Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the last 2 weeks or so, I've replaced all the aforementioned parts in my 05 V. The mounts have not made the car significantly quieter on shut down but have seemed to tighten up the motor in the bay a bit. The reason I say this, is the car shook bad when I bought it due to blown motor mounts, which was indeed true since I replaced the passenger side mount myself (Sears did the driver side for me) and saw how bad the passenger side mount was. Just did the transmission mount tonight and did not notice much of a reduction in vibration when shutting the car off like I thought I would with new mounts. Is this just normal for these cars?? What it did do, in combination with the shifter kit, was make the clutch feel better and not as "clunky" when shifting gears, whether at slow speeds or at highway speeds. Very nice on that end!
Lastly, the Creative-Steel short shifter kit is amazing!! My shifts are now 50% or so less than before, and unlike what other people are saying about loudness, I feel the shifter is actually quieter than the "notchy" clunk of the terrible factory shifter. However, the short shifter (possibly in combination with the taller Creative Steel transmision mount) made shifting into 5th and 6th MUCH more difficult (6th being the hardest). Basically, I have to use A LOT more muscle than I did before, but it doesn't feel like it's going to grind or wear the synchros, it's just stiff as all hell. Has anyone experience this with their short shifter kits?
BTW, if Max sees this thread, thank you for your help! I would like to add, that the shifter installation had a few extra steps vs the standard short shifters out there (like the grease fitting that gets in the way but can be left on, and the factory rubber boot that doesn't really work all that well with the shifter, so maybe some detailed instructions with photos would have been nice!
Regardless, the combination of mounts and shifter have given my V a much sportier feel and even quieted the clunking down between gears, very happy customer!
If anyone has any experience with the questions I rose about the vibration on shut down or tightness of shifting with aftermarket shifters, please chime in! Thanks in advance.:)

P.S. I also attached images of my V which shows my plast-dipped front upper and lower grill and carbon fiber V badges, which I did with some extra carbon vinyl and an X-acto blade.

Attachments

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add, I plasti-dipped the wheel as well with 4 coats of black, 2 coats of gunmetal grey metallizer and 2 coats of glossifier.

·
Vendor
04 CTSV
50 Posts
The car looks great! Nice touch on the wheels, looks amazing!

As for the shaking on turn off, I would suspect it to be the clutch assembly/flywheel not knowing your particular vehicle. The Dual Mass Flywheel is prone to eventually busting the springs. This seems to cause a lot of vibes on shut down.

For the shifter, I would look under the car and see if you are touching anything underneath the car. If it is smooth through 1-4 than I don't suspect any linkage bushings.

Call if you have any further questions, and we can figure this out.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Maggied
271 Posts
My car still makes the "diesel" noise on shut down with the CS engine mounts and trans mount. Like CS tech said. I suspect it's the clutch as that is the last stock piece i have. The mounts did get rid of all my motor movement though and didn't add any additional idle or part throttle vibrations which is a nice thing.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car looks great! Nice touch on the wheels, looks amazing!

As for the shaking on turn off, I would suspect it to be the clutch assembly/flywheel not knowing your particular vehicle. The Dual Mass Flywheel is prone to eventually busting the springs. This seems to cause a lot of vibes on shut down.

For the shifter, I would look under the car and see if you are touching anything underneath the car. If it is smooth through 1-4 than I don't suspect any linkage bushings.

Call if you have any further questions, and we can figure this out.
Jordan, thanks for the quick response!
It appears that according to many members here, new motor and transmission mounts don't eliminate the vibration/shake on shutdown as that is the heavy dual mass flywheel spinning down, so I suppose a lightened flywheel and clutch kit will be in order eventually!
As for the shifter, I will have to get under the car again on my next day off and check to see if the shifter is contacting anything, but honestly I looked over everything before reinstalling the driveshaft and exhaust and it looked okay.
To note, all gears engage smoothly, there's just a lot of resistance in the shift itself like I'm working against some rubber bushing; the shifter just has extra resistance in general.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts