Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so a non-V CT4 has been spotted out in the wild...

...which to no one's surprise looks a lot like a CT4-V. :rolleyes: Some other commonalities with the ATS have already been noted, so I thought, "Hey, what if you added one more..."

Now of course with the light strip broken by body color and the DRL/black plastic dropping lower, this starts to look more like the lighting style on the CT5...but to me that's an improvement. To my eye, the single long DRL is one of the visual elements that helps to make the front of the car look too upright and tall. When it's broken up, the front doesn't look quite so 'heavy'. As it is now, the lighting on the CT4 is probably the least controversial design element, but maybe they could have done better. I guess they wanted more visual distinction between the 2 new models...

Maybe the CT5's more dramatic styling would have been a better match for the longer lighting element?...but that would have been too much Ciel, and not enough Escala...wrong influence, even if it was attractive...lol.

We'll see what happens if these cars make it to their scheduled MCEs...

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
232 Posts
Your re-deisgn looks pretty good. I hate to say this but this CT4 is pretty dated, looks like the ATS succeeded the CT4, instead of the other way around. I know it isn't the V model or the Sport trim, but it looks very bland without the details that were present in the CT4-V. This is more of a refresh than a brand new direction that JDN was leading towards, its a shame that GM stepped away from that vision to rush this to production. They shouldn't make the standard model look worse than the V just because its not the higher end option, it isn't really fair to their customer base. If they plan to compete with Audi, Merc, and BMW they have a long way to go releasing this as their competition.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is more of a refresh than a brand new direction that JDN was leading towards, its a shame that GM stepped away from that vision to rush this to production. They shouldn't make the standard model look worse than the V just because its not the higher end option, it isn't really fair to their customer base. If they plan to compete with Audi, Merc, and BMW they have a long way to go releasing this as their competition.
I concur - CT4's styling does nothing to get my blood pumping, and even the -V was pretty meh. The super-V is going to need all sorts of visual tricks to make the appearance match the performance. It could be a coincidence, but considering Johan's involvement, the CT4 has an A4 blandness about it...understated almost to the point of boring. Don't get me wrong - the CT4 isn't 'ugly', but it's unfortunate that a Cadillac model's gotta-have-it factor could be driven almost exclusively by it's high-level powertrain(s) and performance numbers. In my mind, a design isn't successful if it needs vents, spoilers, the biggest wheels, and a powerful engine to make me take a second (and admiring) look. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when the first design sketches were presented...

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,116 Posts
The CT4 is just a quick update to the ATS. If that gets it out sooner, then that is good, for all those who like their ATS and
are ready to upgrade it.

CT4 appears to be basically an ATS with new front/rear ends, different engines, 10 speed trans and a new dashboard/CUE layout,
assuming it will be like the dash in the CT5 with buttons.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
240 Posts
The picture is pretty bad, bad angle and the lens distortion makes the front look massive. Hoping the front end looks as tidy as the ATS's does, I'm always surprised how compact it is when parked next to competitors (Jag XE front end is TALL and MASSIVE!)

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
232 Posts
I concur - CT4's styling does nothing to get my blood pumping, and even the -V was pretty meh. The super-V is going to need all sorts of visual tricks to make the appearance match the performance. It could be a coincidence, but considering Johan's involvement, the CT4 has an A4 blandness about it...understated almost to the point of boring. Don't get me wrong - the CT4 isn't 'ugly', but it's unfortunate that a Cadillac model's gotta-have-it factor could be driven almost exclusively by it's high-level powertrain(s) and performance numbers. In my mind, a design isn't successful if it needs vents, spoilers, the biggest wheels, and a powerful engine to make me take a second (and admiring) look. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when the first design sketches were presented...
Thats very true, the non functional aesthetic vents are getting more and more ridiculous. Spoilers are being slapped on to every vehicle now, and probably don't decrease drag at the speeds we normally drive at. I get why they used the Alpha Platform, it was made to be a universal architecture and they probably improved the Chassis even more. I just don't understand why they aren't addressing the interior dimension isssues and why they couldn't drastically change the contouring of this vehicle. This was supposed to be more than just a refreshed ATS.

The CT4 is just a quick update to the ATS. If that gets it out sooner, then that is good, for all those who like their ATS and
are ready to upgrade it.

CT4 appears to be basically an ATS with new front/rear ends, different engines, 10 speed trans and a new dashboard/CUE layout,
assuming it will be like the dash in the CT5 with buttons.
This sums it up pretty well, the part that is really disappointing are for guys who waited to see what this new iteration was going to be like and then are left having to opt out. All of the internals could have been implemented under the ATS/CTS flagship and earlier as well. The worst part is the new CT6 are still haviing issues with CUE, this isn't a good sign for early CT4 adopters.

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
673 Posts
This sums it up pretty well, the part that is really disappointing are for guys who waited to see what this new iteration was going to be like and then are left having to opt out. All of the internals could have been implemented under the ATS/CTS flagship and earlier as well. The worst part is the new CT6 are still haviing issues with CUE, this isn't a good sign for early CT4 adopters.
Exactly. I dipped my toe into the Cadillac brand with the ATS after a couple decades of new BMW's. I instantly fell in love with the handling and interior/exterior styling. Then, I develop transmission problems that have no solution so I look to what will be next.

I like the CT6, but, any but the latest model year have transmission problems and even the latest model year has infotainment and other problems.

So I look to the CT4 or CT5 as a replacement. Pictures of both models come out and I hate the design, big time.

It was a whirlwind romance. I fell in love at first sight and everything was perfect. Then I find some pretty annoying baggage, deal breakers in fact. So I had to kick her to the curb. Still, there are those nights where I pour a drink or three and look at pictures and lament what was.

A new one always helps me get over the last one quicker, thank goodness :)

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
232 Posts
Exactly. I dipped my toe into the Cadillac brand with the ATS after a couple decades of new BMW's. I instantly fell in love with the handling and interior/exterior styling. Then, I develop transmission problems that have no solution so I look to what will be next.

I like the CT6, but, any but the latest model year have transmission problems and even the latest model year has infotainment and other problems.

So I look to the CT4 or CT5 as a replacement. Pictures of both models come out and I hate the design, big time.

It was a whirlwind romance. I fell in love at first sight and everything was perfect. Then I find some pretty annoying baggage, deal breakers in fact. So I had to kick her to the curb. Still, there are those nights where I pour a drink or three and look at pictures and lament what was.

A new one always helps me get over the last one quicker, thank goodness :)
Ya, I noticed its showing you have a Merc now.How do you like that car as a replacement? I really love the styling of these vehicles but as far as maintenance and warranty coverage, its always been keeping me at bay. As well as the depreciation value is a bit ridiculous, but that makes its a steal to buy used so long as the future repairs are properly taken account for. I think a lot of people are going to be waiting for the imminent re design for the CT5 and CT4, I might give it another chance.

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
673 Posts
Ya, I noticed its showing you have a Merc now.How do you like that car as a replacement? I really love the styling of these vehicles but as far as maintenance and warranty coverage, its always been keeping me at bay. As well as the depreciation value is a bit ridiculous, but that makes its a steal to buy used so long as the future repairs are properly taken account for. I think a lot of people are going to be waiting for the imminent re design for the CT5 and CT4, I might give it another chance.
The C300 is such a different animal than the ATS, some aspects of it I like better but the ATS has it beat for pure driving fun. The ATS is exhilarating to drive and eager to be pushed, the C300 is a mature, sedate, composed ride (at least in Luxury trim). The ATS feels light and tossable, the C300 feels heavy and vault-like (even though they are about the same weight). Mercedes Command infotainment is slow and cumbersome (maps on Mercedes navigation look straight out of the 90's - screen graphics in general look dated on all screens), the 255hp Turbo 4 is silky smooth and delivers when called upon but somehow not as eager as even my 205hp NA 2.5ltr ATS engine, 7 speed tranny is flawless and intuitive so far and always picks the right gear at the right time, NVH is nil contributing to the vault-like insulation of the cabin and the interior is a classy, well laid out space. Bottom line: I do like the C300 but for different reasons.

As far as styling o_0

I feel older and richer in the Mercedes, I felt edgier and younger in the Cadillac :)

I agree about Mercedes depreciation, warranty and maintenance cost concerns. To minimize depreciation I bought CPO. After much shopping I found a 2 1/2 year old C300 Luxury 29k for $23,800 (MSRP $49,980). It came with 2 years of comprehensive warranty, I extended that for 2 additional years for $1,750 for a total of 4 years of bumper to bumper coverage with unlimited mileage and no deductible. Mercedes CPO comes with 2 years of included maintenance. I probably wont keep it beyond the 4 year warranty period and that will leave me on the hook for just 2 years of maintenance and no liability for any repairs so it shouldn't be too costly to keep for 4 years.

I'm under no illusion that one manufacturer is necessarily vastly better than another or that one brand's cars are markedly better than another with regards to mechanical/electrical design errors or reliability. All auto manufacturers and their dealerships have their screw ups and it's often just the luck of the draw. If I would have liked the designs of the new Cadillacs I would have had no problem dropping 60 large on one, despite my transmission problem with my ATS.

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
232 Posts
The C300 is such a different animal than the ATS, some aspects of it I like better but the ATS has it beat for pure driving fun. The ATS is exhilarating to drive and eager to be pushed, the C300 is a mature, sedate, composed ride (at least in Luxury trim). The ATS feels light and tossable, the C300 feels heavy and vault-like (even though they are about the same weight). Mercedes Command infotainment is slow and cumbersome (maps on Mercedes navigation look straight out of the 90's - screen graphics in general look dated on all screens), the 255hp Turbo 4 is silky smooth and delivers when called upon but somehow not as eager as even my 205hp NA 2.5ltr ATS engine, 7 speed tranny is flawless and intuitive so far and always picks the right gear at the right time, NVH is nil contributing to the vault-like insulation of the cabin and the interior is a classy, well laid out space. Bottom line: I do like the C300 but for different reasons.

As far as styling o_0

I feel older and richer in the Mercedes, I felt edgier and younger in the Cadillac :)

I agree about Mercedes depreciation, warranty and maintenance cost concerns. To minimize depreciation I bought CPO. After much shopping I found a 2 1/2 year old C300 Luxury 29k for $23,800 (MSRP $49,980). It came with 2 years of comprehensive warranty, I extended that for 2 additional years for $1,750 for a total of 4 years of bumper to bumper coverage with unlimited mileage and no deductible. Mercedes CPO comes with 2 years of included maintenance. I probably wont keep it beyond the 4 year warranty period and that will leave me on the hook for just 2 years of maintenance and no liability for any repairs so it shouldn't be too costly to keep for 4 years.

I'm under no illusion that one manufacturer is necessarily vastly better than another or that one brand's cars are markedly better than another with regards to mechanical/electrical design errors or reliability. All auto manufacturers and their dealerships have their screw ups and it's often just the luck of the draw. If I would have liked the designs of the new Cadillacs I would have had no problem dropping 60 large on one, despite my transmission problem with my ATS.
Thanks for the write up, really good comparison, and I completely get where your coming from. I would have loved to trade my ATS in for the CT4 if it wasn't such a disappointment. I'm looking at keeping the ATS as nice looking point A to B car, and keep my eyes open for some good deals like the one you got. Extended warranty on a vehicle like that, for the price you got it is a steal. Good job negotiating, pretty sure replacing a window regulator would cost as much.

By the time your ready to trade it in, they might release an new XLR.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
584 Posts
I'll wait until I see a Blackwing version completely unmasked. I think there will be several bodywork differences between the Blackwing version and the CT4-V. For example, the spy photos are showing flared front fenders on the Blackwing version - not the V-series.

I never liked the styling of the plain ATS but the ATS-V was so improved in every way that I suddenly loved the styling!

·
Registered
17 XT5 / 08 CTS
322 Posts
It's just plain boring. Nothing to it. When the previous generation cars look sportier than the new you know GM has problems. Nobody is going to buy this car, I never even see ATS's around my city. The only Cadillac's I see are XT5's and the odd Escalade. And the Escalade use to be seen all over but the current generation is seen much less often. Time to switch brands after 25 years of vertical tail lights.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's just plain boring. Nothing to it. When the previous generation cars look sportier than the new you know GM has problems. Nobody is going to buy this car, I never even see ATS's around my city.
I know what you mean...it's not 'ugly' but some of it is awkward, and it lacks any edginess or sex-appeal that will make your neighbors sit up and take notice, or turn heads in traffic. It looks to be a very 'adequate' and 'competent' car, except those are descriptors that command Chevy or Buick money. There's hope for the V cars, but they will need to exceed ALL expectations in almost every quantifiable category, so that buyers can look past the ho-hum/awkward styling and still-tight back seat. With the so'called 'tweener pricing strategy, I think the CT4/5 would have traditionally slotted in nicely as RWD Buicks (or Pontiacs)!

Maybe the styling looks better in the flesh, but the CT4's future doesn't look bright. The A4 gets away with similarly bland styling 'because Audi'...the Cadillac brand has no such pull in the luxury market. Knowing now that the Alpha platform itself is on borrowed time, I won't be surprised if the CT4/5 are cancelled early and go without an MCE. With platform-mate Camaro set to expire after 2023 and the nextgen model 'delayed' (i.e. future unknown), they might not make it past 2023-24. The MCE funds can be diverted into development on the new, shared RWD car platform. Lansing was operating at 33% capacity as recently as last winter, so if CT4/5 volumes don't greatly exceed A/CTS and Camaro stays flat, I'm sure the bean counters will be pressing to close it, or at least retool. In any case, I pray that GM will continue to have a personal-sized, overpowered, and RWD-based sedan - that you can see out of - as part of their product portfolio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts