70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 STS 133k.

replaced
both ball joints
both front hubs
outer tie rods
endlinks for front stabalizer bar

My front end creeks when pulling forward or backward from a stop. And also if you push down on the front quarter panels to rock the front end of the car, it makes the exact same noise. But when it's wet, it won't make the noise? With the wet clue, what is this?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
Might be the intermediate steering shaft. Drive slowly on a level road and operate the brakes to cause the front end to dip and rise. Low pitch creak or groan ?? Sort of like down under your right foot ?? Many posts on replacement with the improved GM shaft. Use the search tab up in the blue bar.

............or sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Mine does the same when going over speed bumps. At first I thought it was the strut, but it turns out it's the sway bar bushings. Got my tech to put some grease on them last time I had the car in for service and they haven't been nearly as noisy ever since.

·
Registered
99 STS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anybody have any input on this. About a month ago I had the car up on a lift and had the bushings and ball joints greased and they sprayed ever link and connection on the whole steering and suspension system, at least what you can get to from underneath, with wd-40. It lasted that time about 5 days and went back to the same creeking. It's even more now. It used to take a couple days after driving in rain for the creeking to come back but now it's the next day. It's when going forward or backward, and from any jerking with the acceleration up to around 20 or 25, also speedbumps or any big bumps at low speeds make make the creeking noise

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
It's either sway bar bushings, sway bar connector links, or the intermediate steering shaft (which cannot be fixed with a WD-40 spray).

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
WD-40 is some useful stuff, but remember that it stands for, "Water displacement formula forty". Nothing quite like it for wet points in the days before electronic ignition, but it's not a particularly good lubricant, especially when exposed to the elements--essentially useless in a suspension system where things are either permanently lubricated (until they fail) or use good old grease that WD-40 will merely try to "clean" away.

·
Registered
1998 Crimson STS now sold/ 2008 cts 1SB Black Raven 3.6DI
31 Posts
I would bet that its front control arm bushings. Mine are shot too, every movement creates a creek. I believe they were briefly avalable by a company called Energy Suspension but they no longer carry them. All the part stores that list them (on line) under that manufacturer all full of BS. They tell you they are out of stock, however when I phoned the manufacturer directly they told me there is no such product. Everywhere I search it keeps leading me to needing an entire control arm. Frustrating, I went the the wrecker the other day and picked up a used one (entire arm). I'm a bit nervous because the bushing ends look pretty weathered, but the guy at the counter insists the bushing is good. Haven't had a chance to get it put on yet though. I would still like to go the new bushing route. Does anybody have a source for these things?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts