Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS V-Sport Premium, 1983 Mercedes 300SD (project car), 1997 Jeep XJ
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 V-Sport has about 40k on the clock of really hard driving. Track driving and lots of short distance hops. I just used this CRC Intake Valve and Turbo cleaner on my Infiniti J30 that was have an intermittent crank/no-start and wonky idle issues. It worked like a charm! Car drives beautifully now.

I'm wondering if the product might be helpful on the Caddy. Thing is, the car is running just fine. It would be more for potential gains. At the same time, I tend to live by the motto "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

What do you guys think? Is it worth spraying a can of this stuff in the intake in the event there's some carbon deposits building up?

·
Registered
2016 V Sport
139 Posts
i did mine about a year ago, at 25,000 miles.

after reading up on intake valve deposits, I also installed a oil catch can.

Ken

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did mine about a year ago, at 25,000 miles.

after reading up on intake valve deposits, I also installed a oil catch can.

Ken
Any noticeable benefits?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
2,058 Posts
I do both my caddy's once a year. Noticeable difference

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do both my caddy's once a year. Noticeable difference
Just ordered some more on Amazon. I'll give her a spray! Think I'll do so for all the cars. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
2,058 Posts
Please let us know how it works out and the ease of the task.
Make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY. Do not cut corners or you may brick the engine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
273 Posts
Some of the early Electronic throttle systems had a minor issue with build up right at the throttle plate. As carbon and residue built up, the electronic throttle would start to have problems getting to its commanded position due to grunge around the opening around the throttle plate. On some cars this cause a "hunting issue" for rpm. Simple fix, just spray a LITTLE carburetor cleaner or WD40 or whatever on a clean rag, force the throttle plate open with one hand, and clean the opening where the throttle plate moves around. One of my cars actually had a ridge of grunge just inside the throttle plate all the way around. It comes off easy. At least for these cars.....your good to go for a year or two. I do not know that the Vsport has this issue or not. I have a 2014 that I bought in 2017 and I have never had an issue that guided me towards checking for this. But if I do get any of these type of symptoms, it'll be the first thing that I check before diving into any other troubleshooting. Just a thought, and I think that I just talked myself into taking a look at mine for the heck of it just to see if there is any worrisome looking build up.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport Premium
120 Posts
Some of the early Electronic throttle systems had a minor issue with build up right at the throttle plate. As carbon and residue built up, the electronic throttle would start to have problems getting to its commanded position due to grunge around the opening around the throttle plate. On some cars this cause a "hunting issue" for rpm. Simple fix, just spray a LITTLE carburetor cleaner or WD40 or whatever on a clean rag, force the throttle plate open with one hand, and clean the opening where the throttle plate moves around. One of my cars actually had a ridge of grunge just inside the throttle plate all the way around. It comes off easy. At least for these cars.....your good to go for a year or two. I do not know that the Vsport has this issue or not. I have a 2014 that I bought in 2017 and I have never had an issue that guided me towards checking for this. But if I do get any of these type of symptoms, it'll be the first thing that I check before diving into any other troubleshooting. Just a thought, and I think that I just talked myself into taking a look at mine for the heck of it just to see if there is any worrisome looking build up.
Generally good advice for most cars.
I would caution against "forcing" the throttle plate open as many cars these days use plastic parts that can be broken or deformed causing even bigger problems. You're best to try someone actuating the throttle pedal to get the plate to move. (WHILE THE ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING, OF COURSE)
This method will not work on a vehicle that has an electronic throttle body and you may need to have the ignition in the "ON" position AGAIN, WITHOUT the engine running. I've never done this so I'm not sure if the plate will move when the engine isn't actually running.
Unfortunately, the VSport's throttle body is buried under the turbo intercooler and requires a great deal of work to get to... plus possible replacement of some expensive gaskets.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the spray item you bought called? Have a link to the product? Thanks.
It's called CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner. It worked incredibly well on the Infiniti and was a breeze to use. That car has a physical throttle linkage though so it was a one man + flathead screwdriver job. On the Caddy I'll need someone to hold down the pedal for me (instructions call for it to be sprayed in the intake past the MAF with the engine at a steady 2000 rpm then give her 10 min of highway driving).

I think that in addition to cleaning the valves/turbo this clean the throttle body and intake system generally. I decided to do this before throttle body cleaner on the Infiniti and the throttle bodies were sparkling clean after just the intake valve cleaner. It was suggested by someone in response to a shop wanting $250 to mist some sh*t into the intake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts