Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS Luxury III (no longer owned)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I traded for my DTS about 2 hours away from here. I made sure on the test drive to check out the cruise control, and it worked fine.

However, on the way home I had some problems. The first problem I started having was the Resume function not working properly. There were times I would hit the Resume button on the steering wheel, and it just wouldn't work. When that would happen, I couldn't get it to Set again either. Only after pushing the buttons several times and turning the cruise control switch on and off could I get it to work again. This scenario happened at least three times.

The next problem I had was with the cruise control just stopping for no reason. I didn't touch the brake or hit the cancel button on the steering wheel. When this happened the first time I was on the phone and thought I may have inadvertently tapped the brake, but I'm 100% sure the next two times it happened I didn't do anything. The light on the actual cruise control would remain on, but the little icon on the instrument panel would turn off.

I called the dealer I purchased the car from and told him about these problems. He told me that it could be just because the cruise control was rarely used by the previous owner, and if I kept working with it, the problems might just go away on their own. That sounded like BS to me, so I told him I would keep working with it through the weekend (this was on a Tuesday).

Now, I wasn't willing to take another hundred mile trip to extensively use the cruise control. However, there is a route I can take to and from work which is a highway (I usually take a secondary road that covers almost the entire 8 miles) which has about 4 miles where I can use cruise. So on Wednesday I took this route to and from the office. I had the same problems with the Resume and Set functions that I was having the day before, but it never disabled itself - probably just because it wasn't a long enough stretch.

On Thursday, I did the same thing. No problems. On my lunch break I actually went out onto another highway for a 14 mile round trip. No problems again. Resume worked perfectly every time and I could always change the Set speed as well after interrupting it.

On Friday and Saturday, cruise worked fine again. Didn't test it on Sunday, but this (Monday) morning all was still well.

Does this make sense to you? A few of my friends and family I talked to agreed with my suspicion that the notion of these problems disappearing on their own was BS. However, as it stands now, it seems like that's exactly what has happened. What do you think?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
rebel7254 said:
I called the dealer I purchased the car from and told him about these problems. He told me that it could be just because the cruise control was rarely used by the previous owner, and if I kept working with it, the problems might just go away on their own.
Complete BS.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
366 Posts
Posted by rebel7254
I called the dealer I purchased the car from and told him about these problems. He told me that it could be just because the cruise control was rarely used by the previous owner, and if I kept working with it, the problems might just go away on their own

It seems suspicious to me as I have not come across such a claim. I assume the car is, at least, under 90-day warranty. I would recommend taking the Caddy back to the dealer and have it checked out. There could be a problem with the ECM or other circuits.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies.

I didn't buy the car from an actual Cadillac/GM dealership. It was an independent dealership that deals primarily in Cadillacs. However, he did say he would be willing to pitch in to help me cover the costs of fixing the cruise control as a courtesy. I do take him at his word, as I have communicated with another guy locally who has traded with this dealer twice.

So I suppose the consensus among the respondents so far is that I should definitely have a diagnostic test to check it out. I guess that would be the safest thing, even though there's a risk that I'll get charged for the test and they'll find nothing wrong. It's just so odd that the cruise control has worked flawlessly since last Thursday after having all the problems on Tuesday and Wednesday.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
This may sound stupid... but check your BRAKE LIGHTS and all of your turn signals.
Also check for proper clearance on the brake light SWITCH under the dash...where it makes contact with the brake pedal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That doesn't sound stupid at all, Superjim. Your second suggestion could be the kicker. If the switch is too close to the pedal, then that could actually be the cause of all these problems.

Do you know what the proper clearance between the switch and the pedal should be?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
That doesn't sound stupid at all, Superjim. Your second suggestion could be the kicker. If the switch is too close to the pedal, then that could actually be the cause of all these problems.

Do you know what the proper clearance between the switch and the pedal should be?
Actually it TOUCHES the pedal... when you touch the brake, the pedal moves AWAY from the switch, breaking the circuit to the cruise.
If it is just a hair too far from the brake pedal, just hitting a bump, could cause the brake pedal to move enough to break the circuit and the cruise will quit working.
If/when it messes up again, reach down UNDER the brake pedal and pull it UP with your toe and then see if the cruise will work.
If it does, the switch is out of adjustment.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2007 DTS LUX II 75k - Once owned 1998 Deville & 2002 Deville
241 Posts
I had this to happen to me in February on my drive home to South Carolina after purchasing my DTS in Florida. The first thing I checked was my brake pedal by pressing it down some and letting my foot slip off the side to let it spring up. But after trying many things I press down my emergency brake and let it come back up and the cruise control has been working ever since.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fiddled with depressing the brake heavily and lightly yesterday for the 4 miles of highway on my way to work. The resume picked back up just fine every time. I haven't been able to duplicate my problems since last Wednesday.

If I don't have any problems with it before the next oil change, I probably will get somebody to check the brake light switch to see if it needs to be adjusted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts