Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 DTS, 74k. This noise has also been talked about in the service records for a long time.

Low speed braking like coming to a stop, there's what sounds like a rotational noise almost if the brakes we grinding a little but it's not a metallic noise. It actually sounds like rubber or plastic creaking, like the same type of creak you have with a bad strut bushing. That kind of sounds but pulses with the speed f the car, like its related to the run-out on a rotor.

I only hear it I'll say under 10 MPH give or take and wheel steering angle does not seem to have an affect.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
Get outta town, find a quiet rural road, and perform several aggressive complete stops from 55 mph. Do not hold the brakes at each stop - drive away immediately and do it again. After the last stop, drive for at least 2 miles to cool it all off. Noise gone - or at least significantly reduced?

If so, it was due to pad deposits built up on one or more rotors. Common, and usually diagnosed as "warped rotor(s)".

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get outta town, find a quiet rural road, and perform several aggressive complete stops from 55 mph. Do not hold the brakes at each stop - drive away immediately and do it again. After the last stop, drive for at least 2 miles to cool it all off. Noise gone - or at least significantly reduced?

If so, it was due to pad deposits built up on one or more rotors. Common, and usually diagnosed as "warped rotor(s)".
Hey Sub, hows it going?
interesting, in one of the diagnostics I see the tech wrote, cleaned pads and rotors, customer satisfied. Sounds like a break in procedure we do with the EBC stuff but I'll try it.
Is there an official way to clean them or is this pretty much routine? I have to say in all my years, I've never had this happen before.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thing that concerns me a bit it the car was hit on that corner at about 12k miles and starting at about 15k miles there are at least 5 - 7 work orders all the way up to almost 40k where it says, customer states scrubbing noise when applying brakes at low speed.
In many cases they replaced the rotors, in other cases they say no problems found.
This is all at Cardinal Cadillac in KY

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
457 Posts
Maybe make a video of the sound and post it on Youtube?

The only "plastic" things I can think of are the lower splash shields and wheel well covers.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sub, Performed this procedure and it doens't seem to have changed anything

Maybe make a video of the sound and post it on Youtube?
The only "plastic" things I can think of are the lower splash shields and wheel well covers.
I'll see if I can do that this weekend. It's been very crappy weather here and I haven't really had the time to go somewhere that I'm able to do this safely. Imagine a rubber thing maybe binding or rubbing on something and put that with the rotation of the wheels in a pulsating way, like if you had a warped rotor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts