Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been curious about the cruise control in my '90 Seville. I had a long drive back when I initially bought it, so I decided to see if it worked. I noticed the switch was already set to on, so I tried holding it to accel (I think that's what it is), and holding the button on the end of the switch/blinkers, and eventually the "cruise control engaged" light popped on. The light came on, but it never kicked in regardless of what I did.
Now, the light will randomly kick on, even when the switch is set to off. Still, it does nothing.

So what could be causing the system to falsely recognize the on/off signal, but not engage the cruise control module itself?

Also, is there any way to make the blinker switch tighter; less loose? The left-side when pushed feels great. It's responsive, and feels right. The right side is loose, and will randomly turn off after barely turning the wheel. I guess this is more of a restoration I want to take on, because I want to take more pride in this car moving forward.

Any info is really appreciated, I don't have much experience dealing with these things, so I'm hoping it's a doable project for a DIY person with some time and patience.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,721 Posts
Cruise senses brake pedal arm operation. Maybe there is one or two switches at the top of the pedal arm as in some later Cadillac models.

As soon as you touch the brake pedal Cruse drops out, so maybe the switch(es) are set too "tight"?

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cruise senses brake pedal arm operation. Maybe there is one or two switches at the top of the pedal arm as in some later Cadillac models.

As soon as you touch the brake pedal Cruse drops out, so maybe the switch(es) are set too "tight"?
I'll look into this soon, thank you for that suggestion. I noticed there were a couple free-hanging connections near the brake and gas pedal, so maybe something got messed up down there. The cruise control doesn't seem to work even when it says engaged, however, so would the actual cruise control component be a possible culprit?

·
Administrator
67,721 Posts
Check out the switches and wiring connectors first. No sense just throwing parts at it to see if something sticks.

Subscribe the car to a multi-year at www.alldatadiy.com - the online GM/Cadillac service manuals. Everything you will ever need is in there, including system descriptions, trouble codes, and diagnostic trees. Trust us - you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I came here to browse possible cruise control problems and found this. I bought a 1990 Seville too, in very good original condition. Seller told, that cruise worked in August and next time when he tried it in November it didn't. My case is slightly different, because no light appears on dash. Where you can see that Cruise light? User Manual don't tell it.

My turn/light/cruise switch is also very loose, but it works with lights without any problem. I wonder may this loose switch cause, that no Cruise engage signal goes to Cruise unit at all.

I will next check switches on break pedal arm, if it may cause this too - even break lights are not lit? How sensitive these switched could be? Would they switch off Cruise before break light appears?

·
Administrator
67,721 Posts
Normally, the brake lights turn on and Cruise drops out at the same instant, very little pedal movement - electrical operation. With added brake pedal depression the brakes begin to operate - hydraulic operation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Normally, the brake lights turn on and Cruise drops out at the same
This is what I thought and for this reason I didn't went floor under dash, just checked break lights from a wall ;) So maybe my problem is somewhere else. Next suspect is this loose turn/light/cruise switch. Does anyone have a diagram about wires at Cruise unit to check, which wire is live and which is dead?

·
Registered
9 Posts
After all checking a strange thing. Point was on brake pedal. Just a slight lift with shoe and cruise started to work. To engage brake light, pedal has to be pushed much more. Almost no touch, like a tap from gas pedal shoe to side of brake pedal and it stops. Then minor click up with another shoe and cruise works normally.

I don't know how it's possible, but the most important point is, that Cruise works now.

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After all checking a strange thing. Point was on brake pedal. Just a slight lift with shoe and cruise started to work. To engage brake light, pedal has to be pushed much more. Almost no touch, like a tap from gas pedal shoe to side of brake pedal and it stops. Then minor click up with another shoe and cruise works normally.

I don't know how it's possible, but the most important point is, that Cruise works now.
So it works, but your brake pedal is loose? I wouldn't be surprised if I have a similar issue, yours sounds slightly similar to mine except my light comes on a lot. I still need to check this, haven't had much time lately. Is cruise control fully functional aside from being easy to deactivate?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts