Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS-V/12 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a gray diff bushing let go on the car over the winter. I gave max a call and told him what had happened. Not only did he send me a stronger replacement he also sent a new poly block that fits in the sub frame on top of the diff.

I'm still testing it out, but it feels very solid so far. Hoping for a few good days later on this week i will have a better feel for it! This is designed to help keep the stock Diffs planted so there is less drive-line movement!

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
785 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I love that bushing removal tool that CS made. Being able to easily swap the bushing with the diff still in the car saves a lot of work.

·
Vendor
04 Black CTS-V
400 Posts
Tityrous, Looks like you got that diff block in there ok, how was the install? The reason I ask is that you are the first person to get one and I've been wondering about how uniform the sub-frames are on our cars. I was unable to fit the block to my car before shipping it to you but it fit my extra sub-frame just fine. Also, did you need to "press" the diff housing up into the block to get the bolt through the bushing or did the bolt go through easy. Ultimately, I'd like to see a bit of "preload" on the block, indicating that it is pushing down on the diff just a touch so that the diff bushing is not the only thing supporting the front of the diff under acceleration. These blocks were figured out mainly for the " repeated hard launch guys" that really punish their diff bushings on a regular basis.

Glad to see the pictures too, thanks for the post. Max

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Block went in pretty good and tight. Mounting the diff back in place i had to jack it back in there so there is some "preload" on the diff. I should have measured it... So far I am very happy with the block and new mount firms up the rear a lot! I have been very hard on the car this winter. I will definitely be testing this new mount out in the next few days! The car is sideways at least 40% of the time i drive it.

Thanks Max for another great Product!

Keith

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,332 Posts
Ultimately, I'd like to see a bit of "preload" on the block, indicating that it is pushing down on the diff just a touch so that the diff bushing is not the only thing supporting the front of the diff under acceleration.
So where does that block go? Is that a replacement for an existing part, or is that just an additional hunk being added in to help tighten things up?

The car is sideways at least 40% of the time i drive it.
Is something broken?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an extra block of poly. I don't know if you can see it better in that pic?

Nothing wrong with my car I just have not been easy on it the past few months! Plus I get a lot of snow.

·
Vendor
04 Black CTS-V
400 Posts
So where does that block go? Is that a replacement for an existing part, or is that just an additional hunk being added in to help tighten things up?

The "Diff Block" is a block of urethane that has been molded to fit up in the cavity of the subframe that's above where the front diff bushing mounts. Most of you guys have spent enough time under your car, have you noticed the large air space above the round part of the diff housing that the diff bushing presses into? Well, the "Diff Block" fills that space, supporting the front of the diff from above. Now when the car launches, the diff bushing and the Diff Block work together to hold the rear diff in position, maintaining the correct pinion angle. There is a LOT of force put on the poor diff bushing during a burn out, this was a simple way take some of the load off of the bushing while better supporting the diff.

·
Registered
17 xt5 & Blk 05 cts-v
2,470 Posts
are you going to do a video like what you did for the motor mounts for this install?

·
Vendor
04 Black CTS-V
400 Posts
What's the Durometer Level of the Diff Blocks??
The Durometer is a 70A, you can get just a bit of compression of the block with your bare hand. It fits in the subframe very snuggly, once the block is up in there it is captured by all sides, filling the cavity, which means the material can't just compress/squish out of the way by the upward load of the diff under acceleration. It's a no-brainer way to give the diff bushing some help.

·
Vendor
04 Black CTS-V
400 Posts
are you going to do a video like what you did for the motor mounts for this install?
Sure will, probably just a quick one in the shop using our extra cradle. It really is the easiest install in the world. Just drop the diff as if you were going to replace the diff bushing, shove the block up into the cavity above the diff bushing, lift the diff back into place, install bolts. No tools required for the diff block itself.
For $30...It's another no-brainer if you are already there doing the bushing.

Peace, Max

I'll post up some close-up pictures of the block so you guys can see exactly what's going on here

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Interesting!

I guess I'd drop my diff for the one hundred and first time for that poly block. Thanks Max for continuing to work on our V's to make them better!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts