Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.0 TT CT6 Premium Luxury
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a creaking sound from the roof or sunroof of my CT6 when driving, and it seems to be more noticeable in hotter temperatures. My car is still under warranty, so I'll probably bring it to the dealer at some point, but I was just wondering if this is a common issue with the CT6 and if anybody has dealt with (and solved) it before.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,296 Posts
My first home remedy would be to try and clean and lube all the rubber closure parts with a silicon grease. Perhaps some debris has worked into the closures. I try to stay away from the dealer unless I suspect an actual mechanical problem.

·
Registered
2018 CT6 3.0TT Stellar Black
2 Posts
I had similar noises, after a few days of investigating myself to turned to my dealer. There were several retainers broke, I got a new housing part and trim clips. Super quiet now!!!

·
Registered
2016 3.0 TT CT6 Platinum
55 Posts
Mine sounds like a wooden block bouncing around when the sunroof is closed... sound disappears when it's opened. Dealer can not duplicate sound. :mad:

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
96 Posts
I've noticed a creaking sound from the roof or sunroof of my CT6 when driving, and it seems to be more noticeable in hotter temperatures. My car is still under warranty, so I'll probably bring it to the dealer at some point, but I was just wondering if this is a common issue with the CT6 and if anybody has dealt with (and solved) it before.
My 2016 CT6 had that same problem. Dealer service assessed that there was "metal-to-metal contact". The dealer replaced the entire sunroof assembly. No problems after that.

My 2019 CT6 has not had that problem so far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All right, I have an appointment scheduled for 9:00 AM this coming Saturday. Hopefully it won't turn into an all-day event and they'll be able to fix it quickly. It does seem to be worse when the temperatures are hot outside, and this afternoon (90 degrees outside) I took it just a few blocks to the grocery store and it creaked the entire way there and back.

If this were my previous car (a 14-year-old Chrysler 300C), I probably wouldn't care that much about a noise like this and would just turn up the stereo and ignore it. But this is supposed to be a luxury car and it's still under warranty, so I shouldn't have to put up with even minor annoyances if I don't have to. I just need to remind myself of that fact every once and awhile...

·
Registered
2017 CT6 Luxury, 2019 GMC AWD Terrain Denali
337 Posts
I have a little bit of a rattle coming from the roof over the passenger seat when the roof is closed. If I press on the pad between the front and read glass, the noise disappears... for a while. It is only heard when I'm traveling over some rough portions of roadway, which unfortunately in Minnesota, is a lot of roadways.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2016 CT6 had that same problem. Dealer service assessed that there was "metal-to-metal contact". The dealer replaced the entire sunroof assembly. No problems after that.
Well, let's hope my visit is as successful and it doesn't take all day to resolve. How long did it take them to replace the entire sunroof assembly for you?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All right, just got back from the dealer. Took an hour for them to confirm that the problem existed. The said they were aware of service bulletins dealing with the issue and were pretty sure they knew what the problem was, but it would involve removing and perhaps replacing the entire sunroof assembly (as FredK mentioned) due to a bad rivet. Unfortunately, this wasn't something they thought could be done in less than a day and they didn't have any loaner cars available, so I've rescheduled a time in a week or so where I can drop the car off and take home a loaner car.

As an aside, when I drove the 7-8 miles to the dealership in the morning, the temps were only in the 70s and I didn't hear a thing. When I left, however, the temps were in the mid 80s and it was creaking like crazy. Could just be a coincidence, but I really think it has to do with the heat (especially since I got the car in April when the weather was cooler and it didn't start creaking until we started getting temps in the 80s and 90s around here).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts