Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 07 cts 3.6 is throwing a crankshaft sensor code. I replaced the sensor and reset the computer but the light came back. So far no perfomance problems that I have noticed other than occasionally taking a second longer to turn on but I need to get rid of the code for smog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a different reader this time and now I'm thinking maybe timing? Because it says crank position and cam position correlation.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does it sound like some clanging going on near the front of the engine at idle and when you rev it up and down a little ? Possible loose chain issue also. 07 3.6 is gonna be suspect.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it sound like some clanging going on near the front of the engine at idle and when you rev it up and down a little ? Possible loose chain issue also. 07 3.6 is gonna be suspect.

Steve
I haven't noticed any noise so far. I'll pay some close attention and see but as of now I'd say no

·
Registered
23 Posts
DTC P0017 Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation Bank 1

can be caused by various reasons one of which is the timing itself as one of the members suggested but i wouldn't suspect it just yet

this fault as i read is due to different readings or values from the CKP and the CMP which makes the ECM not able to determine the top dead center of the Crankshaft

I would ask these questions to narrow the possible fault

was the sensor you bought new
was it GENUINE
Are you sure of the proper installation and connection of it
are the wiring all good not burnt or cut or corroded
did the car had any timing chain repair on it
did the car had any crankshaft reluctor wheel repair or removed before (for a rear seal replacement for example)

if no repairs were done and you don't hear any noises and as you mention a good performance then i would suspect a sensor issue either a camshaft sensor or crankshaft

here's the repair and diagnostic sheet from the service manual

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it was genuine and new and when i put it in it was a very simple swap just one bolt and the wiring snapped in well. The old crankshaft sensor looked perfectly fine and hardly even dirty. I haven't attempted the camshaft sensor yet but I'll do the research tonight. Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just a thought...given that you already changed the crankshaft sensor, the problem may well be one of the camshaft sensors on bank 1 (passenger side). One way to test this is to swap both cam sensors between banks, clear the codes, and try again. If one of the former bank 1 sensors is bad the code should shift to bank 2. Unfortunately removing the bank 1 sensors requires taking off the ECM. At least bank 2 is somewhat easier!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts