Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the new bushings installed about 2 months ago. Approximately 1 month later I started to experience a "creaking" sound from the rear end. (it sounds like you are walking on old creaky wood stairs). I took the car back to the dealer who greased the new bushings. The noise went away for about 2 days and came back. I went to the dealer again today and the service department informed me that "I asked for the new bushings and they are making the noise.... We can grease them again for you but the noise will return....There is nothing we can do".
The noise is annoying and fairly pronounced. Has anybody had a similar problem with the bushings and/or any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
YUP, I have it too. In fact I was going to post this tonight. I usually have the radio up so didn't notice it at all. But while sitting in stop and go traffic I heard the "creaking". You described it perfectly. It's like someone walking on creaky stairs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I replied to a previous post that I did not have any squeaks or creaks after installation, but lo and behold, a month or so later creak, creak, creak... :(

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
urbanski said:
lol, i wondered what that was :D
old creaky wood stairs
The V's trunk is very spacious but I'm fairly certain it's not a two story. :lildevil:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Same here, after the bushing install, started getting creaks & rattles, took the car in,told them to spray the bushings with silicone spray & torque the bushings. the rattle was a rear shock, but the creaks came back after a week:annoyed:
Do the guys with the spector stuff have the same issues?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have the Specter's and no creak with them...I did soak them with silicone spray and the stock cradle mounting locations. You fellas may need to add some torque, or some teflon grease.
Also, please consider the fact that its not the bushings. I recently had the left rear knuckle replaced due to a creaky bushing in my trailing arm mount. Since then, no noises. Finally, I have a creakless/bangless/clunkless V, aside from torque reversal. I hope this lasts a little while.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've also got the creaks. Took about a month after the install here too. Had it in to the dealer but all they did was tighten a loose tie rod and I think it creaks more now.

·
Alexandria, Va
1,213 Posts
It's definately coming from the plastic bushing inserts inside the factory rubber mounts.

We did my car first and I developed it after a short period of time. We tried a anti-seize type lubricant on my bushings that eliminated the noise. We've been using the same lubricant on all the ones that we've installed so far and to this point we haven't heard any creaking complaints...

If there is anyone out there that we installed the bushings for that have the "creaks", please let me know...

James

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Lindsay Cadillac said:
anti-seize type lubricant on my bushings
Brand?
Name?

I'd like to duplicate your fix. I have a tube of anti-seize but I think you mean something else. Please let me know.

·
Alexandria, Va
1,213 Posts
CVP33 said:
Brand?
Name?

I'd like to duplicate your fix. I have a tube of anti-seize but I think you mean something else. Please let me know.
I'll have to let you know tomorrow... I'll post once I have the info...

James

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Thank you James for clearing up the problem. I've noticed it like two days ago, and thought it was coming from inside, well more hoped. I knew it was the new bushings! Daaammmitt:banghead:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Lindsay Cadillac said:
I'll have to let you know tomorrow... I'll post once I have the info...

James
James, I need your phone number. Can you PM it to me. I'm having the bushings put in this week and I want the dealer to have a reference and someone to talk to if need be.

Thanks,
Lance

·
Alexandria, Va
1,213 Posts
ahahnu said:
Thank you James for clearing up the problem. I've noticed it like two days ago, and thought it was coming from inside, well more hoped. I knew it was the new bushings! Daaammmitt:banghead:
Not a problem... Glad to help out any way I can...

I couldn't believe it was the bushings either at first... The noise was so loud, it almost sounded like it was coming from under the driver seat or right behind it... Quick test drive with one of our techs confirmed it was coming from the exact area of the bushings...

James

·
Registered
294 Posts
Fabulous. I'm having them put in tomorrow. After you post what it was you put on there tomorrow, I'll be calling the dealer right away.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Crazy, I just noticed my creaking this morning. Yes, please let us know what it was that you used, I'll see if my dealership will fix it for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Installed the Spectre bushings a few months ago and noticed the creaking noise sometime afterwards. Since it kept getting worse, took the car to the dealer to see if they could find the problem. About that time GM came out with their own bushings and the dealer installed them - although neither of us thought that the bushings were the source of the noise. Since then, no creaking noise at all.

·
Alexandria, Va
1,213 Posts
We have been using Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant Item #80078. It's messy but it seems to do the trick. The graphite that's in the lubricant seems to be immune to "washing" out. We had tried a couple of other lubes prior to using this and it would wash out after I drove the car in the rain.

If you have already had the bushings installed it's a fairly simple process to add the lubricant. The rear cradle does not have to be dropped again. There is enough room, if you take out both rear or both front bolts, to add the lube to the bushings. We just put a good coat on the plastic bushings and popped them back down in the rubber mounts when doing my car...

James

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks again for the info. I just put a call into my dealer, who is installing the bushings as I type. I hope they have some of this stuff on hand.

·
Alexandria, Va
1,213 Posts
ylwjacket said:
Thanks again for the info. I just put a call into my dealer, who is installing the bushings as I type. I hope they have some of this stuff on hand.
I'm sure they'll have it... We use that stuff for about a hundred different things...

James

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
ylwjacket