Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1998 ESC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I own a 1998 Cadillac Eldorado ESC. When I bought the car over a year ago, the cruise control was not functioning. I have dealt with it so far but am looking to fix it. However, there are a lot of things that it could be and am wondering if there is anywhere I should start. Aside from the cruise control, everything else works completely fine. All fuses are also good. Is there any common problems is this generation of the Eldorado in which I could start? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
First thing I'd check is the brake switches on the top of the pedal. I forget which one controls the CC, but I think it is the brake light switch. If that is adjusted properly, then pull the DTC's.
You might also check the connections on the control module under the hood.

·
Registered
2013 CTS Luxury, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl
567 Posts
My 98 Eldo went from working intermittently to not at all too.
It ended up being the control module itself.
I bought it used from a junkyard or ebay after doing all the checks Ranger suggested above.
It's a square black unit mounted on the top of the drivers side strut tower and has a cable that connects to the throttle body. I had no way of diagnosing it since there were no codes other than swapping it out which isn't difficult to do. You just have to unhook the cable from the throttle body, unplug the connector, and unbolt it.

I'm electrical/electronics trained and took apart the old one.
It just has what looks like a processor chip, electronic parts, and a motor to move the cable. I couldn't find anything obvious like a bad solder connection or anything broken part. It just stopped working.
The new one came with a throttle cable which pops off easily from the unit so I saved the old one and tossed the rest.
Good luck and let us know if that solves it for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts