Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Escalade, 2008 STS-V
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I T-Boned a truck that crossed in front of me a couple of weeks ago and have some issues that I was wondering if anyone else has had or heard of. 1. The air bags did not deploy. Not real sure of my speed, between 20 and 40 MPH. Is there a speed where the bags will not deploy? 2. Also, jumped on the brakes hard! At first I felt like I could stop and not hit the truck, then it felt like the brakes released and would not grab. No pumping feeling in the pedal like the ABS was working.

The repair shop says the airbag light is on (don't know what that means, bags won't work?) but there were no lights on of any kind before the accident. I've had the Escalade since it was new and have had no problems with brakes or SRS. I've notified GM and they are supposed to get back with me.

My baby girl and myself were not injured, but my wife was banged up some. Don't know how that happened cause she was wearing her seat belt. Unless it didn't grab and restrain her?

Thanks,

SugsPa

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The air bag light is on because it's detecting a problem in the system(could have been caused by the crash)

I would be checking the brake lines as they have been known to rust then rupture when you need them the most

If your going under 30mph(give or take) the air bags won't deploy (I know from experience)

Not sure as to why your wife's seat belt didn't retract as it should have as both are triggered at the same time in a collision like this

I know how your feeling and I hope you and your wife recover from it even if the truck has to be replaced

----------

I would get checked out though(your kid for sure) as injuries don't always show up right away

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
You likely do not know....there is a black box on your truck that records vehicle data during a wreck. Speed, throttle, brake, seat belt usage etc. A GM tech2 cannot access this data. Ask a GM dealer about the black box and you'll get a funny look. They don't know about it. It's there...

See www.airbagcrash.com

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Logandiagnostic said:
You likely do not know....there is a black box on your truck that records vehicle data during a wreck. Speed, throttle, brake, seat belt usage etc. A GM tech2 cannot access this data. Ask a GM dealer about the black box and you'll get a funny look. They don't know about it. It's there... See www.airbagcrash.com
It's in the air bag brain module(gm service manual)
Of corse some will say the onstar can be called a black box also since it also sends data to them in a crash

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It is in the air bag SDM (SDM is a GM term). It is rarely mentioned in the service manual. It is always mentioned in the owners manual. See 'event data recorders' or 'EDR' (legal issue). Ford had to block access to their crash data on a few cars because it was not printed in the owners manual. (legal issue).

It is called lots of different things. Black box..EDR...event data recorder.

OnStar...hard to say. OnStar is just a fancy onboard cell phone. Legally what exactly is being sent to OnStar in a crash is up for debate. I suspect it is more then just crash notification.

A Tech2 cannot get the crash data. A GM dealer may suggest they can...they cannot. It requires a very specific piece of equipment.

The Tech2 is considered a diagnostic tool. The Bosch CDR is considered a forensic tool.

Anyway...there is a black box.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl
342 Posts
Also, jumped on the brakes hard! At first I felt like I could stop and not hit the truck, then it felt like the brakes released and would not grab. No pumping feeling in the pedal like the ABS was working.

I know the feeling. Everyone should check their brake lines.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Skier-24 said:
Also, jumped on the brakes hard! At first I felt like I could stop and not hit the truck, then it felt like the brakes released and would not grab. No pumping feeling in the pedal like the ABS was working. I know the feeling. Everyone should check their brake lines.
More often for us who drive in snow and salt as the salt does some nasty stuff to them(and other parts of the truck)

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
I heard they once had a voice recorder that would record and save the last 30 seconds before a crash. They said the most common recording here in Wisconsin was, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
I heard they once had a voice recorder that would record and save the last 30 seconds before a crash. They said the most common recording here in Wisconsin was, "Hold my beer and watch this!"
I find the voice recorder hard to believe
But then again I have heard of weirder

Though that line always makes me laugh as I know what happens afterwards

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The entire airbag system has to be replaced. All the airbags, modules, everything that has to do with the airbags are being replaced. The event data recorder showed that the bags should have deployed, but did not. So, the insurance company wants everything to do with the airbags replaced. I feel like Cadillac should have to replace them at no charge. Going to cost the insurance company over $3000.00 which will be eventually passed on to me most likely. I haven't had a chance to check the brakes yet.

SugsPa

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
SugsPa said:
The entire airbag system has to be replaced. All the airbags, modules, everything that has to do with the airbags are being replaced. The event data recorder showed that the bags should have deployed, but did not. So, the insurance company wants everything to do with the airbags replaced. I feel like Cadillac should have to replace them at no charge. Going to cost the insurance company over $3000.00 which will be eventually passed on to me most likely. I haven't had a chance to check the brakes yet. SugsPa
That's a bummer bud
I can see from a legal standpoint as to where they want all airbag parts replaced even if they didn't deploy
I would be talking to a dealer and finding out as to why they didn't do what they was built to do

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Curious....how did you get the EDR downloaded? A GM dealer can't do it.

There was a deployment command in the EDR data? How many pages of crash data?

We have the equipment that can download the EDR. Would be difficult to find the equipment in Paducah, KY..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It wasn't in Paducah, in Clarksville, TN. And not sure unless it was taken to your hometown. I know it left the body shop and has been gone for going on two weeks. I don't know who can replace the entire system unless it is a dealer. But, good questions to ask, I'll see if I can find out.

SugsPa

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
SugsPa said:
The entire airbag system has to be replaced. All the airbags, modules, everything that has to do with the airbags are being replaced. The event data recorder showed that the bags should have deployed, but did not. So, the insurance company wants everything to do with the airbags replaced. I feel like Cadillac should have to replace them at no charge. Going to cost the insurance company over $3000.00 which will be eventually passed on to me most likely. I haven't had a chance to check the brakes yet. SugsPa
Surprised the insurance co didn't total the truck. My wife had both front & passenger airbag deployment due to an accident on our 2003 Tahoe that had 170K miles on it. Truck was declared totaled because of it.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Huddy said:
Surprised the insurance co didn't total the truck. My wife had both front & passenger airbag deployment due to an accident on our 2003 Tahoe that had 170K miles on it. Truck was declared totaled because of it.
Most times though if the air bags don't deploy some insurance companies will not total it
I had that happen with my previous car(99 Chrysler cordorde lxi) I had a small fender bender with my neighbor(who was also a family relative) I thought for sure it was totaled(snapped the tie rod and damaged the front strut)

After the shop got it in and looked it over my relatives insurance repaired it(surprisingly)
I never felt safe in it though as it had damage to the rocker panel somehow as he had sideswiped it after he clipped my front bumper(the shop fixed it but still safety was a huge concern there)

I had just over 100,000 miles on it when that happened but what kept it from getting totaled was due to the cash for clunkers program(it raised the value)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So.....sounds like no one has provided you with the actual crash file. It's your data..demand it if they have it. The equipment and software needed to get the crash data is expensive and not something that is just sitting around nearby.

Typically, the insurance company will claim they have the crash data file or had the black box downloaded. Refuse to show it to you and for some reason decide you are at fault and deny the claim. They are full of BS and are bluffing. Have them cough up the crash file to prove it.

In your case...someone claims the EDR shows the airbags should have deployed...and they want to replace the entire system.

Very odd....not how it normally goes down. I guess that is why we are interested in what's going on. I cannot imagine a insurance company wanting to replace the entire system for a non-deployment. Very strange...

Let us know.

http://www.airbagcrash.com

1 - 20 of 33 Posts