Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be my feedback day.

Installed the creative steel driveshaft coupler. Very very easy install and excellent instructions and service from Max.

Couple of notes, if you're running B&B or any other 3" exhaust you'll need to drop the mid section or find a way to move it out of the way somehow to get to the ds carrier housing bolts. You shouldn't need to if you're running 2.5" exhaust. Otherwise install was under 30 mins on a hoist.

Feedback, nothing negative to report. No strange vibrations. Feels a bit more responsive and rigid under the gas pedal especially when you're taking off. Blaming that on the zero flex in the DS now. At least at the front.

There was little wrong with my old coupler (the true mod hell experience when you start replacing perfectly working parts:)). The CS one is visibly beefier.

Overall recommended for the price.

Anyone want a stock coupler? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V 6MT (Sold), 2007 CTS-V (Sold)
1,409 Posts
No pics? FAIL!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know if he's selling them officially. I was the second prototype I believe. Hopefully he'll chime in. Sorry, forgot pics. It's a very stout piece compared to the stocker.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not really much on the clunk. Most of mine is coming from the diff anyway.

·
Vendor
04 Black CTS-V
400 Posts
Hey everybody, I've got a whole lot of chiming in to do on multiple threads, thought I'd get started right here.

Thanks ICH for finally getting that coupler installed, very glad to hear it's working out, sounds like you had the exact same experience that I had when I replaced mine several mounts ago. Like you said "the car has much better acceleration with the new coupler".
I've kind of been dragging my feet on the advertisement that these couplers are ready for purchase, just wanted to get a few more miles on mine and get some feedback from the "tester folks".
In ways we started the "testing" of these couplers off on the wrong foot. At first we started to build these couplers to replace the OEM couplers out there that were falling apart because GM won't sell just the coupler by its self, only as part of the drive line assembly. $750. So we sent the first couplers to a V owner with a bad coupler for testing. Three couplers of a previous version to Ichpens and my current version and two just like the one Ichpen and I have now. All five couplers were destroyed by this tester persons car. Come to find out, the tester car had a bent drive line which is what killed the original OEM coupler in the first place.(Sarcastic.... sure am glad I could help a guy figure out that his drive line is bent by sending him four free couplers, he paid for the first one).
What we learned is that a new coupler won't fix the problem that killed the original. Kinda like new tires won't fix a car that is out of alignment. What we also learned during the prototype process is how soft and spongy the OEM coupler is, and how much it has to "wind-up" before the car starts to move. While we were testing our different prototype versions we noticed how much nicer the car took off from a stop. It felt like we put a better clutch in the car. Nothing harsh feeling though, just more responsive.
Now that we know our new coupler won't fix a bent drive line, we're selling them as a "performance part" to those with a straight drive line that want their cars to be a bit snappier under acceleration. Besides "Performance Part" sounds a lot sexier than "Replacement Part".
Someone asked how much they cost. They are $200. I don't have any pictures of them on this computer but if you do a search here on the forum there is another thread that has a picture of an orange one next to an OEM coupler.

Thanks again Ich for getting that baby installed and starting this thread.

Peace everybody, have a good evening. Max

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
I already have two stockers in good shape but I think I'll have to order one from you around the end of March as a "performance upgrade". Funds are tight right now tallying up parts for my blower install, but I have been waiting on these to come out for awhile.

·
Vendor
04 Black CTS-V
400 Posts
I already have two stockers in good shape but I think I'll have to order one from you around the end of March as a "performance upgrade". Funds are tight right now tallying up parts for my blower install, but I have been waiting on these to come out for awhile.
Blower install ?? :worship::worship: No sweat man, I'll put your name on one.

·
Registered
none
626 Posts
Any chance of a GP, or deal for members who already bought your engine/trans/diff mounts?

Any additional V products in the works, such as rear toe rod bushings, trailing arm bushings, rear shock bushings, cradle bushings?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got to give props to max . Not only for supplying instructions for a simple coupler that were more detailed than those of my last clutch kit but for following up on progress. This is probably a no brainer upgrade. install time less than 30 mins provided you don' have a b&b exhaust :)

I'm definitely down for some control arm bushings if you make some.

·
Registered
None
447 Posts
I'm one of the other prototype guys for this coupler and my results are similar. No huge changes but it does feel a little firmer, like ichpen I still have parade clunck but I also have a stock clutch/fw and typical diff slack. I think it may have slightly less clunk when quickly releasing the clutch since the rubber band effect isn't there, and yes it does seem to have a tighter feel to the acceleration. My original also was not too bad so it's not like night and day but if you are suffering from a worn out oem piece (and your driveshaft isn't bent) then I'd recommend it. I had my shop slap it in there when doing my tires so no install feedback.

·
Registered
06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)
967 Posts
i didnt believe it at first a big step to getting rid of clunk is a flywheel upgrade just got my monster stage 2 i have a tiny bit of play but i think my carrier bushing is on its way out once again -__-

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hmmm, you dont have a slightly flexable option? I dont feel like puttin too much more pressure on the diff especially when the over powering the car...

·
Vendor
04 Black CTS-V
400 Posts
Hmmm, you dont have a slightly flexable option? I dont feel like puttin too much more pressure on the diff especially when the over powering the car...
I'm working on another "softer" version, just waiting for the urethane to come in. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V SC
410 Posts
Just installed a new Gen 4 diff and the CS Coupler. My parade clunk was starting up again and the diff was leaking badly so I thought I’d do both at the same time. The coupler install was pretty straight forward. I did have to clean out the three of the bushings with a wire brush and drill. On my car the coupler to tranny bolts where slightly larger than the driver shaft coupler bolts.

I’ve replaced about everything there is to replace in the driveline now. Shifter, motor mounts, LS7 clutch, flywheel, coupler, axles, diff and all the diff bushings. Car feels solid on take off again like when the clutch was new. No noticeable clunk.

The stock coupler wasn’t torn, but it was very flexible. I could see how it could wind up. That’s what was probably making the clutch feel like it was engaging in different places.
Very happy so far. Only thing left is the drive shaft itself now.

·
Registered
2004 Maggied CTS-V
140 Posts
I too just installed mine, and love it, acceleration from a stop feels much more firm, not so sloppy. Great piece, easy to install around my magnaflow exhaust setup, very pleased with the coupler.

Thanks again Max

·
Registered
2005 Raven Black CTS-V
979 Posts
Did this coupler cease production?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V --- the RED one :)
281 Posts
No clue, but if you are looking for a replacement any of the couplers from the Gen 5 Camaro will work (new one). That includes the prothane 6 shooter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts