Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post up that I got my CS shifter installed today with the help of my girlfriend. I had installed Brian's modified stock shifter and it was a good improvement over stock. However, this shifter is amazing. What a huge difference this has made. In combination with my Philistine master cylinder there has been a drastic improvement in the shifting process. I'm trying hard to wipe the smile off my face as I drive it now.....incredible.

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I'm just waiting for the clutch to get tired of playing so I can change it. I'm assuming it's a stock one at this point. Once the trans comes out I'm replacing the bushing on top of the trans with the brass one. I plan on beefing up the shifter linkage with some ideas already used by other members and a few ideas of my own. At that time I would think all shifting issues would be put to bed once and for all.

·
Vendor
04 CTSV
50 Posts
Amazing isn't it? Going from a worn factory shifter to one of ours is truly amazing. Day and night difference. How long did the install take you
and the "Mrs."

We just had a customer in the shop, while I was under his car I could see that something looked odd about his shifter.
I used a screwdriver to push up on the bottom of the shifter. There was over a 1/4" of vertical movement....WOW!
I told him to start thinking about a new one....before it falls out of the floor. He said that the shifter had all ways felt a bit "loose". Hmmmm?

Glad to hear the shifter is "working out"

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About an hours' worth of work. I had already swapped the stock shifter before so I knew what I needed to do already. And please.....careful with the "Mrs" comments....she doesn't need ANY encouragement in that department!!! I don't need yet another ex Mrs 07cadv.....lol

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac cts-v
1 Posts
I own a 2005 Cadillac CTS V, and the shifter will son times not down shift into 2nd (GRIND), what causes this? Will a new shifter take care of this?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I own a 2005 Cadillac CTS V, and the shifter will son times not down shift into 2nd (GRIND), what causes this? Will a new shifter take care of this?
The first thing to check is the quantity and quality of the hydraulic clutch fluid. (The GM trouble shooting chart for all transmission shifting issues starts with the clutch fluid.) Here is a shortcut to a full flush & bleed that works well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIgzLmPe-eA

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V
34 Posts
I bought my '04 V with 119,000 miles and after changing the transmission fluid with Mobil 1 transfluid, and driving about 1,000 miles, the shifting into 1st issue many people talk about disappeared for me. shifting in general got better and smoother all around. I too have a CS shifter, sitting in the box, I haven't gotten to installing it yet. Someone commented before on what the trans oil would look like after 120k miles? Well it looks like 6,000 mile used engine oil and smells like burned engine oil. A sample of the trans oil is dark brown to black and has tiny particles in it (no surprise with no internal filter on a manual trans).

I expect the same sort of difference as with my old Mustang's T-5 change from a stock shifter to a solid bushing short throw shifter. I'm planning to do the shifter with a C7 flywheel and clutch change some time in the next 6 months. That and a build of an 8.8 Ford rear.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V
34 Posts
I mistyped that, yes LS7 not C7 flywheel and its about a lighter flywheel to do away with the dual mass flywheel. A lighter rotating mass will spin up faster and get more power to the ground faster.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
122 Posts
I replaced the stock one with the Hurst one Brian modifies for a Camaro. It's much tighter but I have issues with it I'm not thrilled about. So I'm trying the CS shifter. Jordan sent me a nice explanation of how it is setup and answered my questions. I'll be happy to post back on install, setup, and feel. Probably about a week or so from now.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I replaced the stock one with the Hurst one Brian modifies for a Camaro. It's much tighter but I have issues with it I'm not thrilled about. So I'm trying the CS shifter. Jordan sent me a nice explanation of how it is setup and answered my questions. I'll be happy to post back on install, setup, and feel. Probably about a week or so from now.

What issues are you having with the Hurst setup? (I have one sitting in a box, but since I have had no issues with my UCC I've been in no real hurry to install it.)

·
Registered
2006 CTS
122 Posts
What issues are you having with the Hurst setup? (I have one sitting in a box, but since I have had no issues with my UCC I've been in no real hurry to install it.)
There is still a fair amount of slop. I did add the poly bushings and the brass one under the shifter.

The biggest issues are;
- The bolts that hold the shifter in place come loose easily. You better use loctite. I would suggest you just toss them and get slightly thicker ones with nylock nuts.
- The short throw with the short shifter stalk looks nice but requires too much effort. You would be better off using the extension piece. It won't look as good but will give you more leverage.
- It almost feels like you are forcing the trans into gear. That is before rebuild and after. So it's not the trans.
- The shifter gets hot very quickly and grabbing the Hurst ball means you hit the shifter with the edge of your finger. IT won't feel so great on warmer days. On my Z06 I used a long delrin shifter handle. That helped. I'd do the same on the Hurst if I kept it.

That aside it is better than stock without a doubt.

The UUC has adjustable height and leverage. And accepts any shifter ball/head. So I want to try it out.
I'll post an update once I get the part and drive with it a bit. So maybe a week or so from now.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
991 Posts
My Hurst was farily short with the 6" handle on it so I put a 7" handle on it and am very happy with how it shifts and it fits well, not goofy long or anything. Its shifts every bit as good as my speedloader.

As far as the slop in the shifter goes, I think pisnuoff/o7cts-v is including a revised bushing with all new orders and retroactively supplying them for those who need it. More info on LS1tech.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts