. I’m guessing newer cars are more manageable? I’m trying to weigh the options between fun in the summer and capable in the winter. Thanks in advance for the input!

PS. Drove the AWD V yesterday and it was amazing, even in the rain. Really can’t wait to get this car in a few months lol

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,101 Posts
The RWD comes with summer tires. So you’ll need a set of winter tires. The AWD comes with all-seasons. You may not need to replace them.

I’m in north Jersey and leased 2 RWD CTS VSports and ran Sottozeros in the winter. Had no troubles but our roads are cleared pretty quickly. The winter tires tho work great in the the cold and stay malleable.

I like the idea of the better handling car and having two sets of tires for the different seasons. I think you get the most of the car this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m in similar boat. Typically buy AWD since in NJ. But between the reviews for the RWD being so overwhelmingly positive and the tough winters being fewer, opted for a RWD this time. Going to try what Theroider said and just swap out some winter tires 3-4 months a year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi all, so a nearby dealer is taking custom orders now and I’m hoping to place an order soon. I have my color and options picked, but I can’t decide on RWD or AWD.

PS. Drove the AWD V yesterday and it was amazing, even in the rain. Really can’t wait to get this car in a few months lol
Is this a 2021 order dealer is taking? Did he have any guidance on timing? I had heard 2021 production start was after Labor Day but that was pre covid.

I drove the AWD too and it was a blast!

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a 2021 order dealer is taking? Did he have any guidance on timing? I had heard 2021 production start was after Labor Day but that was pre covid.

I drove the AWD too and it was a blast!
They didn’t specify what model year I’d get if I placed an order now. He did say that any orders placed in June or later most likely will arrive as a 2021. No specific dates or info if anything is changing between model years. They said more info should come out as production ramps back up in the next couple weeks. I’m waiting until then to place my order.

I had to drive 3 hours to Wisconsin to test drive the nearest V. Feels like a completely different car compared to the regular CT5.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
All season tires and AWD are not truly equivalent to a full set of true winter tires. While one would probably get equivalent forward acceleration with both set-ups, AWD does NOT improve braking at all, and doesn't improve lateral grip either, though there might be some improvement in control while sliding. Full winter tires will dramatically improve braking on ice and snow, whether RWD or AWD. If you can't get going, you don't have to worry about stopping, lol. However, once going, stopping is the most critical challenge. Having learned to drive in Syracuse, NY during the winter, and then driving there for the next ten years, stopping on ice and snow was always the most frightening part of winter driving for me. If I lived in a snowy part of the country, I would purchase the RWD and enjoy the superior suspension and grip during the good weather, and take the savings and invest in a set of wheels and winter tires for the winter, and still enjoy the superior suspension. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Winter tires should work fine. I drove a 2000 Z28 year round for eight years in Wisconsin. Used Blizzaks in the winter and never had any problems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For those you run the winter tires on RWD, did you have a 2nd set of wheels? Or can you store just the tires alone in a garage or shed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had an ATS with winter tires in Wisconsin and it handled it really well. I am going to get a CT5 V with RWD and winter tires again.

I had to drive 3 hours to Wisconsin to test drive the nearest V. Feels like a completely different car compared to the regular CT5.
Bergstrom in Madison? I test drove that one myself recently.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an ATS with winter tires in Wisconsin and it handled it really well. I am going to get a CT5 V with RWD and winter tires again.

Bergstrom in Madison? I test drove that one myself recently.

What a small world! Yeah I drove the metallic gray, looked real nice with the gloss black trim. Wasn’t a fan of the alcantara steering wheel feeling but to each their own.

Definitely going RWD and using the difference to get good winter tires. Thanks for the input from everyone.

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
For those you run the winter tires on RWD, did you have a 2nd set of wheels? Or can you store just the tires alone in a garage or shed?
I had a second set of wheels. I originally ordered steelies with snow tires from Tire Rack. Later on I was able to get a set of take-off Camaro SS wheels from SLP. I used the SS wheels with summer tires, and put Blizzaks on the original factory wheels for winter driving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What a small world! Yeah I drove the metallic gray, looked real nice with the gloss black trim. Wasn’t a fan of the alcantara steering wheel feeling but to each their own.

Definitely going RWD and using the difference to get good winter tires. Thanks for the input from everyone.
Yes, the car was way too loaded for my tastes. Plus the salesman was giving me the impression they wanted to sell it for MSRP minus $1000 which made me laugh. Ironically I want the alcantara steering wheel as one of my few options after test driving it.

Keep us informed when you end up buying and the details please!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, the car was way too loaded for my tastes. Plus the salesman was giving me the impression they wanted to sell it for MSRP minus $1000 which made me laugh. Ironically I want the alcantara steering wheel as one of my few options after test driving it.

Keep us informed when you end up buying and the details please!
The problem is there are less than 100 of these cars in the country. So even though the economy is collapsing they figure they have some leverage.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
339 Posts
I run an ATS Premium RWD (FE3 suspension, basically the equivalent to the CT4-V RWD) in nearby West Michigan and I would suggest the AWD. Yeah, the RWD will have a little better steering feel and response, but you will appreciate the much better point and shoot ability on crappy roads and in the wet or snow that AWD brings - especially considering the extra 150 lbs-ft of torque the CT5-V makes! Even on X-Ice 3's, my car (which compared to the CT5-V is probably a little stiffer/less compliant and has less wheelbase, ie stability) in the winter is grumpy on low-grip starts and tries to walk sideways on ice - uphill starts on snow is a lick-and-a-promise affair too. Fresh Pilot Sport 4S's really help, but I always appreciated the AWD loaners I've had that could just deploy torque in whatever conditions on all-season tires.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,770 Posts
With good winter tires, you should be fine with RWD as long as you exercise a little driving caution; traction control and using the proper driver mode setting will help a lot. I currently have a 2014 ATS 3.6 RWD as my daily driver and prior to that I drove a 2008 2nd generation CTS that was also a 3.6 RWD.

Weight balance is very good on these cars unlike most older RWD vehicles that didn't have enough weight on the driving axle. I do have separate tires/wheels for winter and summer. With the ATS for winter I went to the base tire/wheel combination which provides a smaller wheel height with more sidewall height which is preferable for avoiding tire and wheel damage from potholes hidden by the snow.

With really heavy snow, ground clearance and not traction will be the major issue. I was really surprised how well my 2008 CTS did in various snow conditions and the 2014 ATS also does well but for heavy drifting snow I drive my GMC Sierra Denali 4X4 which has the ground clearance needed to deal with the large drifts in rural areas. My Corvette Z06 goes into hibernation usually sometime in November and wakes up in March because even with winter tires it wouldn't be a good winter vehicle. The ultra performance summer tires on it are horrible even in cold dry weather and will crack if driven in below freezing temperature but long before then the tires are dangerous. Judicious use of the throttle avoids problems with 650HP with RWD on slippery tires so that is a choice but you don't always have the choice not to make a sudden stop or steering correction. Regardless of the number of driven wheels you are fully dependent upon tire grip at that point and in my years of commuting 25 miles each way to the office I have seen a lot of vehicles off the road in bad weather and a lot of those were AWD or 4WD, if you go with AWD don't let it give you a false sense of security and cause you to overdrive the conditions.

I am trying to decide what I want for my next daily driver in the next few months. The CT5 V is really tempting but with the Z06 I want something a little more mundane for a daily and I haven't fallen in love with any of the current Cadillac offerings yet.

Rodger

·
Registered
368 Posts
The AWD setup is not a "performance" option from a chassis/handling perspective, even according to Cadillac. Honestly, I'm not sure why they offer it on the "V" model at all since this is the case, and multiple reviewers have noted its performance shortcomings...but maybe for 90% of daily driving situations, its acceptable, and perhaps a reasonable tradeoff if you live in an area with prolonged winter weather.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The AWD setup is not a "performance" option from a chassis/handling perspective, even according to Cadillac. Honestly, I'm not sure why they offer it on the "V" model at all since this is the case, and multiple reviewers have noted its performance shortcomings...but maybe for 90% of daily driving situations, its acceptable, and perhaps a reasonable tradeoff if you live in an area with prolonged winter weather.
I think they have to offer it for competitive purposes. The dealers in the NE won’t even stock a RWD. So most people will take the AWD instead of switching up the tires 2x a year.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand that RWD 'feels' better especially when taking corners in a spirited manner, but is there an actual performance difference between the AWD and RWD CT5V? I haven't read a review that mentioned driving and comparing both side by side. I know the RWD will be slightly lighter, but I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference between the two (except when trying to do a burnout or drift obviously). I would love to test drive a RWD but the nearest one is at least a 4 hour drive from me :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
I understand that RWD 'feels' better especially when taking corners in a spirited manner, but is there an actual performance difference between the AWD and RWD CT5V? I haven't read a review that mentioned driving and comparing both side by side. I know the RWD will be slightly lighter, but I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference between the two (except when trying to do a burnout or drift obviously). I would love to test drive a RWD but the nearest one is at least a 4 hour drive from me :(
Yes, according to several reviews, there's a discernible difference in front end push and dynamic handling, weight, etc...with Cadillac even mentioning in the press event that the AWD setup is specifically NOT a performance enhancement option, but merely for implement weather climates. If nothing else, the AWD gives up the spectacular magnetic ride control (MRC)...that's a huge penalty right off the bat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
this review mentions driving both AWD and RWD back to back. First day on roads, next day on track.

not sure why this quote from that review isn’t in a commercial yet!

“When you think about the cars the CT5-V is directly targeting—S4, M340i, and C43—you conclude that Cadillac's got them all beat, not just on price but also on what really matters in this segment: performance. None of those three Germans drives like this thing.”

1 - 20 of 37 Posts