Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Cotillion White Brougham
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the dash pad was off, I found where the factory Security System light would go. I re-routed the LED for my alarm up through the dash and into the socket where the normal bulb would go. It wasn't very bright so I went to Radio Shack and picked up the brightest LED they had. The bulb is red and the lense for the Security System thing is amber.

So the light fit and blinks okay but it's not bright enough to really light everything evening. It lights VERY bright right in the center, where it's taped into place, but it's uneven and you can really see the "center" of the LED. It broadcasts a ring, instead of a diffused light.

I can either wire a few LEDs in series, in a cluster, and mount them inside, hoping that it's bright enough to evenly distribute the light across the panel...or I can wire an actual bulb.

But wouldn't running an actual bulb (if there's even enough voltage on that little wire) drain the battery much more quickly (in comparison)? I rarely let it sit more than a couple days between drives so I don't think it'd be that big a deal.

What I'm aiming for is, instead of a dimly flashing red, obviously jimmied up light, is the amber, evenly lit factory look.

Do they have clear LEDs? I found yellow, blue, red, green...but no clear.

So what do you think about using just a normal bulb in place of the LED?

Oh, and my gas guage is so dim! The bulb is fine but it's just dark and dreary. I wanna spice it up! (What I'd REALLY want is a back lit display, where the hash marks, E and F are lit from behind, glowing beautifully...but that's not doable at this point.) Suggestions?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
You can use a piece of opaque plastic to diffuse the light from the LED but you'll lose some of the light in the plastic.

·
Registered
03 STS, 96 ETC, had an 87 Brougham, 91 Brougham, 88 Brougham
50 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the Security System light draining your battery unless you let the car sit for a week or more without being taken out on the road to charge it up. You should be fine if it's a daily driven car. I'd press on with the bulb to give it that factory look. I wish my cars had it.

·
Registered
1989 Cotillion White Brougham
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tally ho! I shall indeed press on. I'll swing by Autozone on my way home to see if they have the bulb/assembly. It's apparently just one unit, not a bulb AND socket. I'll need to do some creative wiring. =P

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Look for a local Hamfest there is often a LOT of LED's for sale with the vendors that come to them.

·
Registered
'94, '93 & '76 FWBs. '77 '79 & '73 CDVs, '65 Drop, '62 CDV
414 Posts
Hi crmfrac,

How did you get your dash ad off? Mine has huge cracks runnign along it and I want to replace it or refinish it in some way.

Also, how did you disable your air bag?

regards
& thanks
Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts