Almost-7-year thread bump!
I did the CS 8.8" install back in October '15, and have put about 40k miles on the setup. I've had some issues in that time, but nothing that I would attribute to CS's design. I used an aluminum housing, and the first shop that I gave it to to rebuild (with a new TrueTrac differential and Ford Racing 3.73 gears) did a piss-poor job it. As a result, after only a couple/few thousand miles it had to come back out (pinion bearing was already shot) and be rebuilt. I'm not sure the 2nd shop did a great job, either, as I've had gear whine pretty much from the start. (2nd rebuild used a fresh set of Ford 3.73 gears.) Also had a CV boot tear on one of the DSS conversion axles, and the experience dealing with DSS was a bit of a mess.
Anyway, I was bumping the thread just to share my recent experience. My car was down for most of 2019 with a cam issue that I took forever to fix. When I got the car back on the road and tuned, I quickly noticed I was getting a very pronounced clunk from the rear end if I wasn't very, very gentle with clutch pick-up. I've had the bushings on the snout of the 8.8" go bad once before, so I figured that's what it was.
Two weekends ago I put the car up on a lift and took a look. Turned out I was wrong - the bushings hadn't gone bad.
Nope, the bushings hadn't gone bad - the passenger side ones had gone completely missing!
Driver side still looked good, so that's nice.
Not surprisingly, I don't keep replacement 8.8" snout bushings in my glove box, so I had to come up with something. I was doing this at the auto hobby shop on base, and generally at the hobby shop there's a bin somewhere of spare nuts 'n' bolts. First big bolt I saw was the right thread pitch - huzzah!
That still left me with no bushings, so I grabbed some big nuts and washers and just went solid for the time being.
Fixed! :lol: I contacted Max & Kristie to order some replacement bushings and hardware. Kristie suggested I also do the differential block, so I ordered one of those, too, and CS modified it to fit my aluminum housing. [I had bought one a while back, but never got around to modifying it for the aluminum housing, so I ended up selling it to someone else.] Got the parts Thursday and went back to the auto hobby shop on base to fix things yesterday.
The temporary "solid bushing" fix had not lasted long at all - the bolt had already unthreaded itself. It couldn't fall out completely because of the exhaust nearly right below, so all the parts were still there:
Took me a bit to get the differential block in there. I was fighting to try to slide it in from the passenger side, since the bushing was already gone on that side. After trying that unsuccessfully a few times, I figured out that if I removed the driver side mount bushing, then loosened the horizontal bolt that holds the adapter bracket in place, I could rotate the adapter bracket up and provide a bigger opening on the driver side to slide the diff block in from that side. Pretty easy once I had that revelation.
Got the diff block in:
[I also discovered that horizontal bolt was a little loose, enough that I could jiggle the forward adapter/mount bracket a bit. When I put things back together I made sure to gronk that down nice and tight.]
And then the new bushings in:
The existing driver side bushing looked fine, so I re-used that, and kept the 2nd new bushing (and new bolt) as a spare.
Amazing what a difference fixing this made. The whole car seemed to ride smoother on the way home. I'll have to check the bolts again to make sure they don't loosen up like the temporary "solid bushing" fix did.