Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing only makes noise when the hood is fully latched like normal. Sounds like there's a small docket in the dash that gets triggered when hitting a sharp bump such as a manhole.

Unlatch the hood and drive around with the hood being held down by the safety latch and no rattle. Can't drive around like this soooo.

1. Adjusted the large hood bumpers at all 4 corners.

2. Adjusted the small hood height bumper brackets near the windshield.

3. Shimmed the chrome at the rear of the hood with cardboard

4. Removed the dash pad coz it seriously sounds like the rattle is roght there but opening the hood stops the rattle. Tightened all kindsa screws inside the dash.

5. Sound seems like the rattle is on the passenger side so I removed the pass side kick panel and used a rubber mallet to tap the hvac box and so forth. Nada.

6. Put the antenna up a bit, rattle stays the same

7. Used a heavy rubber mallet to tap the underside of the car and lots of stuff in the motor compartment -- cannot duplicate the rattle

8. Wrapped the hood latch pin (on the hood) with a little duct tape thinking it is rattling in the keeper only when fully latched. Nope.

9. Adjusted the hood latch downward a bit. Rattle still exists

10. Wrapped the hood springs to isolate them from possibly rattling against the hinges. Rattle still occurs.

I'm kinda at wits end. Not sure what else to check?

Again, hood released and driving against safety latch, no rattle while hitting sharp bumps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does your hood flex some when you hit bumps? Mine does and it may be that the hood skin is rattling against the hood frame. It could be a side to side movement or a loose/worn hinge, hood safety release lever, under hood insulation moving up and down or grille. On my 96, I adjusted the hood latch down a little to help keep it from moving so much but it still makes a little noise. I hate not knowing where a squeak, rattle or knock comes from. You may have to resort to using a Go Pro to try and capture it to get a better idea of where it is coming from. Back when I got my 2007 Mustang, people were complaining about this knocking noise that sounded like someone was hitting the bottom of the car with a 2x4 when they hit bumps. Come to find out the stabilizer links were not tight enough and they were moving creating the noise. Not saying this is your issue as you seem to have tracked it down to the hood, but always keep an open mind.

·
Registered
Cadillac
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the thoughtful reply. Yes, you touched on a key thing! Keeping an open mind is important!

The sound is so distinct and it truly sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the dash. However opening the hood and causing the rattle to stop, that was a mind-numbing moment for sure!

I really appreciate your input. The Hood skin versus the skeleton is something that I have not explored enough yet. The hood has the liner on it and I have not tapped it with a mallet yet to see if there might be a busted weld or something.

Will report back for sure!

·
Registered
Cadillac
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you grease the rubber bump stops for the hood?
Yeap. Most everything under the hood has been "Fluid Filmed" and the bump stops were given extra love just in case.

Toward the above, I've moved the stops up or down on different occasions to the point that it is misaligned and the rattle still occurs only when the hood is fully latched.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Be gentle with the hood as I believe the outer skin is pretty thin. The material they use between the skin and frame could have fallen out or if the hood was ever damaged and reskinned, they may not have put the padding back in.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
675 Posts
I really thought those rear bumpers would fix it. I wonder if some kind of thin rubber could be glued to the hood where those rear bumpers meet to see if it quiets down.

·
Registered
Cadillac
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really thought those rear bumpers would fix it. I wonder if some kind of thin rubber could be glued to the hood where those rear bumpers meet to see if it quiets down.
It's definitely not bumper related. I've adjusted all six up or down and the rattle is still there :(

Last nite I discovered what I thought was for the "for sure! this is it!" fix. At some point during the original owner's tenure, someone used a huuge glob of JB-Weld-like epoxy to adhere the hood liner roughly 2' back from the latch. I was dumbfounded finding this. Yes, the epoxy is tough. But, it pulled away from the liner fabric probably 1 day after it was installed.

I found the above by gently tapping on the hood liner and it made the sharp rattle sound, but it was not the solution :(

·
Registered
Cadillac
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also last night I removed the glovebox and right side dash speaker. There might be a couple culprits in there. Found one large/heavy connector that could be the rattle-meister. Did not test drive a 2nd time last night. Was getting late and I didn't want to feel like I didn't accomplish anything again. Today is another day...

·
Registered
Cadillac
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FOUND IT! For as much as the rattle sounded like it was from the dash glovebox area, it was not.

The pass side hood hinge was the culprit!

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
675 Posts
I'm glad you posted the fix, never would have thought of that although it does look shiny.

·
Registered
Cadillac
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is an interesting fastener situation for sure. In the far lower right of the photo, there is a bolt that holds the main part of the hing in place. Why is there not a bolt through the area of the arrow? Crazy. That part of the hinge is ~6" long and there's only one bolt at the front holding it in place!?

All this because I put new shocks on the car... ha!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts